Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

Old July 8th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

Default Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:17:51 -0700, Peter Duniho wrote:

If the data is backed up, and there is 100% no chance of taking the drive to
a recovery service, then there's no harm in messing around with utility
software. And there's a remote chance it might help. But otherwise, the
best course of action is to leave the drive powered down.

and what should the OP do with the powered down harddrive? He can't lose a
thing - no matter if his data is backed up or not. Just try to recover your
data on the first attempt.

#m
--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
Old July 8th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 13:39:57 +0200, Thomas Borchert wrote:

Larry,

Are you referring to the fact that French pilots tend to announce
position reports at uncontrolled fields in their native tongue?

That's done in every country I know of, including the US. I was
referring to the fact that even controllers often speak only very
marginal English, and that Air France pilots will talk in French even
at CDG.

.... and French is an ICAO language, IIRC.

I've been to some smaller airports in the US and there has been almost some
form of local 'slang' and wording, mostly on visual references not
mentioned on any chart and mostly only known to locals.

one example for CHD (Chandler, AZ):
Tower: "next report Hamilton High (school)"
I had to ask a local to show me on a map where I can find this highschool.

#m
Old July 8th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Morgans wrote:
"Montblack" wrote in message
("Emily" wrote)
Larry Dighera wrote:
[Paraphrasing] ...blah, blah, blah.
I think I like you.

If Larry writes back:

"Right. The truly superior don't need to act superior; their superiority
is tacitly apparent. It is those who feel inferior who need to constantly
assert their pseudo superiority."

You know, I resisted the urge to respond with, "Stick around a while.
There's still time to change your mind."

LOL! I've been lurking and sometimes posting for well over five years.
I'm sure he ended up kill filed at some point (ok, so a lot of people
had), but a recent computer crashed wiped all that out. g
Old July 8th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Martin Hotze wrote:

one example for CHD (Chandler, AZ):
Tower: "next report Hamilton High (school)"
I had to ask a local to show me on a map where I can find this highschool.

A simple "unfamilar" would have stopped that (or at least should have).

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 8th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 10:56:42 -0400, Bob Noel wrote:

one example for CHD (Chandler, AZ):
Tower: "next report Hamilton High (school)"
I had to ask a local to show me on a map where I can find this highschool.

A simple "unfamilar" would have stopped that (or at least should have).

sure it would have .. but I wanted to point out that mostly there are
references to/for locals only. Standard would be (IMHO) to refer to the
published references.

#m
Old July 8th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:44:44 +0200, Martin Hotze
wrote in
::

Tower: "next report Hamilton High (school)"
I had to ask a local to show me on a map where I can find this highschool.

I would think the aerial view of a high school would be distinctive
enough to be recognized by most folks; just look for the oval track in
the grass surrounded by classrooms. Other uncharted visual reference
points might be more difficult to identify.
Old July 8th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

Larry,

Are you referring to the fact that French pilots tend to announce
position reports at uncontrolled fields in their native tongue?

That's done in every country I know of, including the US. I was
referring to the fact that even controllers often speak only very
marginal English, and that Air France pilots will talk in French even
at CDG.

"The Little French Girl" flew from Ohio to Montreal a year or so ago.
The locals were talking to the tower in the local French dialect. She, a
native French speaker, could not understand them.
Old July 8th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 02:53:41 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote in ::

Yep, that's what happens in the liberal nanny-state. Nothing is
anyone's fault and we must all be taken care of by the government.

First, I wouldn't characterize Bush as a liberal.

Me neither. Did you have a point here?

Second, the notion of 'taking care of the unwashed masses' has its
origins in organized religion, hence my earlier statement concerning
the undue political influence of the religious-right in US policy
decisions. One can easily see evidence of the magnitude of the power
religion asserts over its adherents in Islamic suicide bombers who
willingly give their lives for their irrational beliefs.

Yes, taking care of those who could not take care of themselves. That
doesn't cover much of our current social programs. Millionaires still
get SS and medicare.

Because of (what I believe is a genetically based personality
attribute or instinct,) religiosity, that shamans are able to exploit
in controlling the opinions and beliefs of their flocks of followers,
the religious-right are able to muster and deliver cadres of voters
who vote the slate. Because religion is well organized, the magnitude
of its results are significantly more influential among politicos than
those unorganized voters who think for themselves and vote
accordingly. The church is able to deliver votes, and actively
exploits that power politically (when it's not sexually molesting the
children of its faithful).

The church has historically always sought to assert control over its
followers by telling them what to believe, whether its rational or
not. Religion's commendable role in civilizing the masses is
overshadowed by its demand for obedience and belief in irrational
dogma.

The news and entertainment media also play a role in shaping public
beliefs. In their unending search for audience share, screenwriters
and journalists must provide content that is shocking, so that it will
get the publics' attention. Unfortunately, the only remaining source
of shocking material dwells ever deeper in the depths of those
subjects that have traditionally been taboo: sex, violence,
corruption, ... and this is what we are continually fed by the media.
Unfortunately, the well of shocking subjects has been almost exhausted
over the decades, so that now the really hardcore taboos are being
presented to the public in the name of entertainment and news, and the
public is thus being continually ever more desensitized to their truly
vile nature.

This clueless drivel doesn't warrant a response.

Matt
Old July 8th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:44:44 +0200, Martin Hotze
wrote in
::

Tower: "next report Hamilton High (school)"
I had to ask a local to show me on a map where I can find this highschool.

I would think the aerial view of a high school would be distinctive
enough to be recognized by most folks; just look for the oval track in
the grass surrounded by classrooms. Other uncharted visual reference
points might be more difficult to identify.

Austrian schools do not have football fields with running tracks around
them. One has to be familiar with what one is looking at to recognize it.
Old July 8th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:18:58 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote:

Tower: "next report Hamilton High (school)"
I had to ask a local to show me on a map where I can find this highschool.

I would think the aerial view of a high school would be distinctive
enough to be recognized by most folks; just look for the oval track in
the grass surrounded by classrooms. Other uncharted visual reference
points might be more difficult to identify.

you might notice that aviation is international and that therefore - for
obvious reasons - there might be a small percentage (*doh*) of people in
this world who have never seen a highschool from outside, from inside or
from above and have no idea that a oval track is a _sure_ (!) sign of a
highschool. And how are classfrooms identified from above? And how will I
find out that I found out the _correct_ highschool (if I would have been
able to identify the construction as a high school)?

#m