Adding IFR Plane Certification To Planes Without It

Old November 25th 04, 09:29 PM
Blanche Cohen

Default Adding IFR Plane Certification To Planes Without It

Michael Adams wrote:
What does the FAA say about adding IFR certification to planes which do not
have it? Can IFR be added to any plane, or does it have to have some sort
of "pre-cerfication" by the manufacturer for make and model? This question
came up, because I have seen IFR added to a few aerobatic models, presumably
for "emergency IFR". I know for helicopters, you can't add IFR unless it
meets certain stability requirements. I wasn't sure about planes.

"adding IFR certification"? please explain...

rats...my copy of the FAR is at the hangar. but if I remember correctly,
the requirements include

static/pitot check every 24 months
mode c transponder
communication equipment adequate to talk with ATC (radio that has .x25)
navigation equipment as appropriate (can't remember the exact minimum but
I think it's 1 VOR receiver and indicator...is ILS required? Possibly
an ADF/DME in addition...)

Old November 25th 04, 11:21 PM
Mike Adams

(Blanche Cohen) wrote:

Michael Adams wrote:
[...]

Here's what FAR 91.205(d) says:
(d) Instrument flight rules. For IFR flight, the following
instruments and equipment are required:
(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this
section, and, for night flight, instruments and equipment specified in
paragraph (c) of this section.
(2) Two-way radio communications system and navigational equipment
appropriate to the ground facilities to be used.
(3) Gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator, except on the following
aircraft:
(i) Airplanes with a third attitude instrument system usable through
flight attitudes of 360 degrees of pitch and roll and installed in
accordance with the instrument requirements prescribed in
Sec. 121.305(j) of this chapter; and
(ii) Rotorcraft with a third attitude instrument system usable
through flight attitudes of 80 degrees of pitch and
120 degrees of roll and installed in accordance with
Sec. 29.1303(g) of this chapter.
(4) Slip-skid indicator.
(5) Sensitive altimeter adjustable for barometric pressure.
(6) A clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-
second pointer or digital presentation.
(7) Generator or alternator of adequate capacity.
(8) Gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator (artificial horizon).
(9) Gyroscopic direction indicator (directional gyro or equivalent).

Hope this helps,
Mike (the other one)
Old November 26th 04, 02:48 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Michael Adams wrote:
: What does the FAA say about adding IFR certification to planes which do not
: have it? Can IFR be added to any plane, or does it have to have some sort
: of "pre-cerfication" by the manufacturer for make and model? This question
: came up, because I have seen IFR added to a few aerobatic models, presumably
: for "emergency IFR". I know for helicopters, you can't add IFR unless it
: meets certain stability requirements. I wasn't sure about planes.

For certified aircraft it's probably in the TCDS. All that I have seen
specify a placard in the airplane that says something like "This Aircraft Is
Certified for the following conditions: Day - Night - VFR - IFR: If properly
equipped". (That was the placard language from a C-152, anyway.)

For homebuilts, well, the way it was explained to me by the friendly Van's
people is that the builder cerifies everything about the aircraft,
so they can specify anything they want, assuming proper equipment as you
noted in the reply below.
--
Aaron Coolidge

Old November 26th 04, 06:37 AM

On 25-Nov-2004, "Michael Adams" wrote:

What does the FAA say about adding IFR certification to planes which do
not have it? Can IFR be added to any plane, or does it have to have some
sort
of "pre-cerfication" by the manufacturer for make and model? This
question came up, because I have seen IFR added to a few aerobatic models,
presumably for "emergency IFR".

As I understand it, the type certificate for a given model indicates
approval for flight in IFR conditions. The vast majority of certificated GA
aircraft are so approved. Some specialty aircraft, like purely aerobatic
models, might not be certified for IFR -- I really don't know. In any case,
I suspect that adding IFR approval to an aircraft whose type certificate
lacks it would probably require at least an STC.

Now, beyond type certificate approval, Part 91 IFR operation in an airplane
carries certain minimum equipment requirements AND a static system/altimeter
check within the preceding 24 months. Sometimes that static
system/altimeter test is (erroneously) referred to as "IFR certification".

As I said, most GA airplanes are approved for IFR operations, and most
manufactured within the past 40 years or so are equipped with basic IFR
instruments (sensitive altimeter, gyro compass, AI, and rate of turn
indicator). So, what generally is required to make a previously VFR-only
airplane legal for IFR is, in most cases, addition of required avionics if
not already installed and successfully passing a static system/altimeter
test. Minimum avionics requirements are 2-way VHF com and nav gear suitable
for facilities that will be used.

Does this answer your questions?
--
-Elliott Drucker
Old November 26th 04, 02:44 PM
Thomas Borchert

Michael,

one example for a non-IFR-certified aircraft would be the Diamond DA-20
Katana. It lacks the lightning protection needed for IFR certification.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 26th 04, 07:59 PM
Brad Zeigler

"M" wrote in message
om...
That VOR needs a VOR check in the past 60 day with a log entry in the
aircraft.

You mean 30 days, right?

Old November 29th 04, 07:06 PM
Jesse Wright

With regard to Day/Night IFR/VFR required placarding, what steps do
you need to take to have the placard installed on an airplane that
does not already have the placard (A&I signoff??)? This has come up
at checkride time with another airplane on the ramp, but I don't know
what the resolution was.

Jesse
N4372X