How to decrypt yEnc?

Old April 16th 07, 09:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Willem Van der Voort

Default How to decrypt yEnc?

"Woody" schreef in bericht
. net...
Real ADVANCED! going through three programs just to see a picture. Grow
up. My solution is to put all yenc posters in the kill file.

I do the same for years, I found out, the average yEnc poster is unable to
post a file the normal way (jpg in one file and a good compression) +/- 160
Kb for a 1200 x 1000 picture.

Many times they post a 1 Mb or more picture in 3 e-mails.

You not only have to decode but also have to combine the files.

In the bin of course.

Old April 16th 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Meyer

Default How to decrypt yEnc? - "7832-test.jpg" yEnc (1/1) 270112 bytes

In article ,
"RustY©" wrote:

This file was encoded with the new yEnc encoding scheme, designed to save
bandwidth by dramatically reducing the 30%+ overhead incurred by UU and
Base64.
For more info, see http://www.yenc.org/

=ybegin line=128 size=270112 name=7832-test.jpg

Rusty that was a good illustration of yEnc! (Nice photo too.)

I get so very tired of people whining about those who use yEnc.

--
One is always considered mad when one perfects something that others can
not grasp.*- Ed Wood
Old April 16th 07, 09:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Willem Van der Voort

"RustY©" schreef in bericht
. 163...

This file was encoded with the new yEnc encoding scheme, designed to save
bandwidth by dramatically reducing the 30%+ overhead incurred by UU and
Base64.
For more info, see http://www.yenc.org/

This file was NOT encoded with the new yEnc.... Result 64Kb

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7832-test.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	10040
Old April 16th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
The Good Poster[_2_]

"AWem" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:09:44 GMT, "J.F."
wrote:

I use "yproxy". It will cost $17 and it is well worth it. I used to hate
it when someone posted in yenc.

"Steffensen" wrote in message
.dk...
yEmc seems to be some sort of crypto - how do U see it?

This is sure to be unpopular, but I've seeing "no Yenc" comments -
rules, sometimes - on newsgroups for at least 10 years or so. That was
chiefly because people didn't want to pay up for it (or even, to pay
at all).

But the Yenc compression has very real advantages in terms of enhanced
resolution but with reduced file size; for newsgroup users who
download binaries, in fact, it's a real service.

10 years on and the world has gone from Windows Diddly Squat to Vista.
I think we should embrace the future. In my case, I paid something
minimal for a proper version of Agent (www.forteinc.com) and have
never given it a second thought in all the years since.

It's even more encouraging to see that there are free Yenc decoders
available now.

Andy

Ok, here's my question - and it's a real question, not a position. Is there
a non-porn photo group where yEnc is the norm?

Old April 16th 07, 11:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Maple1

nope

Old April 17th 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Luke

"The Good Poster" wrote in message

Ok, here's my question - and it's a real question, not a position. Is
there a non-porn photo group where yEnc is the norm?

No, but I am starting to see complaints about it there again as well....
When it first came out it was a flame war there until the yEnc'ers seemed to
have won the fight (if not the argument), and it bacame the defacto norm
(for better or worse, like it or not). But now the debate is starting again
as yEnc's advantages are being eroded away by the growth of high speed.

Luke

Old April 17th 07, 03:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Harrington

"Willem Van der Voort" wrote in
:

"RustY©" schreef in bericht
. 163...

This file was encoded with the new yEnc encoding scheme, designed to
save bandwidth by dramatically reducing the 30%+ overhead incurred by
UU and Base64.
For more info, see http://www.yenc.org/

This file was NOT encoded with the new yEnc.... Result 64Kb

JPG is a 'lossy' image compression scheme. yEnc is a lossless file
transmission protocol. They are not the same. Tranmission of binary
files on Usenet requires encoding as the Usenet protocol - NNTP - does not
allow for the straight transmission of 8 bit data, instead requiring it be
recoded to a 7 bit ASCII format using a method called 'MIME'. This
expands the size of the ~transmitted~ file by a rather hefty amount. Once
it is decoded on the receiving computer it is once again the original file
as sent by the poster.

yEnc is a different, more efficient form of transmission encoding that,
like MIME, has no effect on the data in the original file. What it does
is use bandwidth more effectively by using fewer bytes. This may not be
so noticeable with small files like image JPGs, but it certainly helps
with larger files such as video and disc images, legal or otherwise.

Rusty's example showed how much transmission bandwidth can be saved for
the same ~identical~ JPG image using MIME vs yEnc.

Willem's example showed how easily you can corrupt a beautiful image with
JPG artifacts by over-compressing it.

I use the free XNews newsreader to follow this group. It handles yEnc
transparently with no problems. I have used yProxy in the past with
similar trouble free results. The main complaint I hear about yEnc is the
MS Outlook Express does not support it 'out of the box', and a lot of
folks still use OE for newsreading.

A sizeable percentage of this group have requested that others please use
MIME rather than yEnc when posting, most of the regulars have agreed to do
this out of courtesy. I find it a little annoying when a new poster gets
flamed immediately for posting in yEnc rather than being asked politely if
they will use MIME - it is just a bit rude to blow someone arse over
teacups out the door when they arrive with new images to share,
dontchathink?

My two cents, and I expect change!

Bob ^,,^
Old April 17th 07, 03:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Colin Wilson

Flying Frog wrote:

The best one (and I tested a lot of softs before to chose mine), in
my mind, is "Mes News". You can find it the
http://www.mesnews.net/gb/ (free and in English)

.... or give XanaNews a try. It's free, handles these yEnc files fine,
and was written by an a.b.p.aviation fan - me!

http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/xananews.htm

--
Colin
Old April 17th 07, 05:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John[_8_]

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:28:42 +0200, "Steffensen"
wrote:

yEmc seems to be some sort of crypto - how do U see it?

First of all, quit using Outlook Express to read newsgroups. yEnc
isn't the only thing OE won't do. Go here and get a decent newsreader
(free or paid options). Agent decodes yEnc files just fine.

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

I've been using this program for 15 years or so. Occasionally try some
others, but have always ended up back with Agent. It's also very easy
to learn unlike some of the others I have tried.

J. W. Alger
Old April 18th 07, 01:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Q. Why can't I see this message?
A. Because (insert offenders nick here) is one of those yEncer ******s who
think they will save Usenet by posting stuff most people can't decode. They
use up server space and bandwidth to post messages that have a limited
audience.