Panel Mount Microphone

Old February 2nd 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Ballou

Default Panel Mount Microphone

Greetings all. I am in the process of building a new panel for my ASW20C and am interested in dumping the annoying side mounted, goose neck mic, in favor of a panel mounted microphone. I'm also installing a standard plug in for a headset.

I read previous RAS comments on this subject and those who have panel mounted mics spoke favorably about their performance. The problem I found is the referenced websites either no longer exist or I can't seem to find panel mount microphones listed on the site. So, my questions a

1. Is there a domestic retailer?
2. Can anyone direct me to a specific site with panel mounted mics listed?
3. Can an automotive panel mounted mic work, like from a car dealer or O'Reilly's?
4. Other suggestions and recommendations?

Thanks everyone.

Bob
Old February 2nd 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you could safely remove the microphone element from the gooseneck one option would be to find a way to clip the microphone element to the shoulder strap of the seatbelt without compromising the belt. This puts the mic nexr to your head and then it's placed there automaticaly when you buckle in. Using 2-3 of the elastic loops like you find on parachute webbing should work suitably.
Old February 2nd 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

What a good idea! I rebuilt the rear mounted microphone in my old plane using a 5/8" goose neck and some special end adapters. I never thought to simply junk the goose neck and attach the microphone to my shoulder harness. The new plane's goose neck is starting to fail the same way the old one did, so I'll definitely give this suggestion a try.

-John, Q3

Old February 2nd 17, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

The problem with panel mounted microphones is to be effective they have to pick up sound several feet away. This is good in theory but the reality is a cockpit is a loud environment. A glider at cruise speeds has vario and wind noise that the microphone will pick up. Most aircraft microphones are designed to work at a few centemeters or less. A good quality gooseneck microphone works very well. Cheap ones are a headache.
Old February 2nd 17, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:26:33 PM UTC-6, Tim Taylor wrote:
The problem with panel mounted microphones is to be effective they have to pick up sound several feet away. This is good in theory but the reality is a cockpit is a loud environment. A glider at cruise speeds has vario and wind noise that the microphone will pick up. Most aircraft microphones are designed to work at a few centemeters or less. A good quality gooseneck microphone works very well. Cheap ones are a headache.

I've been using a panel mike in an LS6 for the past 2 seasons and it works better than any other mike I've ever used.

Cost about $70.

Apparently several other pilots in my club think so too - they are installing them also.

Way better than ANY boom mike!

Kirk

Old February 2nd 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 8:18:13 AM UTC-8, Robert Ballou wrote:
Greetings all. I am in the process of building a new panel for my ASW20C and am interested in dumping the annoying side mounted, goose neck mic, in favor of a panel mounted microphone. I'm also installing a standard plug in for a headset.

I read previous RAS comments on this subject and those who have panel mounted mics spoke favorably about their performance. The problem I found is the referenced websites either no longer exist or I can't seem to find panel mount microphones listed on the site. So, my questions a

1. Is there a domestic retailer?
2. Can anyone direct me to a specific site with panel mounted mics listed?
3. Can an automotive panel mounted mic work, like from a car dealer or O'Reilly's?
4. Other suggestions and recommendations?

Thanks everyone.

Bob

I have a friend that uses a panel mic in his ASW20. He thinks it's fantastic because its convenient for HIM. I think it sucks because I have to listen to him on the other end. He is usually under modulated, or drowned out by the ambient noise in the cockpit. This can be either wind noise or vario noise. Think twice...
Old February 2nd 17, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:55:47 PM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

Links to the ones that work are needed.
Just flew with 5Z on the weekend and thought that other than the vario being too loud that his panel-mount microphone sounded great.
Tom's vario speaker is in the panel, will be relocated and should then be fine.
Tom... Which microphone is it?
There are several types of microphones, with varying sensitivity, impedance, requirement for phantom power, and polar pattern. Some may not work with your glider radio, some may be too quiet or loud, some may pick up too much wind noise, etc.
Jim

Old February 2nd 17, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

kirk.stant wrote on 2/2/2017 12:16 PM:
..

I've been using a panel mike in an LS6 for the past 2 seasons and it works better than any other mike I've ever used.

Cost about $70.

Apparently several other pilots in my club think so too - they are installing them also.

Way better than ANY boom mike!

What's the brand the vendor?

email me)

Old February 3rd 17, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dang! My transmissions completely suck rocks - just ask all my flying buddies! Would love to not have to mess with a boom mike. Will keep an eye on this thread.

Bruno - B4
Old February 3rd 17, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 2:16:13 PM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote:
On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:26:33 PM UTC-6, Tim Taylor wrote:
The problem with panel mounted microphones is to be effective they have to pick up sound several feet away. This is good in theory but the reality is a cockpit is a loud environment. A glider at cruise speeds has vario and wind noise that the microphone will pick up. Most aircraft microphones are designed to work at a few centemeters or less. A good quality gooseneck microphone works very well. Cheap ones are a headache.

I've been using a panel mike in an LS6 for the past 2 seasons and it works better than any other mike I've ever used.

Cost about $70.

Apparently several other pilots in my club think so too - they are installing them also.

Way better than ANY boom mike!

Kirk

Kirk's works quite well. I got one for my glider based on the clarity of his. I wouldn't hesitate to install on if your considering it