Mustang Collision Oshkosh

Old July 29th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Mustang Collision Oshkosh

Big John wrote:

Dudley. Where did you see the full important part of the pattern
through the accident? Can you give me the URL?

This link has a film clip of the crash picking them up on final through
impact.
DH

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-7ad4367b4d28&
Old July 29th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
flypaper

Mxsmanic wrote:
Big John wrote:

In my 650 hours in the bird, I never saw formation landings.
Sometimes the birds got close together after touch down but the wing
man never got up into a formation position or passed the ship ahead.

I have done hundreds of formation landings in P-51s. Those two at
Oshkosh must have been total losers to crash doing something so
simple.

Don't we have enough bull**** floating around here without a fake troll
trolling the troll????

Old July 29th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

mxsmanic

Probably should have used a better set of words.

Formation landings in the 51 is a high risk operation. It can be done
with two very experienced pilots with a good briefing on who does what
when and practice.

Did you land wings over lapped in tight formation or spread out where
an overrun would not hit the lead ship?

Did both ships make wheel landings or three point landings? Or lead
wheel and wing three point?

There is less margin for error in the tail wheel 51 than the nose
wheel birds. With the nose wheel you can tromp hard on the brakes to
prevent over running.

Have a nice day.

Big John

Old July 29th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Blueskies

After asking the question I saw a later photo of accident where the
fuselage was clear and saw it was not a bubble.

Tnx

Big John

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:50:02 GMT, "Blueskies"
wrote:

"Big John" wrote in message ...
Jim

On the "A" model of second bird. Did someone put an allison engine in
it? Did it have a bird cage or bubble?

Keep um flying.

Big John

It had the three bladed prop so I assume Allison engine and the bird cage fastback fuselage...

Old July 29th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"flypaper" wrote in news:273ri.106177$wG2.51389
@newsfe17.lga:

Mxsmanic wrote:
Big John wrote:

In my 650 hours in the bird, I never saw formation landings.
Sometimes the birds got close together after touch down but the wing
man never got up into a formation position or passed the ship ahead.

I have done hundreds of formation landings in P-51s. Those two at
Oshkosh must have been total losers to crash doing something so
simple.

Don't we have enough bull**** floating around here without a fake troll
trolling the troll????

Apparently not

Bertie
Old July 29th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Dudleyt

Had been on the site and before and didn't this time either find a clp
of base, final of either or both A/C?

Can you point me a little closer? They may have taken it down and only
NZTSB has it now?

Big John

Old July 29th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Dudley

See what happens when you hurry. Both on internet and flying. Just
more dangerous flying (

Pardon the typos.

Had to hit a store before it closed on Sunday.

Big John
************************************************** **88

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:46:12 -0500, Big John
wrote:

Dudleyt

Had been on the site before and didn't this time either find a clp
of base and final of either or both A/C?

Can you point me a little closer? They may have taken it down and only
NTSB has it now?

Big John
************************************************* *

Old July 29th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Mxsmanic

Where did you fly the 51? What AAC organization and theater?

Or did you fly with a Guard unit (which one) after the war?

What power setting did lead hold on final so wing could stay in
formation?

Interested in your replies to these technical questions I have posed.

Old July 29th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Big John" wrote in message ...
Dudleyt

Had been on the site and before and didn't this time either find a clp
of base, final of either or both A/C?

Can you point me a little closer? They may have taken it down and only
NZTSB has it now?

Big John

Try this:

http://www.aero-tv.net/index.cfm?vid...b-6f3b0f149c4d

Old July 29th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Blueskies" wrote:

"Big John" wrote in message
Jim

On the "A" model of second bird. Did someone put an allison engine in
it? Did it have a bird cage or bubble?

Keep um flying.

Big John

It had the three bladed prop so I assume Allison engine and the bird cage
fastback fuselage...

It was a completely "scratch-built" P-51A, which has been featured in
Sport Aviation and several other publications. The A model (and the A-36
variant) had the Allison engine. The Merlin-engined B models and on had
the Merlin and a bigger radiator scoop.