Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt

Old June 22nd 13, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bug Dout

Default Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt

I'll try to add something constructive here.

I'm part-way (most-way?) through doing the fiberglass cowl halves for an
RV-9A. "Doing" means first fitting them, then attaching them, then
sealing them. So far I find it less fun than the canopy, which in spite
of the scare stories was straightforward in comparison.

The cowl halves are fitted (trimmed and fit), attachments placed (hinges
for the two halves, Skybolt fasteners around the firewall), and now I'm
sealing the fiberglass with WEST system epoxy. A messy job since the
epoxy, thinned with lacquer thinner or acetone per Vans instructions,
runs and drips, and then the sanding is tedious and just a chore. But I
discovered last night that wet sanding is far superior! No dust, just
rinse with the hose occasionally to get rid of the slurry, and my
cordless Makita orbital sander still works. It's even easy to see what
areas are properly sanded, and which aren't, by the way the water sheets
or beads.
--
Don't miss the donut by looking through the hole.
--Author Unknown
Old August 7th 13, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard[_8_]

http://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/news/2013/08/01/aviators-show-off-their-planes-at-inner-mongolia-air-show/2608577/#

I love this guy! Hell of a flight suit.

Nuomin He stands in front of his aircraft at the Air Nadaam Festival on
July 27 in Hexigten Banner, Inner Mongolia, China. Twenty private
planes, microlight aircraft and motorized paragliders flew in the
region's first aircraft festival.
Old August 7th 13, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bug Dout

I'm thinking his "flight suit" is not flame retardant.
--
Nothing overshadows truth so much as authority.
~ Leon Battista Alberti
Old August 7th 13, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard[_8_]

On 8/7/2013 12:36 PM, Bug Dout wrote:
I'm thinking his "flight suit" is not flame retardant.

Probably not...
But at least it's warm?
Old August 8th 13, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Wed, 15 May 2013 04:10:30 -0500, Richard
wrote:

Anybody still monitoring RAH?

I miss the days of Chuck, Badwater Bill, Zoom, Juan, Tony, John, John,
the RAH 14. I was mostly a lurker but it was great entertainment.
Old August 10th 13, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
whatever

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 01:08:26 -0500, Barnyard BOb wrote:

For you, Clare, I still think car engines in airplanes suck!

Stil kicking and flying...

~ Barnyard BOb ~

Glad that you're still around.

Is there any particular reason for your dislike of flying auto engines?
Old August 17th 13, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 22:39:07 +0000 (UTC), whatever
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 01:08:26 -0500, Barnyard BOb wrote:

For you, Clare, I still think car engines in airplanes suck!

Stil kicking and flying...

~ Barnyard BOb ~

Glad that you're still around.

Is there any particular reason for your dislike of flying auto engines?

Tons of reasons.
None of which convinces an auto engine enthusiast to cease and desist!

For the record, there are many successful Volkswagen and Corvair
engines powering homebuilts. Model A Fords engines have had
success as well. There are others, but no need at this time.

My favorite all time auto engine conversion is a Mazda rotory.

I like flying.
I like auto engines.

I like my highly modified 460 hp small block Corvette.
When it quits, I coast to the curb and call for a tow truck and
a taxi to take me home.

Try that with your auto powered airborne crate, especially as
a low time fearless pilot that has no idea how far over his head
he is.. and his wife and kids too, if they tag along.

Given decades of experience... I also like not being a test pilot
just fer grins and 'education'.

There are few with the skills, talent, brains and data to pull off
anything more than what might be called mediocre while putting
their necks at risk.

With that said, those without the proper set of skills, talent, brains
and data can't wait to jump on the bandwagon with their ignorance.
These doods that are first in line to risk their fearless chops.

The typical auto engine conversion person has not a single hour of
flight... he/she will get to that later. The whole idea of an auto
engine many times is cost... a Lycoming being too expensive.
Ditto for flying lessons.. at least until the plane is well along.

I can get in the air faster, better, and in the long run, cheaper,
and safer with a Lycoming and in a pinch... a Continental.

But.. that defeats the challenge of an auto engine doesn't it? g

Oh well.

Call me a coward... and a tow truck when the 'need arises.

~ Barnyard BOb ~