Sierra Wave: Kestrel vs. 1-26

Old April 7th 05, 05:30 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Default Sierra Wave: Kestrel vs. 1-26

While Gordon Boettger had a fantastic flight, the OLC
web page

http://www2.onlinecontest.org/olcphp...ng.php?olc=olc
-usa&spr=en

shows two other nice flights. Pat Martin flying a
DG 505 and Robert Spielman in a 1-26D! The OLC website
scored him with 706.62 km!!! In a 1-26!

Nicely done, Robert!

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS1-d, 'W8'

Old April 7th 05, 07:38 PM
Eric Greenwell

Ray Lovinggood wrote:
While Gordon Boettger had a fantastic flight, the OLC
web page

http://www2.onlinecontest.org/olcphp...ng.php?olc=olc
-usa&spr=en

shows two other nice flights. Pat Martin flying a
DG 505 and Robert Spielman in a 1-26D! The OLC website
scored him with 706.62 km!!! In a 1-26!

Nicely done, Robert!

If an old Kestrel can go 1950 km, and an old 1-26 can go 706 km, why
aren't there a dozen of the "good" gliders out there going great
distances? Or, maybe, Gordon, Pat, and Robert are just exceptional pilots?

I suspect a lot of pilots don't think about flying "outside the box"
(wave window or glider operating area), and are still stuck on the idea
wave flying is only about going high.

I do know of one other experienced pilot that attempted wave XC that
day, but had difficulties with too much cloud preventing an exceptional
flight, so it probably wasn't an "easy" day.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old April 7th 05, 09:44 PM

2,000 km wave flights are so, like two years ago, dude!

What's really remarkable is the prospect of somebody unseating Doug
Levy on the OLC.

Old April 8th 05, 01:36 AM
BTIZ

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Ray Lovinggood wrote:
While Gordon Boettger had a fantastic flight, the OLC
web page

http://www2.onlinecontest.org/olcphp...ng.php?olc=olc
-usa&spr=en

shows two other nice flights. Pat Martin flying a
DG 505 and Robert Spielman in a 1-26D! The OLC website
scored him with 706.62 km!!! In a 1-26!

Nicely done, Robert!

If an old Kestrel can go 1950 km, and an old 1-26 can go 706 km, why
aren't there a dozen of the "good" gliders out there going great
distances? Or, maybe, Gordon, Pat, and Robert are just exceptional pilots?

Who has every weekend off for flying??

Old April 8th 05, 02:24 AM
Eric Greenwell

Ray Lovinggood wrote:

While Gordon Boettger had a fantastic flight, the OLC
web page

http://www2.onlinecontest.org/olcphp...ng.php?olc=olc
-usa&spr=en

shows two other nice flights. Pat Martin flying a
DG 505 and Robert Spielman in a 1-26D! The OLC website
scored him with 706.62 km!!! In a 1-26!

Nicely done, Robert!

If an old Kestrel can go 1950 km, and an old 1-26 can go 706 km, why
aren't there a dozen of the "good" gliders out there going great
distances? Or, maybe, Gordon, Pat, and Robert are just exceptional pilots?

Who has every weekend off for flying??

I don't know their names, but I'd guess 20-30 pilots in the Minden area.
Let's see, there's Minden, Air Sailing, Truckee - did I miss any of
the places there that have pilots every weekend?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA