Who has a night rating?

Old March 6th 04, 02:14 PM
Teacherjh

But I've never really understood the point of the training XC requirements
for the commercial certificate.

I can understand XC requirements and training requirements, but I can't make
head or tail out of the wording:
"10 hours of solo flight in a single engine airplane ON THE AREAS OF OPERATION
LISTED IN 61.127(b)(1)... which includes... a cross country flight..."

61.127(b)(1) includes stalls, slow flight, navigation, takesoffs and landings..
stuff like that. Well, (except for stalls) how else do you fly? And as for
stuff like slow flight and emergency procedures, you're supposed to do this ON
YOUR CROSS COUNTRY?

Of course not, but that's not what the rules read.

Jose

Old March 6th 04, 03:02 PM
Gary Drescher

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

But I've never really understood the point of the training XC requirements
for the commercial certificate.

I can understand XC requirements and training requirements, but I can't

make
head or tail out of the wording:
"10 hours of solo flight in a single engine airplane ON THE AREAS OF

OPERATION
LISTED IN 61.127(b)(1)... which includes... a cross country flight..."

61.127(b)(1) includes stalls, slow flight, navigation, takesoffs and

landings..
stuff like that. Well, (except for stalls) how else do you fly? And as

for
stuff like slow flight and emergency procedures, you're supposed to do

this ON
YOUR CROSS COUNTRY?

Of course not, but that's not what the rules read.

Hm, not really. FAR 61.129a4 says your 10 solo hours must cover the listed
areas of operation (presumably meaning all of them), and must include a
300-mile XC flight. But it doesn't say that the XC flight has to cover all
the listed areas of operation.

--Gary

Jose

Old March 8th 04, 03:38 PM
Paul Sengupta

"S Green" wrote in message

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message
Of course, the automatic-engine-roughner also comes into force
at night.

Paul

And when you cross the Channel

Actually I was coming back from Guernsey (to Cardiff) in a Cherokee 140
one day, and it was very hazy. Every time I checked the carb heat it sounded
like I was picking up carb ice (and I was up to every minute or so, or maybe
less...). In the end I kept the carb heat on until I'd crossed the coast and
it
became less hazy.

Paul

Old March 8th 04, 04:53 PM
David Brooks

"John Clonts" wrote in message

"David Brooks" wrote in message
To the above
cautions, I'd add: learning how to detect clouds (with and without city
lights underneath) and *really* listening to the current reports from
Fligh****ch. A/FD reading skills are also important - both the airports

used have traps for occasional night fliers.

Hello David,

Please elaborate-- what airports, what traps, and what information in the
A/FD is useful in avoiding those traps?

The displaced threshhold on Kelso 12 being unlit at night. I forget the
details of what the book says, but clearly it's tempting to land short.

Paine has a dual pattern for its runway (only one is open) after the tower
closes, and small planes fly a left pattern for 16R. To be fair, this is
announced on the ATIS, but that doesn't seem to help always: the plane
coming after me called in for a left pattern for 34L.

-- David Brooks