Hummer vs Skylane

Old July 14th 05, 07:37 PM
Tina Marie

In article , Nathan Young wrote:
plane gets better mileage than the truck. Too bad 100LL is $1.00
more expensive than 87 octane. (I just paid $4.04 last week, ouch).

I paid $4.21 at TraJen in Austin last weekend. And that was the
cheap gas on the field - Signature was $4.40.

Tina Marie

--
http://www.tripacerdriver.com "...One of the main causes
of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way
Old July 14th 05, 08:14 PM
nobody

They only charge that much because the weather is so
nice and cool here :-)

You could have refueled in Georgetown (KGTU) at $2.75 per
gallon, or at Burnet (KBMQ) for a bit less than that.

Ronnie
Austin, TX

Old July 14th 05, 08:30 PM
Nathan Young

On 14 Jul 2005 07:08:34 -0700, "Paul kgyy"
wrote:

My low wing Arrow gets about 14mpg at 75%, 100 ROP, 175 mph. If I'm
willing to accept 150 and run LOP, I can get it all the way up to 16
mpg. But I don't own a car.

175mph is motoring for an Arrow. T-Arrow? Or do you have speed mods?
Old July 15th 05, 12:35 AM
Dan Luke

"Guy Byars" wrote:

I just realized that my Skylane gets about the same gas mileage as a
Hummer.
I burn about 13gal per hour and go about 130 knots... 10nm per gallon,
or
11.5 miles per gallon.

157 mph on 10.5 gph. = 14.9 mpg.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 15th 05, 01:09 AM
Carl Orton

As they say in racing, "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

"Guy Byars" wrote in message
. ..
I just realized that my Skylane gets about the same gas mileage as a
Hummer.
I burn about 13gal per hour and go about 130 knots... 10nm per gallon, or
11.5 miles per gallon. Now granted I am going in a straight line, and 3
times as fast, but still that is awful mileage. Now my old Cessna 140
did
a lot better, 105mph at 5gph... more like about 20 miles per gallon.

Can anyone boast better mileage?

Old July 15th 05, 01:45 AM
bill hunter

I typically get better speeds than that at 65% when over 10000 ft in my
turbo T tail. Typically 16mph, and 180 to 200 mph TAS. Its really fun at the
end of a trip when you cut the throttle way back, and cruise down at Vno
while sipping gas.
My E6B says that I can get 175mph at 5000 ft and 20C when my IAS is 140 kts,
and I don't even need oxygen.

Old July 15th 05, 03:08 PM
Steve Foley

If I flew that slowly, I'd fall out of the sky!

"bill hunter" wrote in message
Typically 16mph,

Old July 15th 05, 04:08 PM
Paul kgyy

It's a 69 model, normally aspirated, 200 hp, no speed mods. I can get
175 if I'm alone on board, 7000 ft and run "best power" at 75% and
about 100 ROP. The 69-71 models were the fastest. Earlier ones had
180 hp, and starting in 1972 they made them bigger but used the same
200 hp engine.

Old July 15th 05, 08:49 PM
Robert M. Gary

Mooney. 150 knots on 10 gal/hr. About 18 mpg.

Old July 16th 05, 03:54 AM
bill hunter

obviously 16mpg, but it would be neat if it could fly that slow.

Skylane wheel pants GFC Owning 0 March 15th 04 01:38 AM
Skylane Alternator problems MLenoch Owning 7 December 11th 03 09:37 PM
Skylane Alternator MLenoch Piloting 1 December 8th 03 02:37 PM
Cessna 182 Skylane Gear Strut Fairings SAC Aviation Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 11:36 PM
1965 Cessna P206 Super Skylane Montblack Owning 1 October 4th 03 11:14 PM