how would you enter this pattern?

Old April 8th 08, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

Default how would you enter this pattern?

Okay, it's spring on the seacoast and the wind is coming from the E
and SE. My favorite destination airport has two runways, grass 14/32
and asphalt 10/28. I much prefer to land on the grass, which is
primarily for ultralights, while everyone else prefers the asphalt
because it seems longer even though it isn't. (The grass runway
crosses the asphalt so most of us who use it confine our activities to
the northern part.)

The usual wind direction is from the north or west, so the traffic
pattern for runway 32 keeps me well out of the traffic for runway 28.
But the spring is a different matter. I've never landed on 14, and it
seems to me that a normal 45 entry would put me directly above the
asphalt runway, so that when I turned downwind I would intersect the
downwind leg for runway 10. That seems unnecessarily provocative!

What would you do? (Yeah, yeah, you'd land on the asphalt, but dang,
it's rough! And grass is where Cubs belong.)

Most everybody in these parts favors the 45 entry, sometimes from the
opposite direction with a midfield crossover to the downwind. But in
this case, midfield crossover for 14 again puts me crossing the
downwind leg for 10.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old April 8th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert A. Barker

"Cubdriver" usenet AT danford DOT net wrote in message

Okay, it's spring on the seacoast and the wind is coming from the E
and SE. My favorite destination airport has two runways, grass 14/32
and asphalt 10/28. I much prefer to land on the grass, which is
primarily for ultralights,
Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Dan: This must be Plum Island (2B2). I would
land on 10. BTDT :-)

Bob Barker N8749S

Old April 8th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 05:53:07 -0400, Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT
net wrote:

[...]

If the airport is indeed 2B2 http://www.airnav.com/airport/2B2,
given that the "ULTRALIGHT PATTERN ALTITUDE 400 FT AGL", if use that
altitude, you shouldn't interfere with the downwind leg of the other
runway. After all, your Cub is a LSA. :-)

Old April 9th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Midfield cross overs should not be an issue, we have parallel runways,
normally power on the west and glider on the east and we always cross over
the top coming from the west to east, to fly the east side downwind to the
east runway. Look, announce, look, look, look, do, look, look.

BT

Old April 9th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Denton[_2_]

"midfield crossover for 14 again puts me crossing the downwind leg for 10"

Given that you fly the midfield crossover at pattern altitude + 500 feet
this shouldn't be an issue...

Old April 9th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Martin

Cubdriver wrote:
Okay, it's spring on the seacoast and the wind is coming from the E

snip

What would you do? (Yeah, yeah, you'd land on the asphalt, but dang,
it's rough! And grass is where Cubs belong.)

If I insisted on grass, probably enter on an extended left base. Has the bonus of putting
you about on the 45 for 10.

Personally, I don't like the 45. There are much better methods, and I'm not going to fly
miles out of my way and backtrack just to get on the sacred 45 if I'm on the other side of
the airport. Use the radio, your eyes, and your brain, and don't cut people off without
asking them politely.
Old April 10th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:47:47 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

If the airport is indeed 2B2 http://www.airnav.com/airport/2B2,
given that the "ULTRALIGHT PATTERN ALTITUDE 400 FT AGL", if use that
altitude, you shouldn't interfere with the downwind leg of the other
runway. After all, your Cub is a LSA. :-)

LSA is not Ultralight, though. Is it? What would the FAA say to that
argument?

When I was training, my instructor used to take me down to Plum Island
so as to land on asphalt. One day I was landing on 10 and a Thing was
floating in on 14 and of course disappeared under my left tire. I
moaned.

Said Brian: "XXXX, I wish they'd give those XXXX a certificate so they
could take it away from them!"

His wish of course has come true.

Old April 10th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 00:35:41 GMT, "Bill Denton"
wrote:

"midfield crossover for 14 again puts me crossing the downwind leg for 10"

Given that you fly the midfield crossover at pattern altitude + 500 feet
this shouldn't be an issue...

But I don't! We fly the crossover at TPA. That's what I do, and that's
what I've seen dozens of other pilots do.

Otherwise you are descending onto the downwind, which my instructor
says is a no-no. Do everything in or near the pattern at TPA, says he.

Old April 10th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:32:42 -0400, Bob Martin
wrote:

If I insisted on grass, probably enter on an extended left base. Has the bonus of putting
you about on the 45 for 10.

Yes, that one looked pretty good to me as well.

Personally, I don't like the 45. There are much better methods, and I'm not going to fly
miles out of my way and backtrack just to get on the sacred 45 if I'm on the other side of
the airport. Use the radio, your eyes, and your brain, and don't cut people off without
asking them politely.

Um, I can't transmit on the radio. Ignition problem. I can hear just
fine.

I often approach on the 45 for the "wrong" side, cross over, and turn
downwind. All at TPA, as I was taught.

(I hate the 45. Those are the longest miles I fly, wondering why I am
approaching the runway that I can't possibly reach if the engine
quits. What do you guys think of descending on the 45?)

Old April 11th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:09:11 -0400, Cubdriver wrote:

Given that you fly the midfield crossover at pattern altitude + 500 feet
this shouldn't be an issue...

But I don't! We fly the crossover at TPA. That's what I do, and that's
what I've seen dozens of other pilots do.

Otherwise you are descending onto the downwind, which my instructor
says is a no-no. Do everything in or near the pattern at TPA, says he.

Amen.

--
Dan
T182T at 4R4

GT-4 Gemini 4 prime crew in white room at Pad 19 preparing to enter Gemini capsule S65-29647.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 9th 07 08:55 PM
C-182 pattern help SilkB Piloting 16 September 15th 06 10:55 PM
Right of Way in the pattern? Kingfish Piloting 12 August 11th 06 10:52 AM
How to enter a long flight plan into your GPS... John Harper Instrument Flight Rules 4 July 22nd 03 09:54 PM