Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14?

Old February 27th 04, 04:47 AM

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
news:j1f%b.60182$4o.83386@attbi_s52...
"Tarver Engineering" wrote...

According to the ASN Accident Description, "Go-around power was added

at
14.45:35"

The pilot was past the end of the runway by then and into an unmapped

part
of the A-320's flight control system.

What is "an unmapped part of the A-320's flight control system" supposed

mean?!?

Airbus hadn't programmed their A-320 to do what the operator commanded.

Just prior to the pilot adding go-around power, the airplane was in an
aerodynamic regime that had been encountered many times previously --

airspeed
between stall and Vref, with a slight rate of descent (approx 375 fpm,

from last
datapoint), engines at idle. How could it be that the flight control

system was
"unmapped" in that aerodynamic regime?!?

That is a good question.

I am quite certain that the A-320's certification included slow flight and
approaches to stalls, and that its flight control system is well able to

handle
them.

Then you have departed from reality.

Jesus Christ John, this is ridiculous...I've read a lot about
this accident and agree with the consensus that the a/c did all
any a/c could have done given the parameters this not too bright
bulb asked it to do.

How in hell could the system have done more than, as JW
explained, hold the AoA at the max lift point just short of stall
while the autothrottle system applied max power and everyone was
waiting with bated breath for the engines to spool up. Would you
have preferred that the pilot have been able to manhandle the AoA
higher almost certainly stalling the wings?.

Maybe if you were a magician like Marron you could have changed
the Angle of Incidence therefore giving the wings 'more lift'?...
snort
--

-Gord.
Old February 27th 04, 05:16 AM
Kevin Brooks

"puttster" wrote in message
om...
"John Keeney" wrote in message

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
John Keeney wrote:

"puttster" wrote in message
om...
"John Carrier" wrote in message

Now if you want to argue that the F-35B is an aircraft

designed as
Carrier
Aircraft, I know some Marines that would like to chat with

you.
The B
will
be replacing AV-8B's and land based F-18's. Sure, it can land

on
carrier
but it is not being built to trap aboard CV/N's using

arresting
gear
or
Cat
launches.

True in a sense, but as a VSTOL and STOVL design, it's fully

carrier
suitable w/o the need for catapult gear (I suspect it does have

tailhook).
I'd also be much surprised if its CNI suite didn't include ACLS

and
SPN-41
in their latest incarnations.

R / John

With an excellent V/STOL capability in the F-35B, why does the

Navy
still demand those giant carriers? Seems like something can be

done
there to make the whole system more efficient. Why design a plane
(the F-35C) to fit their ships?

Because the F-35C flies farther with a bigger load than the F-35B.

As always, the question is how much do you need that extra range, and

should the
navy a/c do that mission when it is needed? Kind of depends how you

define the

I want to see the carriers able to hit Afganistan from the Indian Ocean
and a few other places that might be a tad less accessible. Call it the
"anywhere in the second country in from the beach" rule.

Here is the math fails. If the Marine F-35B's have a range of 450
miles and the Navy's F-35C's have a range of 700 miles, how are the
marines going to set up at points inaccessible by the Navy? Besides,
how will they get resupplied?

By air, like they did in Afghanistan, *before* major airfields were
available for use IIRC. Unless Afghanistan has been moved to where it *is*
accessable by the Navy?

Brooks

Brooks

Old February 27th 04, 05:17 AM
puttster

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"puttster" wrote in message
om...
Chad Irby wrote in message

. com...
In article ,
(puttster) wrote:

Then let me ask why the Marines need the V/Stol capability. I cannot
get a good picture of a mission where the marines would need 400+ of
them with all the support for them but still not have a decent runway!

Why are you limiting the situation to needing 400+ at once?

The situation is more like "we need a dozen for this small brushfire war
in a place where there are no good airstrips," or we need to put a small
landing force in at this area, and the bad guys have a few planes, so we
need a little fighter cover from the LHDs."

If there are no good airstrips how would the marines get their gas,
bombs, food, and all the other support?

By ship , C-130 or other battlefield airlift asset.

Keith

I might could buy resupply with C-130's . They are STOL themselves,
landing fully loaded in under 500 ft. We would need a lot of them
though, to set up a deep mission. Maybe a situation like OIF where
Turkey would not let the Army come in from the north. With enough
C-130's maybe you could quickly set up a wing of F-35B's up in
Kurdistan, with a regiment of Marines to support them.

