GPS on my smartphone

Old December 2nd 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff[_9_]

Default GPS on my smartphone

I have a Treo 750 running Windows Mobile. Is there anyone out there running
an aviation GPS package on one of these, or similar?

I've done some digging and googling and found several options for a Palm
based treo and for a new IPAQ, but I'm looking for something to run on my
current smartphone. I'd like to have this as a backup to my other systems
and, I'm hoping, for cheaper than a full PDA system.

Anyone have any experience and/or ideas?

thanks ahead of time!

Jeff

Old December 3rd 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

In article ,
wrote:
I have a Treo 750 running Windows Mobile. Is there anyone out there running
an aviation GPS package on one of these, or similar?

Funny, I'm doing much the same thing. I bought a copy of Memory Map, with
the official CAA charts for the South of England (1 half mill and 3 quarter
mills).

The smartphone package is a bit basic, all it will do is show you your
current position rather than being able to follow a track. However, the main
reason I bought it was to be able to log tracks (something the Smartphone
version doesn't do sadly) and import these into the PC package after a
training flight to see just how bad my navigation is.

I think the package with the official CAA maps cost me something like UKP 70

Andy
Old December 3rd 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michelle[_1_]

Jeff wrote:
I have a Treo 750 running Windows Mobile. Is there anyone out there
running an aviation GPS package on one of these, or similar?

I've done some digging and googling and found several options for a Palm
based treo and for a new IPAQ, but I'm looking for something to run on
my current smartphone. I'd like to have this as a backup to my other
systems and, I'm hoping, for cheaper than a full PDA system.

Anyone have any experience and/or ideas?

thanks ahead of time!

Jeff

The screen is too small to be useful. I had an iPaq running aviation nav
software. I was faced with spending over $1000 to upgrade to weather so
I went with a Garmin 496. bigger screen and everything else I needed and
wanted.