Do you flight plan?

Old December 8th 03, 03:18 AM
Jay Honeck

Having received my PPL recently and been on several cross countries, I was
wondering how extensive of a flight plan do people prepare before the

trip?

Last spring we flew from Iowa to Florida, with a stop in Alabama, with less
formal flight planning then when I prepared for my first few 50-mile student
cross country flights.

We subscribe to Aeroplanner, an on-line flight planning service, and create
Sectional Chart "Trip Tiks" in .pdf format upon request, printing them on my
color laser printer at work. This pretty much wraps up our "flight
planning" in the traditional sense, except for programming everything into
our AvMap GPS. Aeroplanner literally does everything for you, including
drawing the line on the charts, right down to the 10 nm "ticks"... (It also
creates sectionals on 8.5 x 11 inch sheets, in flip-chart form, so you don't
have the "octopus arms" of charts in the cockpit.)

That said, it's the weather prep that really matters on a long cross country
flight -- and, if anything, this has gotten MORE extensive over the years.
For several days before a flight, we'll study the weather patterns on The
Weather Channel. I'll get a really thorough outlook briefing the night
before a flight, and then a standard weather briefing the morning of the
flight.

I'll virtually live on ADDS and a host of other weather websites, tracking
the METARS and TAFS along our route of flight. I'll try to be aware of
trends and anomalies in the weather pattern. If they're predicting crap
weather the day before a flight, and it's sunny, I'll be very aware that the
NWS has no clue what's happening.

Finally, for vacations we always plan at least three flights. If the
weather is socked in to the North, we'll choose our "Southern Option". If
it looks bad that way, too, we'll choose our Western Option. We always
leave our options open, and we always leave at least one "contingency day"
in our flight plans.

This procedure has worked well for almost ten years, and almost 900 hours.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Nasir" wrote in message
news

Do you guys do all the checkpoints on a map, calculate time/distance/fuel

each leg? Do you just draw the line on the map and mark checkpoints that

you
expect to see but not calculate other things? Do you always calculate

winds
aloft and fly the appropriate heading?

I have found myself getting lazy and I dont do all that I did when

planning
x-countries when I was training. I tend to draw my line and mark
checkpoints, make sure I have plenty of fuel to get to my destination

(plus
an hour more) based on 6gal/hr average. But I dont calculate
time/distance/fuel to each leg. I also have a GPS so that makes getting

lazy
easier!

How much do you all plan before each x-country? Am I the only slacker?

Nasir

Old December 8th 03, 03:38 AM
tony roberts

Having received my PPL recently and been on several cross countries, I was
wondering how extensive of a flight plan do people prepare before the trip?

Do you guys do all the checkpoints on a map, calculate time/distance/fuel to
each leg? . . . .

As a student I spent more time flight planning than making the actual
flight. I had extra ground school to find out what I was doing wrong
but I never did get a flight that was faster than the flight plan.
If I had been unable to escape that ridiculous situation I would
probably have quit flying.

Here is what I do now - I am not suggesting that other people do it -
and I am specifically recommending that students don't do this - do what
you are taught by your CFI.

I burn 6 - 6.5 gallons per hour so I estimate 8. Full fuel (which I
ALWAYS fly on trips) gives me three hours flight time with a 90 minute
reserve plus the extra time that I have in reserve by using 8 gall per
hour for my calculations. That is all that I want to know about fuel.

I plot a course on my chart, determine minimum altitude, mark the course
off into 10 nm sections and highlight all checkpoints and airports en
route - I'm lucky that in the area that I fly in I am always within 30 -
45 minutes of an airport.
I check winds and estimate a speed which gives me a time en route.

I carry 2 GPS units with lots of spare batteries, and I have VOR, ADF
and DME.
I use all of them. My flight plan data is on permanent file with my FSS,
so I don't need to go over speed, colour of aircraft, survival gear etc.
etc. I just say this is me and I'm going here - direct (or I file Victor
Airways - they are so easy) - and I'll take 2 hours, and I have 2 pax &
4 hours fuel. Finished!
I fly using all of my navigation aids and as I have memorized the
landmarks I don't follow my route on the chart minute by minute - I have
it on the seat next to me and each time that I pass a landmark I mark
it off and look how long to the next one. So if I'm expecting the arrow
lakes in 15 minutes and they don't appear I start investigating - but
with all of the nav gear that I use that isn't usually an issue - it's
just some extra insurance.

Also of course, don't undervalue flight following as a regular tool, and
DF Steer if you do get lost. Far better to say I'm lost than to fly
around in circles. If you do get lost, and assuming that the cloud
ceiling allows it - climb. Your radios and VOR/ADF will have a longer
range, and of course you will have a longer glide range, and landmarks
that you couldn't see suddenly become visible when you climb.

