Lycoming O-360 oil suction screen torque

Old August 17th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Lycoming O-360 oil suction screen torque

Hi,

I'm looking for the torque specification for the oil suction screen (the one
near the bottom of the engine) for a Lycoming O-360. It's the A4A model. I'm
planning on inspecting the suction screen on the next oil change.

Thx!

Old August 18th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve C

As I recall, that uses a crush-type copper asbestos gasket, so the plug
is trurned until the sealing surfaces just meet, then an additional
angle depending on the thread pitch of the plug. 8-10 TPI gets 67
degrees of turn, 12-14 TPI gets 90 degrees, 16-20 TPI gets 135 degrees.
This is for COPPER crush gaskets only, aluminum are different.

Steve

Old August 19th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Stache

wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for the torque specification for the oil suction screen (the one
near the bottom of the engine) for a Lycoming O-360. It's the A4A model. I'm
planning on inspecting the suction screen on the next oil change.

Thx!

I don't want to sound like a scrooge, but I would like to pass on
some information about maintenance. Pilots and owners have to follow
the same maintenance rules as A&P mechanics when performing preventive
maintenance. In the case of changing the oil and checking the oil
suction screen it is a good thing to do and should be done. However
you will need the Lycoming 0-360 maintenance manual while you do the
maintenance. The manual calls out a torque on the plug and if I recall
it states to replace the copper casket.

This will require you to have a calibrated torque wrench and make an
engine/airframe record entry in accordance with part 43.9. To be on
the safe side I would ask and A&P to check the work and have an A&P
sign it off. As a pilot/owner we are allowed to repair broken safety
wire, but are not allowed to cut it. So if someone were to ask if the
screen plug was cut you should answer it must have been broken. This
goes for the oil filter safety wire to. Sometimes rules don't make
sense, but rules are rules.

Stache

Old August 19th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Stache wrote:
As a pilot/owner we are allowed to repair broken safety
wire, but are not allowed to cut it. So if someone were to ask if the
screen plug was cut you should answer it must have been broken. This
goes for the oil filter safety wire to. Sometimes rules don't make
sense, but rules are rules.

What the hell are you talking about? As an owner I am allowed to safety
the oil filter. If I look at it later and decide I don't like what I
see I'll cut it out of there and replace it.
Old August 19th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article om,
"Stache" wrote:
sign it off. As a pilot/owner we are allowed to repair broken safety
wire, but are not allowed to cut it. So if someone were to ask if the

Actually, I can't find that restriction anywhere in FAR 43. Can you
provide a reference?

FAR 43.14 says, under the "Preventive maintenance," section, that
"Replacing defective safety wiring or cotter keys" is an acceptable
preventive maintenance item. There is no restriction on how the safety
wiring becomes defective, but my preferred method involves cutting the
wire.

JKG
Old August 19th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Jonathan Goodish wrote:
FAR 43.14 says, under the "Preventive maintenance," section, that

Actually, this is FAR 43 Appendix A, not 43.14.

JKG
Old August 19th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
tom418[_1_]

I can't cut safety wire unless I hold an A&P?

Gee! Lock me up. I've had to cut CSD disconnects on B727s twice in the
last year. I had a Captain who had to cut the safety on a Pneumatic brake
handle also.
"Stache" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old August 19th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

tom418 wrote:
I can't cut safety wire unless I hold an A&P?

Hey, anybody can remove things. It's putting things back that
are covered by the regs :-)
Old August 19th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
tom418[_1_]

Yeah, my SLR camera for example
OH NEVER MIND!!!!.
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message