Anyone take an ICOM on a commercial flight?

Old February 1st 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

Default Anyone take an ICOM on a commercial flight?

On Jan 31, 10:41*am, John wrote:

Really? *What airline does this nowadays? *I remember American and
United used to back in the 80's and I loved to follow along in an
atlas with high airways over printed on the maps (hey, it beat what
was showing for a movie 99.4% of the time). *But it seems to me
everyone stopped doing that in the late 80's and early 90's.

I guess I will stand corrected on this one. I ride in the back all the
time but I never pay attention to whats on the radio (Or the silly
inflight movies). The last time I did run through the channels was on
a 767-400 and it was there. I also noticed it on a 767-300 ER a few
years back, but that was into FRA . Could be different for
International ?
Old February 1st 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Matt Whiting wrote:

It doesn't say you have to ask permission. If the captain comes and
tells you to turn it off, then you turn it off. It doesn't say you have
to go ask for permission.

121.306 (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person
may
operate,nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the
operation of, any portable electronic device on any U.S. registered civil
aircraft operating under this part.

(b)5 says :

Any other portable electronic device that the part 119
certificate holder has determined will not cause interference with the
navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be
used.

That would seem to rule out the notion that you can operate any device you
want until you're told to turn it off.

John Galban====N4BQ (PA28-280)

Old February 3rd 08, 07:57 PM
JOM JOM is offline
Junior Member

Location: Montana

A part 121 or 135 air carrier can make a non-revenue flight under part 91. Example: a maintenance flight, moving unscheduled aircraft from one location to another, or return from a trip with no cargo or passengers, etc.

.... Commercial airline operations with passengers onboard are part 121 not
91. You want 121.306:
[/i][/color]

Then why does 91.21c have this line in it? "In the case of an aircraft
operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an
operating certificate,..."[/quote]
Old February 4th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kobra

Anyone take an ICOM on a commercial flight.

I did this once. I also brought some earbuds to see if I could follow our
flight's clearences and handoffs.

It was fun, but I noticed that I had difficulty right from the start because
at large airports there are several tower frequencies depending on the
runways in use. I struggled to find the right frequencies and lost it
shortly after the handoff from Tower to Departure. I couldn't figure out
why.

About a minute later I looked down at the ICOM and my faced turn red! The
transmit light was ON!!! I don't remember the details on this but, somehow
when I plugged the headset in it also KEYED the mic!!! The transmit light
was on almost continously!!

I don't know for sure, but I may have stepped on my flights transmittions
and caused grief for anyone else on the frequency. I never did that again
and later found out that the type of jack I was using on the stereo headset
was the problem. Quite embarressing and now I know why they don't allow
such activity.

Kobra