The thing is though there were usable airstrips there already. Even
if there weren't any, the first C-130's should be bringing in the
runway, then you could bring in C-5's for supply and you could build
twice the force in the same amount of time. Any your fighters could
have normal range and loads.

f-35B's seem like an Idea without a mission to me. Well, maybe some
isolated rescue stuff, but what do the marines need 400 of them for?
I could see two dozen maybe, to go along with their Ospreys. That
should be it.
Old February 27th 04, 07:54 AM
Keith Willshaw

"puttster" wrote in message
om...
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

By ship , C-130 or other battlefield airlift asset.

Keith

I might could buy resupply with C-130's . They are STOL themselves,
landing fully loaded in under 500 ft. We would need a lot of them
though, to set up a deep mission.

Which is why we have em

Maybe a situation like OIF where
Turkey would not let the Army come in from the north. With enough
C-130's maybe you could quickly set up a wing of F-35B's up in
Kurdistan, with a regiment of Marines to support them.

The thing is though there were usable airstrips there already.

Not many in point of fact and that isnt always the case.

Even
if there weren't any, the first C-130's should be bringing in the
runway, then you could bring in C-5's for supply and you could build
twice the force in the same amount of time. Any your fighters could
have normal range and loads.

And what pray tell is protecting the C-5's and C-130's in the
meantime ?

f-35B's seem like an Idea without a mission to me.

The RAF , RN and USMC disagree

Well, maybe some
isolated rescue stuff, but what do the marines need 400 of them for?
I could see two dozen maybe, to go along with their Ospreys. That
should be it.

Lacking either a crystal ball for perfect prediction or the ability to
limit the forces an enemy can bring to bear I disagree

There are a lot of even 3rd world airforces that can bring more than
a dozen modern fighters to a hot spot.

Keith

Old February 27th 04, 02:31 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"puttster" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Plus it never ceases to amaze me the number of folks who think that (a)
bringing in enough aluminum matting (and we don't use PSP anymore) to build
a fighter strip is a piece of cake (and trying to support a C-5 on one is a
mean proposition), (b) installing the matting is all there is to it (no
cut/fill, drainage work, or subbabse and base course prep required),
getting the requisite engineer equipment and units into the site is an easy
matter, and (d) this will all happen over a matter of a day or two. Laying
in a fighter-length strip from scaratch is a *major* engineer operation, and
quite different from that required to construct a minimum length rough field
C-130 strip.

f-35B's seem like an Idea without a mission to me.

The RAF , RN and USMC disagree

Add the USAF to that equation--they just officially announced that they are
interested in revamping their programmed buy to include some B models as
well.

Brooks

Old February 27th 04, 05:51 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Kevin Brooks
writes
Plus it never ceases to amaze me the number of folks who think that (a)
bringing in enough aluminum matting (and we don't use PSP anymore) to build
a fighter strip is a piece of cake (and trying to support a C-5 on one is a
mean proposition), (b) installing the matting is all there is to it (no
cut/fill, drainage work, or subbabse and base course prep required),
getting the requisite engineer equipment and units into the site is an easy
matter, and (d) this will all happen over a matter of a day or two. Laying
in a fighter-length strip from scaratch is a *major* engineer operation, and
quite different from that required to construct a minimum length rough field
C-130 strip.

Compare this with the effort needed to create HMS Sheathbill in the
Falklands (which was a basic "land, refuel, leave or GLI" strip). It's
*much* easier to pick a stretch of highway, fly in fuel bladders and
maybe ordnance & first-line servicing - than to build a fixed-wing CTOL
strip from scratch (lots of supplies and equipment needed just to build
the runway before anything else arrives) The USMC's AV-8Bs did this to
very good effect in 1991, for instance.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Old February 27th 04, 06:38 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
news
Then you have departed from reality.

Jesus Christ John, this is ridiculous...I've read a lot about
this accident and agree with the consensus that the a/c did all
any a/c could have done given the parameters this not too bright
bulb asked it to do.

You mean the pilot stalled the wing?

Then you are well advanced from Weiss' understanding.

How in hell could the system have done more than, as JW
explained, hold the AoA at the max lift point just short of stall
while the autothrottle system applied max power

The autothrottle only knows land and go around in the situation we are
discussing and the pilot was beyond the point of either flight mode. The
operator has to follow the POH, as it is part of the type Certificate.

"C-175 SoCal Beware" Original Poster Replies Bill Berle Aviation Marketplace 8 July 8th 04 07:01 AM
More LED's Veeduber Home Built 19 June 9th 04 10:07 PM
Replace fabric with glass Ernest Christley Home Built 38 April 17th 04 11:37 AM
RAN to get new LSD class vessel to replace 5 logistic vessels ... Aerophotos Military Aviation 10 November 3rd 03 11:49 PM
Air Force to replace enlisted historians with civilians Otis Willie Military Aviation 1 October 22nd 03 09:41 AM