Oshkosh secrets?

Old February 20th 04, 04:10 AM
Ken Finney

Default Oshkosh secrets?

I was kinda sorta thinking about going to Oshkosh this year for the first
time, but from what I'm reading on the net, it isn't the easiest thing to
do. Apparently, the local hotels are all booked a year in advance, and if
you try to drive in, expect to spend a lot of time in line. So, for those
that have been there before, are there secrets? Like: fly (commercially)
into Milwaukee, stay at X hotel 50 miles from Oshkosh, and they have a
shuttle bus that gets to use a special gate and avoid the lines?

Old February 20th 04, 04:56 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:10:39 GMT, "Ken Finney"
wrote:

I was kinda sorta thinking about going to Oshkosh this year for the first
time, but from what I'm reading on the net, it isn't the easiest thing to
do. Apparently, the local hotels are all booked a year in advance, and if
you try to drive in, expect to spend a lot of time in line. So, for those
that have been there before, are there secrets? Like: fly (commercially)
into Milwaukee, stay at X hotel 50 miles from Oshkosh, and they have a
shuttle bus that gets to use a special gate and avoid the lines?

I fly commercial into Milwaukee, rent a car, and drive up. I haven't found
the auto-lines that intimidating, but then, I'm not arriving just when the
place opens, either (nor do I depart after the show ends). I've stayed at
hotels three times (two in Osh, one in Fond du Lac), private homes twice.
Two of the hotels had been close to a shuttle bus stop, otherwise, I just
drove. Riding the shuttle off the show grounds was a lot easier (and a
shorter walk!) than driving and parking, but the lines for the busses were
occasionally a bit long, too.

Once getting away from the immediate confines of the airport, I've never
found traffic to be very severe. Then again, it depends on how much
driving you normally do to get anywhere at home...I wouldn't find a
45-minute commute to Oshkosh objectionable, but somebody from a smaller
town might. I was trying to arrange just such a situation last year, but a
nice private home came up just south of town (~10 minute drive).

Ron Wanttaja

Old February 20th 04, 11:29 AM
Vaughn

wrote:

I fly commercial into Milwaukee, rent a car, and drive up. I haven't

found
the auto-lines that intimidating, but then, I'm not arriving just when the
place opens, either (nor do I depart after the show ends). I've stayed at
hotels three times (two in Osh, one in Fond du Lac), private homes twice.
Two of the hotels had been close to a shuttle bus stop, otherwise, I just
drove. Riding the shuttle off the show grounds was a lot easier (and a
shorter walk!) than driving and parking, but the lines for the busses were
occasionally a bit long, too.

Haven't gone for a few years, but one possibility not mentioned so far
are the university dorms. We did that once and it worked out fine. We ate
there, used their bowling alley and other goodies, and a handy shuttle bus
took us to and from the grounds. Don't expect hotel-quality rooms, beds and
baths, but it sure beats a tent. Made me feel good too, we needed the rooms
and the university can always use the money.

Vaughn

Old February 20th 04, 12:14 PM
AL

Vaughn,
Can you give us any contact info? I like the sound of the college dorms.
AL

Old February 20th 04, 01:04 PM
Jay Honeck

are the university dorms. We did that once and it worked out fine. We
ate
there, used their bowling alley and other goodies

You flew into the biggest airshow on earth -- and went *bowling*?

You must be a fellow Wisconsinite, eh, one time dere?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 20th 04, 02:53 PM
Henry Bibb

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
are the university dorms. We did that once and it worked out fine. We

ate
there, used their bowling alley and other goodies

You flew into the biggest airshow on earth -- and went *bowling*?

You must be a fellow Wisconsinite, eh, one time dere?

;-)
--

Jay,

You *really* need to put warnings in the subject line of a post like that.
It's only by luck I'd already put the coffee down.

HB

Old February 20th 04, 06:48 PM
Jeff Franks

no no no no no.

Pay no attention to these people!

The only way to experience OSH is to camp. Either fly in and sleep under
your wing/in tent. Or drive in and sleep in whatever you want to bring
(you'll see anything from tarps over motorcycles to $500k buses).

Lines are non existent and your stirred awake each morning by the sound of a
radial engine.

Hotels...pshh.

Old February 21st 04, 12:15 AM
Blueskies