MOGAS availability database

Old April 29th 05, 04:39 AM
Dave Stadt

"Trent Moorehead" wrote in message

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Rich S." wrote in message
[...]
Gas that is not blended for altitude and or season (temperature) can

make
the fan stop turning. In your car, you likely bought gas that was

intended
for use at Lake Tahoe and/or in temps over 100° F.

That's silly. We have driven a Suburban, with its 42 gallon tank, all

over
the US, including Lake Tahoe. We bought the fuel we rode into Tahoe on

at
least 500 miles away, not far above sea level, in the desert. Many

times,
fuel purchased in one locale took us right into a place with completely
different characteristics (altitude, temperature, whatever).

Formulations aside, my big concern with buying mogas from a podunk airport
tank is that the gas could be old and contaminated. This would be due to

the
small number of planes that are actually set up to burn mogas. With 100LL,
you can feel a bit more assured that the fuel has a had a decent

"turnover"
rate and the fuel is fresher and cleaner.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

More engines are mogas capable than those that need 100LL. If 100LL were to
disappear the vast majority of the fleet would get along just fine on mogas.
In fact the majority of the fleet is much better off burning mogas.

Old April 29th 05, 04:41 AM
Jay Honeck

The ONLY time I've EVER had engine trouble has been while operating with
100
LL -- which has far more lead in it than my engine was designed to run
on.

Just how much do you think "too much" is?

80 octane avgas -- which my engine was designed to use -- had roughly 25%
(?) of the lead 100 "low lead" (ha!) has in it today.

Which explains why I have to mercilessly lean my engine when running 100LL
avgas to prevent spark plug fouling.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 29th 05, 04:42 AM
Dave Stadt

"Morgans" wrote in message
news

"Blueskies" wrote

Ok, fuel is 6 lbs/gallon, and the quote says there is 6 lbs of lead in a

gallon...what????

Ahh, grasshopper, read it very carefully, again. There is great truth in
the details, and relationships of the part, and the whole. g
--
Jim (wise teacher) in NC

Extremely poorly worded sentence. It has multiple meanings.

Old April 29th 05, 04:42 AM
Matt Barrow

"Blueskies" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

April 27, 2002

Pelican's Perch #55:
Lead in the Hogwash

When 100/130 was the standard, the mix
limit was four grams of lead per gallon, but in reality the actual

blends
were around 2.7, for the same reasons. (There are about 6.0 pounds, or

about
2,721 grams in a gallon of 100LL, so the lead is less than 0.0735%, by
weight.)"

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182149-1.html

Ok, fuel is 6 lbs/gallon, and the quote says there is 6 lbs of lead in a

gallon...what????

100/130 is four grams of lead per gallon (actually 2.7) and there are 2721
grams in a gallon.

Read it again and this time pause at the "(". :~)

Old April 29th 05, 04:45 AM
Matt Barrow

"Blueskies" wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote in message

news

"Blueskies" wrote

Ok, fuel is 6 lbs/gallon, and the quote says there is 6 lbs of lead in

gallon...what????

Ahh, grasshopper, read it very carefully, again. There is great truth

in
the details, and relationships of the part, and the whole. g
--
Jim (wise teacher) in NC

Ok, I suppose it can be read that way also...

"When 100/130 was the standard, the mix limit was four grams of lead per

gallon, but in reality the actual blends were
around 2.7, for the same reasons. (There are about 6.0 pounds, or about

2,721 grams in a gallon of 100LL, so the lead is
less than 0.0735%, by weight.)"

I don't think I have never heard of weight being 'in' something, a better

read would be something like a gallon weighs 6
lbs, or about 2,721 grams, so...

(Sigh)

Dan (with 185 pounds in him) D.

;-)

Would an English Lit teacher be able to break down the lead content ratios?
:~)

Old April 29th 05, 05:17 AM
Matt Barrow

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

More engines are mogas capable than those that need 100LL. If 100LL were

disappear the vast majority of the fleet would get along just fine on

mogas.
In fact the majority of the fleet is much better off burning mogas.

You probably already know, but that 25% that needs 100LL is the bunch that
flies 75% (or so) of the hours each year.

Old April 29th 05, 05:18 AM
Matt Barrow

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote in message
news

"Blueskies" wrote

Ok, fuel is 6 lbs/gallon, and the quote says there is 6 lbs of lead in

gallon...what????

Ahh, grasshopper, read it very carefully, again. There is great truth

in
the details, and relationships of the part, and the whole. g
--
Jim (wise teacher) in NC

Extremely poorly worded sentence. It has multiple meanings.

Only when taken out of context of the previous sentence

Old April 29th 05, 05:47 AM
Dave Stadt

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

More engines are mogas capable than those that need 100LL. If 100LL

were
disappear the vast majority of the fleet would get along just fine on

mogas.
In fact the majority of the fleet is much better off burning mogas.

You probably already know, but that 25% that needs 100LL is the bunch that
flies 75% (or so) of the hours each year.

I would need to see something to support that. The 100LLers are the high
performance engines which in my experience sit in the hangar. Given, on
those few occasions when they do venture out they burn a lot of gas.

Old April 29th 05, 12:14 PM
Morgans

"Blueskies" wrote

I don't think I have never heard of weight being 'in' something, a better

read would be something like a gallon weighs 6
lbs, or about 2,721 grams, so...

Dan (with 185 pounds in him) D.

;-)

No doubt, it could have been written more clearly.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 29th 05, 01:02 PM
Jay Honeck

I would need to see something to support that. The 100LLers are the high
performance engines which in my experience sit in the hangar.

Agreed -- although offsetting that are the air charters that fly many hours
on end. I believe they are skewing the numbers dramatically.

At my field, private twins and truly high performance birds rarely leave
their hangars. What we see flying all day long, day in and day out, are the
C-150s and Cherokee 140s -- both of which could be (and possibly already
are) running on mogas.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA