Waypoint attributes definition

Old March 27th 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Waypoint attributes definition

Cambridge documentation defines the following:

Attributes:
A - Airport
L - Landable Point
S - Start Point
F - Finish Point
H - Home Point
M - Markpoint
R - Restricted Point
T - Turnpoint
W - Waypoint

Can someone please point me to an international standard for these,
and any additional, waypoint attributes?

thanks
Andy (GY)
Old March 29th 10, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 27, 3:06*pm, Andy wrote:
Cambridge documentation defines the following:

Attributes:
A - Airport
L - Landable Point
S - Start Point
F - Finish Point
H - Home Point
M - Markpoint
R - Restricted Point
T - Turnpoint
W - Waypoint

Can someone please point me to an international standard for these,
and any additional, *waypoint attributes?

thanks
Andy (GY)

Ok if no international standard - What attributes are supported by
SN10, SeeYou, Stepla, other?

thanks

Andy (GY)
Old March 29th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Andy,

SN10 supports:

T - Turnpoint
L - Landable (safe landing field, shows on Alternates page)
A - Airport (not necessarily landable)
S - Start point
F - Finish Point
M - Point of interest (Mark point?)

These can obviously be used in combinations; Turf, for example, is a
TLASF in my database. OTOH, Luke 2 would be a TA and would not show
up as an alternate.

Kirk
66
Old March 29th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 29, 10:43*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Andy,

SN10 supports:

T - Turnpoint
L - Landable (safe landing field, shows on Alternates page)
A - Airport (not necessarily landable)
S - Start point
F - Finish Point
M - Point of interest (Mark point?)

These can obviously be used in combinations; Turf, for example, is a
TLASF in my database. *OTOH, Luke 2 would be a TA and would not show
up as an alternate.

Kirk
66

Thanks Kirk.

Actually Luke 2 is a bad example since in the current database it
shows as "LT" and it's actually half covered by a housing development
now. None of the Luke Aux fields are designated as airports.

I have heard of the SN10 assumption that airports are not landable
before, and I have to say it puzzles me. Why would anyone preparing a
database ever assign the "A" attribute to a place that is not
landable? Is this to cover the case where the government source lists
airports that don't exist anymore?

Andy
Old March 29th 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Mar 29, 1:20*pm, Andy wrote:
[...]

As Dave replied here before it was for the case that say you decided
an airport was not landable for your glider, say the wingspan too
large for the airport. Yes so why mark it in the database at all in
that case? Personally I want all airports that are even remotely
landable in my database and I'll make a call when I'm flying if any
are really iffy. If it's totally not landable then it's not in the
database.

I have trouble seeing this was a good idea, since other software
handles this differently, but hopefully everybody (especially JJ)
knows about it now :-)

Darryl
Old March 29th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 29, 2:06*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:

I have trouble seeing this was a good idea, since other software
handles this differently, but hopefully everybody (especially JJ)
knows about it now :-)

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I remember that discussion now. However it seems, from a quick
scan of a GNII database and the same database produced for SN10, that
TP Exchange just adds an L for every A. The user now has to purge
the unwanted L instead of the alternate task of purging the unwanted
A.

All the more reason for my seach for an internationally agreed
standard for what the attibutes are and what they mean.

My motivation for this search is that I am a beta tester for LK8000
and want to have a reliable source for any guidance I provide on
database attribute usage.

Andy
Old March 29th 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

There is an extensive list of attributes supported on the Worldwide
Soaring Turnpoint exchange. These attributes are used directly in
Soaring Turnpoint Exchange (STX) and Tab-delimited files. See this
reference:

http://soaringweb.org/TP/codes.html

SeeYou (.CUP format) doesn't support waypoint attributes directly, but
instead uses a numerical type code.

I see that Dave Nadler has responded elsewhere about the NDB type
codes.

The US waypoint file generator on my website translates the attributes
used in STX and tab-delimited files on the Soaring Turnpoint Exchange
to SeeYou, Cambridge, and NDB formats. See my website for additional
information:

http://www.soaringdata.info

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old March 30th 10, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Mar 29, 3:20*pm, Andy wrote:
[...]

I used Luke 2 as an example because I changed my personal SN10
database to reflect the actual status of the turnpoint - just like I
changed Luke 1 from TA to TAL, as it is eminently landable!

I agree that the A vs L distinction is a bit esoteric, the A being a
bit redundant. I just use it for turnpoints that have "airport-like"
features.

Kirk

Waypoint database Don[_4_] Soaring 1 September 14th 09 04:22 AM
2007 BGA Waypoint Database Tim Newport-Peace Soaring 0 February 28th 07 11:51 PM
Garmin 295 waypoint message Bob Fry General Aviation 2 May 7th 05 09:17 PM
CNX-80 says "No active waypoint" Roy Smith Instrument Flight Rules 2 September 14th 04 03:06 AM
Inventing a GPS waypoint for a DP? Roy Smith Instrument Flight Rules 10 June 4th 04 04:04 PM