P-51 question.

Old August 22nd 03, 06:31 PM
Ed Majden

Oh loosen up your G-suit there a bit. Without British and
American aircraft, Canucks would have flown into combat against
the mighty Luftwaffe on the backs of honkin' Canadian Geese
(nowadays, squawkin' Trumpeter Swans?) And since WW2, the
only Canadian fighter to go into mass production was the Avro
"Clunk." Not exactly a remarkable or enviable achievement in
fighter design and production for a country with a population of
around 12 million.

-Mike (*honk*) Marron

Granted, the aircraft flown by the RCAF during WWII were mostly of
British design along with some American types. Many were built in Canada.
As for the "clunk" CF-100 as you call it, it was probably the best
all-weather interceptor of its period. NATO asked Canada to send "clunks"
to Europe as they lacked night fighter capability in the early 1950's. AVRO
Canada also built one of the first jet airliners which unfortunately did not
go into production because of the Korean and Cold War, as all efforts went
into producing the CF-100 to provide early warning and intercept
capabilities of hostile aircraft coming in from the north. Fortunately for
all of us, this did not occur.
As for aircraft design, you forgetting the CF-105 AVRO Arrow.
Unfortunately, because of a "stupid" government decision, this cutting edge
interceptor never went into full production. This was partly a fault of the
US as they would not buy it as they were protecting their own aircraft
industry. Sadly, the prototypes were stupidly destroyed. Many of the
engineers on this project ended up at NASA making a considerable
contribution to the US Space efforts.
You should take you blinders off and stop getting your version of
history from Hollywood movies!

Ed (retired RCAF/CAF armament systems tech Radar)

Old August 22nd 03, 09:46 PM

"Ed Majden" wrote:

You should take you blinders off and stop getting your version of
history from Hollywood movies!

And you should stick your maple-leaf colored blinders where
the sun don't shine. Like I said, the NYC police department has
more personnel than the entire "Forces Armees Canadiennes."

-Mike Marron

Old August 22nd 03, 09:54 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: P-51 question.
Date: 8/22/03 8:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time
Ed Majden"

wrote in message

We all know that the Canucks never really did have an "air force"
(the number of personnel in all branches of their military is approx.
the size of the NYC police department!), but I digress...

More misinformed B.S.

Granted, during their "glory days" more than 60 years ago the RCAF
served the allied war effort with distinction. However, since then the
"Forces Armees Canadiennes" has unfortunately all but whithered away
in favor of y'all's communistic pursuits such as socialized medicine
and other "misinformed B.S."

The RCAF was the fourth largest allied airforce at the end of WWII.

You're welcome (the U.S. also left VNAF with the third largest air
force in the world at the end of the Vietnam war!)

Quite an achievment for a country with a population of
around 12 million I would think. Check your history!

Oh loosen up your G-suit there a bit, Colonel. Without British and
American aircraft, Canucks would have flown into combat against
the mighty Luftwaffe on the backs of honkin' Canadian Geese
(nowadays, squawkin' Trumpeter Swans?) And since WW2, the
only Canadian fighter to go into mass production was the Avro
"Clunk." Not exactly a remarkable or enviable achievement in
fighter design and production for a country with a population of
around 12 million.

-Mike (*honk*) Marron

Men who have the courage and will to fight will always find a way. What the
Canadians achieved was the result of what was inside the men. What they flew
was secondary.. They were our brothers in arms and deserve the highest respect.
No one has a right to tear them down especially those who never did half as
much.

Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old August 22nd 03, 11:49 PM
patrick savoie

"ArtKramr" a écrit dans le message de

snip
[...]

Thank you Sir, on behalf of my predecessors and my comrades-in-arms,

From a serving member of the Canadian Armed Forces

Old August 23rd 03, 12:17 AM

"patrick savoie" wrote:

[Kramer's non-sequiter's snipped]

Thank you Sir, on behalf of my predecessors and my comrades-in-arms,

Whether you realize it or not, you're thanking him for playing
to the gallery. Hitler was a master at playing to the gallery (e.g:
persuading others to his point of view by appealing to their emotions
instead of presenting evidence to support his twisted views).

In other words, ask yourself the following question: if the RCAF was
the 4th largest after WW2, where does it rank NOW and why?

-Mike Marron

GPT (Gulfport MS) ILS 14 question A Lieberman Instrument Flight Rules 18 January 30th 05 04:51 PM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM