$98 per barrel oil

Old November 8th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default $98 per barrel oil

buttman wrote in news:1194502795.130125.172740
@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

On Nov 7, 12:15 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Yeah, but whiney assholes like you stoped that, didncha?

luscky thing Reagan came along to fund Osama, eh?

Bertie

Oh wow a politics thread with Bertie participating, let me in on this!!

Why, couldn't find anyone to fly in front of today?

Bertie
Old November 8th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 7, 6:02 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"www.surf" wind@surf wrote in news:4731e2e0$0$36444
:

To be happy in your country you are friendly invited to check it out
here in Italy...1 liter per 2 euros,

No it isn't. I was there the other day and the most expensive I saw was
about Euro 1.35/litre. Brits seem to have it the worst in Europe, but then
again it gives them somethig to blame their "guv'mint" for so it's
actually keeping them happy in the end.

Bertie

More proces from Europe: Netherlands Euro95 1.52 euro/litre, 100LL
2.22 euro/litre. last week in France 100LL 1.77 euro/litre.

-Kees

Old November 8th 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:
Having aid that, credit where it's due. I didn't hear one single whine
about the Rugby!

I was absolutely flabbergasted I have to tell you.

I think I was the only person in England that *didn't* think it was a try
(and yes, I'm English).

Andy
Old November 8th 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Judah wrote:

The price of oil right now is driven totally by near-monopolistic supply
and demand curves. They raise the prices during holidays and higher usage
periods (like the first cold week of winter) to reap the most significant
profits, and then back off just enough so that no one is really inspired to
really convert everything to used wok oil.

If Saddam were still in power in Iraq, he would be getting Halliburton's
cut of the action. That's about the only difference I see.

If anything, the war in Iraq was one of the catalysts for the oil companies
to start this cycle... Between vengefulness, and a real (although probably
artificially inflated) shortage caused by all of the oil fires, OPEC raised
the price. The reaction they saw was a big profit increase, and a small
grumbling, but no other significant consequences.

I wish I could do the same with my products...

Oil companies profit margins are about average compared with other
industries. As far as the price of oil... its not controlled by the
oil companies, it is set by the world-wide marketplace. The US could
be a bigger producer of oil but it chooses not to (for a number of
reasons) therefore it is much more at the mercy of Opec and the
geopolitical forces throughout the world.

If the US actually had a *real* energy policy to _include_ more
production, nuclear and alternatives then there would be immediate
downward pressure on worlwide prices. But we don't (that requires
actual intelligent leadership and the US has none) so we are in
the situation of paying out the nose with dollars that are worth less.
Old November 8th 07, 11:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

kontiki wrote in
:

Oil companies profit margins are about average compared with other
industries. As far as the price of oil... its not controlled by the
oil companies, it is set by the world-wide marketplace. The US could
be a bigger producer of oil but it chooses not to (for a number of
reasons) therefore it is much more at the mercy of Opec and the
geopolitical forces throughout the world.

If the US actually had a *real* energy policy to _include_ more
production, nuclear and alternatives then there would be immediate
downward pressure on worlwide prices. But we don't (that requires
actual intelligent leadership and the US has none) so we are in
the situation of paying out the nose with dollars that are worth less.

An increase of production of alternatives would only stand to drive the price
of oil even further up, based on the law of supply and demand...

Furthermore, it has been documented that oil companies and oil refineries
were absorbing some of the increased costs of oil when all of this started in
04 and 05... However, it has also been documented that oil companies have
increased their profit margins substantially since that time. San Francisco
Chronicle, for example, reported in March that oil refineries had DOUBLED
their profit margins...
Old November 8th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Judah wrote:

Furthermore, it has been documented that oil companies and oil refineries
were absorbing some of the increased costs of oil when all of this started in
04 and 05... However, it has also been documented that oil companies have
increased their profit margins substantially since that time. San Francisco
Chronicle, for example, reported in March that oil refineries had DOUBLED
their profit margins...

Obsessing with profit margins of various companies doesn't solve
any problems. That seems to be the only problem that anyone really
worries about theses days though. Pretty sad.
Old November 8th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

An increase of production of alternatives would only stand to drive the price
of oil even further up, based on the law of supply and demand...

This sounds backwards. Explain, please.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 8th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

A paraphrase, Can't remember if it's Huxley, Orwell or Wells, but if
serious history ceases to be taught and the pursuit of the trivial by an
otherwise sophisticated society is central to a society, then they are
truly lost.

This being usenent, I'm sure someone will correct me, but it won't be you,
methinks.

Your rapier wit cuts me to the quick, sir.

And your qualifications to make this statement are....?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 8th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Jay,
you belong on grumpyoldwhiteguys.com
KFBaum

Egad. I'm afraid I do!

Somehow I've crossed over to "the world is going to Hell in a hand-
basket" side of the aisle. When did *that* happen??

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 8th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I think so. I don't drink crap.

Green chartreuse is made by Benedictine Monks in France. My dad
brought it back with him after WWII, and introduced me to it when I
came of age. It's 110 proof, served straight up, and tastes a bit
like a cross between Nyquil and Jet-A.

It's almost unattainable around here now, but it's worth it if you can
get it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA