Join in the circuit or not????

Old June 16th 04, 01:54 PM
Herbie

Default Join in the circuit or not????

As a newly qualified ppl(h) UK based I am now starting to visit new
airfields for the first time.

Often I could easily land without going anywhere near the circuit.
This can sometimes benefit other traffic but what do experienced
pilots do?

Do you always join in the circuit?
When would it be better to stay out of the circuit?
How do you decide?

I know that air traffic (r/t) or lack of will sometimes determine the
outcome but I would welcome the view of an experienced Fling Wing
pilot.

Thanks

Old July 11th 04, 05:56 PM
Jim Carriere

David ltz wrote:
[...]

In general, helicopters in the US use a 500' AGL pattern, but there
are always exceptions to that.

How do you decide what to do? Here is a good personal rule- if
you're not comfortable accepting something unusual, ask for something
else or simply depart the pattern. Courtesy to others is always
important, but your own safety is most important of all. If you are
confused or overtasked while flying, or forced to operate your
helicopter in an unsafe flight regime (ie, avoid part of H-V
diagram), then that is not safe.

Joining the normal pattern, if you have the speed to not inhibit the
others, is always desireable. If a faster aircraft is gradually
gaining on you each pass, he may S-turn for spacing or even turn
crosswind behind you. This is a safe way to overtake you. I have
only seen this maneuver when authorized by a control tower.
Personally, the thought of doing this at an uncontrolled field does
not bother me. On the other hand, you can easily sidestep to a
taxiway after landing, then rejoin the pattern after he has gone past
on the runway.

Remember, pilots of faster aircraft will mostly act professionally
and with consideration towards slower aircraft. Hopefully this
includes extending their upwind legs before turning crosswind, in
order to account for the greater speed from downwind to final.

Also remember, a lot of fixed wing pilots and controllers do not
understand helicopter aerodynamics- most of them have no idea that we
too experience ground effect, or that hovering actually requires
more power, and autorotation is a complete mystery to a lot of those
guys!

Here are some other options, depending if you are practicing
touch-and-goes, if there are other, much faster aircraft also
working, if there is more than one runway, noise concerns,
turbulence, etc:

Work the opposite pattern/circuit to the same runway, ie, you work
left hand while the others work right hand. Control towers sometimes
assign this.

Work a different runway, but turn early so you do not overfly
intersections, and also stay clear of the pattern on the other
runway(s). I've done this at controlled and uncontrolled fields.
Communicating with other aircraft is key. I've sat one deck for an
extra minute or so before, partly out of courtesy but also for the
entertainment of watching another aircraft land (hey... I love
airplanes). Similarly, others may yield to you because a helicopter
is a novelty to them. Sometimes we even wave to each other

Departures can be fun. Being cleared to "takeoff from present
position" on a departure heading is not uncommon. Use common sense
for wind effects, overflying parked aircraft and buildings. Here is
an example of what not to do- we accepted this once with a 5 knot
tailwind on a hot day, full fuel tank... About two seconds into
forward flight, we flew over a ditch- suddenly no more ground effect,
and at the same time the airspeed dropped to zero (think... 5 knot
tailwind, plus approx 5 knot groundspeed). What do you think those
few seconds felt like for a couple of flight students borrowing the
taxpayers' helicopter for an easy cross country flight?

Last, let me restate the "personal comfort" and safety rule- go back
to my paragraph "How do you decide what to do?"