Becker AR4201 tuning problem

Old October 1st 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hellman

Default Becker AR4201 tuning problem

Occasionally when I try to change the MHz setting on my Becker AR4201
radio the radio tunes in the wrong direction. In particular, turning
the outer knob clockwise should increase the MHz but sometimes
decreases it (and this is not when it hits the maximum value, where
that would be normal).

Has anyone else ever had this problem, and even better, know the
solution?

Could a noisy power lead cause this? (I suspect I may have a less than
perfect connection on the power lead and am working to correct that.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin
Old October 13th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phillip Kyle

I regularly experience the same problem when tuning, and I put it down to
changing the frequency whilst the channel was receiving a transmission,
but I haven’t confirmed this is the case.

And another problem…. After 4 years of private use since new, my AR4201
developed a low voltage fault which showed up when attempting to transmit,
(flashing display). After checking the voltage at the connector was normal,
and after several hours of head scratching, I concluded it had to be the
Becker radio itself. A Becker avionics repairer, advised me to check the
aircraft wiring. I was about to give up, and whilst switching the unit off
with the on/off switch I noticed the voltage display vary sometimes up to
normal instead of from below 9.5 to around 10.5. I did this slowly a few
more times, and was convinced the switch was at fault. The avionics
repairer now has the unit, and confirms the fault. Not very durable
considering private use only, and not too cheap a repair I might add. He
suggested using an avionics switch!

Phillip

Old October 17th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hellman

On Oct 12, 4:45*pm, Phillip Kyle
wrote:
I regularly experience the same problem when tuning, and I put it down to
changing the frequency whilst the channel was receiving a transmission,
but I haven’t confirmed this is the case.

And another problem…. After 4 years of private use since new, my AR4201
developed a low voltage fault which showed up when attempting to transmit,
(flashing display).

Philip,

Our problem with the tuning may be related to the poor power supply
you had. My other symptom is my Cambridge LNAV was not working
properly and the technician I spoke with there said it sounded like a
poor power connection. Turns out one of the relays in my ship is
faulty so both of our problems could be due to a poor power
connection. Once I get the relay replaced, I'll see.

Martin

LX5000/AR4201 interference Flavio Formosa Soaring 1 May 2nd 05 02:12 PM
Need CO analyzer for motorglider tuning Eric Greenwell Soaring 5 November 23rd 04 07:44 PM
VHF Becker AR4201 Philippe Home Built 2 July 9th 04 08:30 PM
Tuning up FS9 Dan Moos Simulators 3 September 14th 03 09:18 PM
Tuning In and Hot Take-Offs Art Cline Rotorcraft 0 July 28th 03 12:32 PM