Belt material for take up reel?

Old March 26th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Default Belt material for take up reel?

I'm looking for the belt material that was used on a take up real on a
tow plane we are using. It was 3/16" round, orange, rubber like
material. We had to cut the belt to length and splice it together in
place because there is no way to get it on without taking the reel all
apart. We would melt the ends together in place. The guy that used to
supply this belt material has died and we have no way to find it any
more. Is anybody else out there familiar with this stuff and know
where we can get more?
Old March 26th 10, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

http://www.mcmaster.com/#round-belts/=6dykx7
Old March 28th 10, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

GARY BOGGS wrote:
I'm looking for the belt material that was used on a take up real on a
tow plane we are using. It was 3/16" round, orange, rubber like
material. We had to cut the belt to length and splice it together in
place because there is no way to get it on without taking the reel all
apart. We would melt the ends together in place. The guy that used to
supply this belt material has died and we have no way to find it any
more. Is anybody else out there familiar with this stuff and know
where we can get more?

Did you pay under $1 a foot? Possibly urethane.
Did you pay over $5 a foot? possibly silicone.

Buy a sample of each, and get somebody to compare and contrast

Brian W
Old March 28th 10, 10:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_3_]

On Mar 27, 7:26*pm, brian whatcott wrote:

Did you pay under $1 a foot? Possibly urethane.
Did you pay over $5 a foot? possibly silicone.

Buy a sample of each, and get somebody to compare and contrast

Brian W

As Frank Whiteley posted, McMaster-Carr has the polyurethane belt you
are looking for. The tubular version can be connected using the
mechanical splice things they sell, or it can be welded. The solid
version can be welded. I've successfully welded it using a jig kluged
together from a short length of aluminum angle. The key is to get the
heated ends aligned quickly after heating the ends with a hot knife.
They sell proper welding kits for splicing, but they're expensive.

I can't imagine silicone being suitable at all for this purpose. It's
not mechanically strong like urethane and doesn't handle abrasion.
Also I don't think it welds well, though it can be joined using
silicone adhesive.

bumper

Old March 29th 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

bumper wrote:
... McMaster-Carr has the polyurethane belt you
are looking for. The tubular version can be connected using the
mechanical splice things they sell, or it can be welded. The solid
version can be welded. I've successfully welded it using a jig kluged
together from a short length of aluminum angle. The key is to get the
heated ends aligned quickly after heating the ends with a hot knife.
They sell proper welding kits for splicing, but they're expensive.

I can't imagine silicone being suitable at all for this purpose. It's
not mechanically strong like urethane and doesn't handle abrasion.
Also I don't think it welds well, though it can be joined using
silicone adhesive.

bumper

It's quite possible that the 3/16 in silicone round belt that
McMaster's sells for $5 a foot is mechanically inferior, and less
resistant to abrasion than the urethane 3/16 in round belt that they
also sell under $1 a foot. They are both offered in orange or orange/red.

Brian W
Old March 30th 10, 01:07 AM
shkdriver shkdriver is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian whatcott View Post
bumper wrote:
[...]

Years ago I misspent some of my youth messing around with early (1970's) rc helicopters, A schluter Helibaby to be exact. It used a 3/16 solid round material for a starter belt, this material was heat melted together, green, and as I recall, if welded carefully, VERY durable. Maybe local hobby shops carry the stuff?
Good Luck!
Scott W.

shoulder harness inertia reel Stu Fields Home Built 1 October 22nd 09 03:58 PM
Tow rope reel Don[_4_] Soaring 4 October 31st 08 05:05 PM
Tost Reel Cable Breakage Jim Kellett Soaring 4 July 15th 08 03:11 AM
Ground cable reel, retracting jerry wass Aviation Marketplace 0 April 8th 06 03:53 AM
Inertial reel shoulder harness - retro fit? Casey Wilson Piloting 16 March 24th 06 02:20 PM