O.T. from Afganistan

Old March 2nd 04, 05:17 AM
Jim Baker

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
news:UcU0c.22812$qL1.2255@fed1read02...
"Jim Baker" wrote in message

I was flying B-1s at Dyess from 1986 to 1991. I'm sure your friends

were
impressed with the flyover, and I don't doubt their word, but nobody was
flying less than 400 feet and no one was flying supersonic in that area

in
Bone. Fast I'm sure, but not ss.

The no warning feature is one of the great things about the B-1. Flying

low
in B-52s, the wild horses and cattle can see and maybe hear you coming.
They start running as you approach. In the Bone, they never moved.

Didn't
see or hear us. Odd.

Cheers,

JB

JB,

Could it be that the BONE pushes less of a pressure wave out front?

Maybe the BUFF pushed enough air that animals could sense it (ala an
earthquake before it happens...) but the BONE is too clean?

Just musing out loud...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Student Pilot - KCHD
3.2 Hrs ... Nowhere to go but up!

That very well could be Jay. I really don't know, but I think that it's the
visual "footprint". A Buff is a huge black figure in the sky, even coming
at you. The B-1, with wings swept, is a much small visual head on, I'd
guess, even to a horses/steers eye. LOL

Thirty years ago right now I was living in Chandler, actually at Williams
AFB. I was a student there from 10/72 until 10/73 and then stayed on until
6/76 as a T-38 IP. I was in Chandler about 6 years ago...much changed from
the '70s. What a great first assignment...really loved that area.

Regards,

JB

Old March 2nd 04, 02:01 PM
Wdtabor

In article UcU0c.22812$qL1.2255@fed1read02, "Jay Beckman"
writes:

Could it be that the BONE pushes less of a pressure wave out front?

Maybe the BUFF pushed enough air that animals could sense it (ala an
earthquake before it happens...) but the BONE is too clean?

Just musing out loud...

That pressure wave moves at the speed of sound, just like the sound if the
aircraft is supersonic, and slower if subsonic.

But it is possible that sound conducted through the ground in response to the
approach of the aircraft arrives ahead of the sound in the air, and the B52
directs more energy downward into the earth than the B-1B.

But that is also just musing.

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old March 9th 04, 02:51 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Wdtabor" wrote in message
Well, they didn't go supersonic, but at an airshow here at NAS Norfolk, a

B-1
did a demo that included a slow flight pass, dirty, ending by sucking up

the
gear and throwing in the burners in that nose high attitude. The resulting
BOOM! set off every car alarm on the base.

I was impressed.

I used to go to Heathrow every so often to stand under Concorde as it
took off to get the same sensation. It would also set off all the car alarms
at Hatton Cross if it took off on 09.

Difference is, at an airshow you have to be on a line parallel to the flight
line...at Heathrow, you can stand right under it! :-)

Paul

Old March 9th 04, 02:55 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Jim Baker" wrote in message
The no warning feature is one of the great things about the B-1. Flying

low
in B-52s, the wild horses and cattle can see and maybe hear you coming.
They start running as you approach. In the Bone, they never moved.

Didn't
see or hear us. Odd.

Could it be that the BONE pushes less of a pressure wave out front?

Well, travelling just below mach 1 doesn't give much time for the sound
to arrive before you do.

Paul

Old March 9th 04, 03:00 PM
Paul Sengupta

Back during the testing of the Hawker Hunter in the 1950s, they
were tested at supersonic speeds (in a dive) around Surrey and
Sussex (the area I currently live in), flying out of Dunsfold. I recently
read Neville Duke's autobiography (test pilot) and he describes the
first time he realised he'd gone past mach 1...it was when one of the
locals said to him in the pub "Good run this morning". It had generated
"one of they queer bangs".

Paul

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
. ..
Too bad we have that silly rule about not breaking sound barriers in
populated areas here in the states. I'd love to witness that some day.

Old March 10th 04, 11:43 PM
David CL Francis

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 at 15:00:50 in message
, Paul Sengupta
wrote:
Back during the testing of the Hawker Hunter in the 1950s, they
were tested at supersonic speeds (in a dive) around Surrey and
Sussex (the area I currently live in), flying out of Dunsfold. I recently
read Neville Duke's autobiography (test pilot) and he describes the
first time he realised he'd gone past mach 1...it was when one of the
locals said to him in the pub "Good run this morning". It had generated
"one of they queer bangs".

During some Farnborough Air Shows in the early 1950s sonic 'booms' were
a regular feature. On that tragic day in August 1952 we heard sonic
booms from the Hunter and the ill-fated DH110 which produced a well
aimed 'boom' shortly before its arrival in the circuit and its
catastrophic break up in the air which killed, I think, 28 people.

Some parts of that day were engraved into my memory.

In addition, later at Filton, parts of the Bristol area were
deliberately subjected to 'booms' as part of an experiment to see how
people might react to Concorde. Those I believe were produced by USA
F100 Super Sabres.
--
David CL Francis
Old March 11th 04, 03:40 PM
G.R. Patterson III

David CL Francis wrote:

During some Farnborough Air Shows in the early 1950s sonic 'booms' were
a regular feature.

I remember hearing them in the '50s in East Tennessee. Not part of an airshow,
though.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 11th 04, 09:41 PM
Morgans

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

David CL Francis wrote:

During some Farnborough Air Shows in the early 1950s sonic 'booms' were
a regular feature.

I remember hearing them in the '50s in East Tennessee. Not part of an

airshow,
though.

George Patterson

I lived 5 miles from a Guard F-100 base. I thought almost daily booms were
a normal thing, while growing up. I miss them. I wonder how many others
would mind having them come back. It would make a new SST a viable project,
if I'm right.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old March 11th 04, 10:39 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Morgans wrote:

It would make a new SST a viable project, if I'm right.

The only thing that would make an SST a viable project in the U.S. is if Boeing
were to build it. The fact that non-US firms were the only ones building SSTs was
the only thing that got the anti-sonic-boom stuff through Congress in the first
place. That era saw a tremendous amount of protectionist legislation, much of it
in the guise of "safety".