HTH

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old December 8th 03, 03:44 AM
tony roberts

All of that, of course, is after having checked that the weather is
suitable for the flight!

Old December 8th 03, 04:00 AM
tony roberts

In article vQRAb.459661$Tr4.1277818@attbi_s03,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

For most VFR flights of significant length I plan carefully, especially

since I
like to fly very low.

This is an interesting statement that begs for an explanation. Why do you
like to fly "very low"?

I was about to ask the same question.
Scared of heights?
A burning desire to knock those branches out of the landing gear?

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old December 8th 03, 05:16 AM
Teacherjh

Why do you like to fly "very low"?

It's pretty.

Jose

Old December 8th 03, 05:20 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Nasir" wrote:

[...]

After 44 years of VFR flying, I DO flight plan -- sometimes. I usually
try to set down for fuel about every 2-1/2 hours (my wife gets a bladder
overpressure warning light). I flight plan for 145 Kt (conservative) and
consult my planning chart and the appropriate WAC charts.

One item I haven't seen posted is the use of Airnav.com for fuel prices.
I have seen prices for 100LL from $2.00/gal to $3.50/gal within a 50
NM radius of proposed fuel stops. This is an important tool for flight
planning. Last summer, on our trip to Oshkosh, we encountered one closed
airport (runway sweepers) and quickly found a suitable alternate with
good fuel prices.

I download the information on intended fuel stops (and the area fuel
prices and put them into a 3-ring binder, along with any TFR info and
DUATS info, so I ahve an organized reference handy and do not have to
shuffle through a bunch of papers.

I also check the Weather Channel for trends and conditions.

I draw the lines on my charts with highlighters and an ready to go.
Old December 8th 03, 05:58 AM
Jeff

I dont flight plan using way points, checkpoints or anything else.
I have a IFR certified GPS and I have a shaden fuel flow monitor in my plane. I
know I can carry enough fuel for 6 hours, I like at least a 90 minute reserve,
so I Like to plan a stop about every 600-650 miles on long X-C's. I try to never
go over 700 miles without stopping. So what I do is depending on the distance,
if I need to stop for fuel, I just plot out about 600-650 miles, see what
airport is there, then add or take away distance depending on my options. I like
airports that are towered and have cross runways for long X-C's. for short XC's
like 200-300 miles, I just fly straight there, but weahter is something I always
check starting a week out if its a planned flight.

Jeff

Old December 8th 03, 06:13 AM
Jeff

fuel prices is something I dont check. I plan my stops based on the size of the
airport and what is available there. I like towered airports, ones with
restaurants, and if staying, they have to have rental cars on the field. I wont
use an airport that wont have my car waiting on me when I get there. I go through
the FBO's for my car but make hotel reservations myself.
Flew into carlsbad, ca. the other day, their gas was 3.60 a gallon...expensive,
but they had good service, western flight was the place. had my rental car parked
behind my plane before I had the engine shut off. I would use them anytime I go
to that airport.

Old December 8th 03, 06:19 AM
Teacherjh

One item I haven't seen posted is the use of Airnav.com for fuel prices.

I do it all the time. It's the best!

Renter pilots probably have much less incentive.

Jose

Old December 8th 03, 10:32 AM
Cub Driver

I don't go awfully far from home, but the countryside can be fairly
daunting in northern New England (no fields to land in!). So unless
I'm running up to Lake Winnipesaukee and back, I'll generally draw a
pencil line on the chart (usually not the current one). I have GPS
coordinates for most of my turning points. I'll paste them into DUATS
and get one of their useless printouts of the route. That gives me the
distances, from which I have a pretty good idea of the time from point
to point, and also the fuel consumption. (I can fly for two hours. I
figure 4 gallons an hour, plus half a gallon for each takeoff. This I
have found far more reliable than computer work or DUATS
calculations.)

I call Flight Service before taking off, to check on TFRs and military
activity (I often fly through Yankee One and Yankee Two MOAs). I
rarely file a flight plan.

I have the folded chart on a kneeboard (thighboard?). I follow my
progress with my thumb while eyeballing the countryside. But what I am
really doing is tracking the GPS, which has the waypoints plugged into
it. I have flown all possible routes in say a 200-degree arc (the
other 160 degrees being the Gulf of Maine) so I am familiar with the
landmarks and can easily find my way home if the chart blows away and
the GPS loses its signal. I fly at 2900 feet so an undercast is almost
never a problem; the one time it happened, I did a 180 and flew back
to the coast.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at