REccomend source for good cushion....

Old September 24th 03, 12:38 PM
Thomas Knauff

Default REccomend source for good cushion....

After hours of agony with the factory supplied cushions, we are having
custom cushions made for our Duo Discus. Anyone interested can contact us.
These will incorporate impact absorbing memory foam. We made similar
cushions for our towplanes and they are fantastic. We would need a pattern
for other glider types.

Tom Knauff

www.eglider.org

wrote in message
After two hours in the club ship today my butt was numb.
The stock cushions get hard after about 1 hour.
Can someone reccomend a good source for some relaativly thin cushion
material? (In the US)

Paul

Old September 25th 03, 03:59 PM
NigelPocock

After two hours in the club ship today my butt was numb.
The stock cushions get hard after about 1 hour.
Can someone reccomend a good source for some relaativly thin cushion

I would only use an impact absorbing cushion.I know of two pilots in the Uk in
the last two years who are only walking today because they used these. They
mould to your posterior so are quite comfortable. My longest is 7 1/2 hrs.They
are available in the US from Wings and Wheels.

If you use an ordinary cushion to sit on they will compress in an accident and
allow you to slide out of your belts.

I have even heard of someone using a soft cushion behind their back who slid
back on a winch launch so they couldnt reach the pedals or push the stick
forward!!

Nigel
Old September 27th 03, 05:29 AM
JohnD

I have broken tailbone (hard parachute landing) and probably would not
still be flying if I hadn't solved this problem. I previously had
trouble walking after only a 1 1/2 hour flight in a club ship.

I used two of the 'Astronaut' foam pads purchased from Wings & Wheels
and made a cushion. Mine had a small slot in the top pad to relieve
the pressure on my tailbone. Been using it for three plus years and
can comfortably fly for many, many hours.

(clay thomas) wrote in message . com...
(NigelPocock) wrote in message ...
After two hours in the club ship today my butt was numb.
The stock cushions get hard after about 1 hour.
Can someone reccomend a good source for some relaativly thin cushion

I would only use an impact absorbing cushion.I know of two pilots in the Uk in
the last two years who are only walking today because they used these. They
mould to your posterior so are quite comfortable. My longest is 7 1/2 hrs.They
are available in the US from Wings and Wheels.

If you use an ordinary cushion to sit on they will compress in an accident and
allow you to slide out of your belts.

I have even heard of someone using a soft cushion behind their back who slid
back on a winch launch so they couldnt reach the pedals or push the stick
forward!!

Nigel

The key to ridding yourself of numb butt is not so much the cushion
material,but taking some of the weight off your tail with the use of a
back support cushion. I borrowed one, the type sold to fit the small
of your back in a car seat, from my wife and it works wonderfully. I
can fly for 5 hours with no numbness whatsoever. Without it, using
NASA foam and a sheepskin, I still had numbness. Before you go out and
buy one just take a towel, roll it up and place it across the small of
you back on your next flight and you will see the difference. Clay
Thomas LS-3a