FLARM Range

Old June 15th 15, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FLARM Range

Hi Andy

Very interesting, what parameters in the cfg File were changed? Do you have the cfg before and after for comparison?

Ueli
Old June 16th 15, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 1:02:24 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi Andy

Very interesting, what parameters in the cfg File were changed? Do you have the cfg before and after for comparison?

Ueli

I was pretty surprised as I didn't think the config file would have , but there are some small differences in parameters that should not have any effect that I would predict. There was a change in the protocol from 6 to 7 - apparently that is important but I just put it in by rote copying as I have not read the spec. I didn't keep track of the config file from last year as I tried a lot of things to get PCAS nuisance alarms to go away. It was either this file ('Before', below) or one pretty close to it.

Befo

$PFLAC,DEFAULTS
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,XPDR,2
$PFLAC,S,ID,AA8E2F
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT1,61
$PFLAC,S,BAUD1,2
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU1,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT2,61
$PFLAC,S,BAUD2,2
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU2,1
$PFLAC,S,THRE,1
$PFLAC,S,PCASRANGE,7500
$PFLAC,S,PCASVRANGE,600
$PFLAC,S,ADSBRANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,ADSBVRANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,2
$PFLAC,S,PILOT,Andy Blackburn
$PFLAC,S,COPIL,
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,N78AB
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERTYPE,ASW-27B
$PFLAC,S,COMPID,9B
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,15M
$file,dump

After:

$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT2,71
$PFLAC,S,BAUD2,2
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU2,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT1,71
$PFLAC,S,BAUD1,2
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU1,1
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,ADSBRANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,ADSBVRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,PCASRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,PCASVRANGE,300
$PFLAC,S,MODEC,0
$PFLAC,S,OWNMODEC,0
$PFLAC,S,PCASCALIBRATION,30
$PFLAC,S,XPDR,2
$PFLAC,S,MODESALT,0
$PFLAC,S,PCASBEEP,1
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU1,0
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU2,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOOUT,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOVOLUME,100
$PFLAC,S,ID,AA8E2F
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,PILOT,Andy Blackburn
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,2
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,N78AB
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERTYPE,ASW-27B
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,15 Meter
$PFLAC,S,COMPID,9B
$PFLAC,S,PRIV,0
$PFLAC,S,NOTRACK,0

Go figure.

It works now and it clearly didn't before - every flight showed range of ~1km immediately after changing to FW v6 and every flight since reconfig has shown the same range I had last year, prior to FW v6 upgrade (~8.5 km). The comparison I posted was two consecutive days at a contest flying with the same 17 gliders, so while there are always subtle differences in who you are flying close to and at what combinations of angles, it's about as close to a controlled experiment as you are going to get.

I have heard talk and read posts from other pilots reporting range problems after upgrading to FW v6, so I thought I'd post what worked for me.

Andy
9B

Old June 16th 15, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 7:26:32 PM UTC-7, John Carlyle wrote:
[...]

In my case I suspect the reduction was due to *adding* a Flarm B antenna. I did not put it in optimal place, so perhaps it made things worse. It definitly did not improve coverage in the blind spot, while (I suspect) may have reduced coverage in the best direction. The reduction wasnt nearly as bad as Andy described, only about 30%. After removing the B antenna, I am now getting pretty much the same reception as before during the 3 flights I made since, averaging 7km. However these flights were made in different locations and with different gliders, so not exactly a controlled experiment, but I dont feel like I have a problem now. I did not change the config file and dont see anything in my config file that I think needs to be changed. Andy you mention changing protocol 6 to 7, but I assume you refer to the firmware and not configuration right?

Ramy
Old June 16th 15, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 10:13:51 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
[...]

The reference to Protocol 7 (vs 6) is in the NMEAOUT commands:

$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT2,71

and

$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT1,71

I'm going to have to look up what it refers to in the spec. Now I'm wondering if something got corrupted when I did the firmware upgrade or if the existing config file somehow got overwritten.

The degradation in range was immediate, obvious and was resolved just as quickly and obviously with a new config file. That new file didn't try to change anything in the setup, though may have had some subtle differences in instructions. Because of my installation, the original config file was hand-built with advice from Flarm tech support, not downloaded off of the tool, so it's possible that something I was allowed to do in the old firmware stopped working in v6.

Gremlins...

9B
Old June 16th 15, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

I've found FLARM to be really frustrating to work with because it hasn't always been obvious what various configuration "do". That includes both the basic configuration and especially settings required to operate with various displays. I've RTFM, but the Manual is a little quiet on the Config File.

Is there another document that has more detail on configuration file values/settings?

Old June 16th 15, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

At least the new online configuration tool, link below, has SOME "hover over" information on parameters. Certainly not all information you might want.
I built a new file last night, and used communication protocol v7 per Andy's suggestion. Reading Andy's "before and after" I realised there are a lot of new parameters available in the version 6 firmware which are not set if you use the file from previous versions.
Perhaps many of us have been using the old config file.
Jim

http://flarm.com/support/tools-software/
Old June 16th 15, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 6:40:50 AM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:

Is there another document that has more detail on configuration file values/settings?

You can read the FLARM Dataport Specification. Here is a link to v6.

http://www.ediatec.ch/pdf/FLARM_Data...ual_v6.00E.pdf

To get v7, you need to send request to: . It's technical and mostly targeted at developers. Apparently, there is a Configuration Manual in the works.

Here is link to an annotated configuration file that helps explain some key things. Any line beginning with a # is commented out and won't be executed by your FLARM.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...ZTQ&authuser=0

9B

Old June 16th 15, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 9:19:36 AM UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 6:40:50 AM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:

Is there another document that has more detail on configuration file values/settings?

You can read the FLARM Dataport Specification. Here is a link to v6.

http://www.ediatec.ch/pdf/FLARM_Data...ual_v6.00E.pdf

To get v7, you need to send request to: . It's technical and mostly targeted at developers. Apparently, there is a Configuration Manual in the works.

Here is link to an annotated configuration file that helps explain some key things. Any line beginning with a # is commented out and won't be executed by your FLARM.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...ZTQ&authuser=0

9B

In the V6 dataport manual, it says that anything set to 71 is going to revert to 1 at the next power up.
Old June 16th 15, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 9:41:53 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:

In the V6 dataport manual, it says that anything set to 71 is going to revert to 1 at the next power up.

Apparently that's different for the new v7 Protocol - but I have not seen the new spec. Also apparently the protocol that needs to be used may depend on the device that's connected -- and some devices configure the protocol themselves.

Wheeeee! Fun!

9B

Flarm range Ramy[_2_] Soaring 7 May 7th 15 11:02 PM
Flarm IGC files on non-IGC certified Flarm? Movses Soaring 21 March 16th 15 10:59 PM
long range aircraft flying short-range routes? tupolev204 Piloting 10 April 22nd 11 07:44 PM
What is the range of the B-1B? user Military Aviation 10 December 24th 03 05:15 AM
Fuel Range Toks Desalu Home Built 2 November 14th 03 01:51 PM