Camphill, Glider G-CJOZ

Old May 27th 08, 05:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew B

Default Camphill, Glider G-CJOZ

Picture taken 21st May 2008

--
Andrew B (Cheshire, England)

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
(Lord Kelvin, president Royal Society, 1895.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_05200141.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	26066
Old May 27th 08, 07:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

That is a nice old bird!!!

Wayne
HP14 "Six Foxtrot"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

"Andrew B" wrote in message
om...
Picture taken 21st May 2008

Old May 27th 08, 07:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew B

Firstly a correction to my post, the registration should have read G-CJQZ.

I understand from a search that it is a Schleicher K8B but I don't know the
age.

They had four or five various gliders flying when I popped into the viewing
car park but as ever my lens struggled to get close enough to any of them as
the airfield covers quite a large area.

--
Andrew B (Cheshire, England)

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
(Lord Kelvin, president Royal Society, 1895.)

m...

Old May 27th 08, 08:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

There were about 1,000 of these nice KA-8 sailplanes built in the early
1960s. Their wing and tail feathers are wood and fabric and the fuselage is
steel tubing and fabric. The are still a great entry level glider and fun
to fly.

I use to own a Ka-6E which was all wood and fabric. It was my first
sailplane.
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogallery/valley/Ka-6E.jpg
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogaller...with_Ka-6E.jpg

Wayne
HP16 "Six Foxtrot"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

news

Old May 27th 08, 08:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew B

The Schreder HP-14 looks a lot more modern and with the pretty great
thermals you must get around there you can probably stay up an awful lot
longer than they do at Camphill.

It is interesting that so many KA-8's were built though I suspect that
there are still quite a few flying in the UK.

Just for information the Camphill web site http://www.dlgc.org.uk/
--

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
There were about 1,000 of these nice KA-8 sailplanes built in the early
1960s. Their wing and tail feathers are wood and fabric and the fuselage
is steel tubing and fabric. The are still a great entry level glider and
fun to fly.

I use to own a Ka-6E which was all wood and fabric. It was my first
sailplane.
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogallery/valley/Ka-6E.jpg
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogaller...with_Ka-6E.jpg

Wayne
HP16 "Six Foxtrot"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

news

Old May 27th 08, 10:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

Andrew,

The HP14 was designed in 1964 and made available in kit form in 1965.
Slingsby also built a few. Mine was completed in 1972; however, I didn't
build it. It is advertised to have a glide ration of 40 to 1, but I believe
mine is only about 36 to 1. It is a metal (aluminum) glider built using
flush rivets.

So far my best flight is a 300 km triangle flown out of Mackay, Idaho.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Flights/6F_Gold_Distance.html
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...tId=1134806661
The GoogleEarth file is located at
http://www.soaridaho.com/Flights/GE/Gold_Distance.kmz

It is old and will not keep up with the modern composit sailplane; however,
I'm having a lots of fun!!

Wayne
HP14 "Six Foxtrot)
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old May 28th 08, 02:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:47:28 +0100, Andrew B wrote
(in message ) :

Firstly a correction to my post, the registration should have read G-CJQZ.

You were right the first time - it is in fact G-CJOZ.

I understand from a search that it is a Schleicher K8B but I don't know the
age.

It was built in 1971 and is one of 58 K 8Bs (and one K 8C) on the
UK register.

Old May 28th 08, 03:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew B

"Netko" wrote in message
x.com...
On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:47:28 +0100, Andrew B wrote
(in message ) :

Firstly a correction to my post, the registration should have read
G-CJQZ.

You were right the first time - it is in fact G-CJOZ.

I understand from a search that it is a Schleicher K8B but I don't know
the
age.

It was built in 1971 and is one of 58 K 8Bs (and one K 8C) on the
UK register.

I do seem to have trouble with the register system, I thought I had worked
out with the three letter BGA system and then these G-*** registrations
appeared. Marking the craft JQZ on the tail and then G-CJOZ on the body
didn't seem right so when I found JQZ in the BGA system I thought that I was
misreading the letters on the body.

Thank you for the correction and the information regarding numbers
registered.

Old May 28th 08, 03:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew B

Wayne,

Thank you again for the information, It must have been a great flight to
cover that distance.

One day I must get around to having a trial flight.

Keep having fun and enjoying the spectacular scenery you have there.

Old May 28th 08, 05:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:18:26 +0100, Andrew B wrote
(in message ) :

I do seem to have trouble with the register system, I thought I had worked
out with the three letter BGA system and then these G-*** registrations
appeared. Marking the craft JQZ on the tail and then G-CJOZ on the body
didn't seem right so when I found JQZ in the BGA system I thought that I was
misreading the letters on the body.

The BGA's 3-letter code was normally used as the last three when
gliders had to be registered. However, the letter Q is not
permitted in UK registration marks so the next available letter was
allocated instead - in this case, confusingly, the letter O.

Unless, of course, the owners deliberately reserved O to spread
confusion and doubt.

Jet Glider 33 Soaring 5 March 19th 08 03:09 AM
Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 19th 06 11:08 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
First Glider Jeff Runciman Soaring 8 September 10th 04 06:39 PM
First Glider Jeff Runciman Soaring 4 September 9th 04 11:53 AM