When to acknowledge ATC

Old May 5th 05, 10:21 PM
Andrew

Default When to acknowledge ATC

ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission? How about when ATC says "altimeter
setting 2992" on your first contact after a handoff? Does this require
acknowledgement?

In the past, I've acknowledged such things if the controller was not
busy. But I've heard all kinds. Some people read back the altimeter
setting. I've even heard people reading back the "radar contact"
message. I feel that this is a waste of bandwidth. However, I don't
know what ATC prefers. Do they want read back for everything, or should
we shut up as much as possible?

Old May 5th 05, 10:39 PM
A Lieberman

On 5 May 2005 14:21:41 -0700, Andrew wrote:

ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission?

Yes. I read back all instructions. So, I would acknowledge the initial
contact:

proceed on course, 43 Lima. No need to repeat the location as that is what
I believe ATC's verification of your position.

How about when ATC says "altimeter
setting 2992" on your first contact after a handoff? Does this require
acknowledgement?

I don't think altimeter readings are "required", however, if anything, from
what I understand it helps ATC to see that you hear them. So, I would read
29.92, 43 lima

What I wonder is, is it better to say your tail number first or after your
acknowledgement or read back of instructions. I tend to flip flop.

Allen
Old May 6th 05, 10:23 PM
Icebound

"A Lieberman" wrote in message

What I wonder is, is it better to say your tail number first or after your
acknowledgement or read back of instructions. I tend to flip flop.

Technically, you are shortcutting:

"xyz tower, this is whatever-type ... four three lima. Roger, here is my
readback of your instructions"

you throw out the "xyx tower, this is whatever-type ...", but your tail
number is still left in, so it is now first, as in: "four three lima....
roger, two niner, niner two."

Unfortunately, if we do not include the "roger", then "four three lima....
two niner niner two" seems clumsy and that's when we flip-flop to "two niner
niner two.... four three lima" as being somehow more natural.

But I still prefer...: "four three lima.... roger, two niner niner two" as
the most natural of all.

Of course, VFR, I would never read back anything except
runway-hold-short-or-cross instructions, unless specifically requested to do
so.... so it would only be the acknowledgement: "four three lima".

Old May 5th 05, 10:43 PM
R.L.

Depends on the context. Is "proceed on course" a clearance into Class B?
I'd WILCO it generally. The altimeter setting is another story. I'd just
say ROGER, thanks.

oups.com...

Old May 5th 05, 11:16 PM

"R.L." wrote:
[snip] I'd just say ROGER, thanks.

My first instructor, when teaching me the radios, said: "DO *NOT* say
'Roger!'" Maybe it was just her pet peeve, but she insisted that it was
more professional to acknowledge with your tail number vs. saying
"Roger" ... i.e., "95B, thanks".
Old May 5th 05, 11:33 PM
R.L.

The AIM defines the term "Roger" as, "I have received all of your last
transmission," and states that it "should not be used to answer a question
requiring a yes or no answer."

The altimeter setting is not a clearance or a question, but an advisory
transmission. ROGER fits the bill.

Old May 6th 05, 03:54 AM
Peter R.

"R.L." wrote:

The altimeter setting is not a clearance or a question, but an advisory
transmission. ROGER fits the bill.

Yep, I hear this all the time, especially from ATC.

"Somewhere Approach, Bonanza 123 reporting tops at 6,500."

"Bonanza 123, Roger."

--
Peter

Old May 6th 05, 10:00 PM
Icebound

wrote in message
"R.L." wrote:
[snip] I'd just say ROGER, thanks.

My first instructor, when teaching me the radios, said: "DO *NOT* say
'Roger!'" Maybe it was just her pet peeve, but she insisted that it was
more professional to acknowledge with your tail number vs. saying
"Roger" ... i.e., "95B, thanks".

"Roger" is definitely more professional than "Thanks". Now THAT is truly a
waste of bandwidth. Any "aviation-communication" text that I have ever
read, discourages the use of "thanks" or "thank you" etc... as being totally
redundant and useless...

If you do not intend to say "roger", then just say "niner fife bravo" and
nothing more.

Old May 7th 05, 07:29 PM
Peter R.

Icebound wrote:

"Roger" is definitely more professional than "Thanks". Now THAT is truly a
waste of bandwidth. Any "aviation-communication" text that I have ever
read, discourages the use of "thanks" or "thank you" etc... as being totally
redundant and useless...

There's the text and then there is the reality, a difference that someone
who only reads about aviation most likely misses. A small thank you is not
redundant and useless, especially if the controller really did do something
that made your flying just a bit easier. After all, we are still civilized
human beings.

For example, when I am approaching my class C airport from the opposite end
of the active runway, I will often request a straight-in to the opposite
runway (winds depending). A move like this will shave off perhaps ten
minutes of vectors and after a long flight, this might mean the difference
between a properly emptied bladder and an improperly emptied bladder.

Often times ATC will go out of their way to accommodate this request,
including slowing up an aircraft being vectored for an approach to the
active runway. Keep in mind that ATC has absolutely no obligation to do
this and a "thank you" from me hopefully demonstrates to him/her that
his/her efforts were appreciated.

Conversely, I have been thanked many times by ATC after doing something
that made their work a little easier, such as 360s, S-turns, not
complaining when being vectored through the localizer to join on the other
side, or going around. I certainly like to hear those words.

--
Peter

Old May 8th 05, 11:42 AM
Cub Driver

I often listen to the tower at Pease tradeport (and National Guard
base) across the bay. Professional pilots regularly thank the tower,
and routinely say "G'day" upon departing the Delta airspace.

If I am flying through the airspace low and slow for a tour of Great
Bay, I call upon leaving the Class D to give my position and altitude
and to say "Thank you Pease!"

Perhaps things are more formal in Charlie airspace; I don't know.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com