cost of and problems of getting a glider out of Canada?

Old February 3rd 17, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morris Carter

Default cost of and problems of getting a glider out of Canada?

problems of getting s glider out of Canada?

Old February 3rd 17, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 3:30:04 PM UTC-7, Morris Carter wrote:
problems of getting s glider out of Canada?

Not hard to get one out. Expensive to get it in someplace else. Where do you want to take it?
Old February 4th 17, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 6:46:02 PM UTC-5, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 3:30:04 PM UTC-7, Morris Carter wrote:
problems of getting s glider out of Canada?

Not hard to get one out. Expensive to get it in someplace else. Where do you want to take it?

Assuming it's going to the US, here's the (Canadian side) process

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...xport-2039.htm

It is highly recommended to get the Export C of A.

Don't forget that you also must export/import the trailer, which can be more difficult than the glider within.

Dan
Old February 4th 17, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

The trailer is not so bad. Get a bill of sale, and the Canadian title & registration. Leave the Canadian tag on it. Drive it across the border. Mail the tag back to canada. Take the Canadian title and registration to the dmv. At least that was what it was like for me. Check with your dmv first though.
Old February 4th 17, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

As others have said- buying a glider out of Canada is not difficult since 99% of all gliders in Canada fly under a standard C of A, unlike all the experimental gliders in the US.

This means that Canadian gliders have not been modified and still conform to the original type certificate and for the most part repairs were properly performed and documented by a certified shop. Of course, this is something that you will have to assess with each glider.

It is much easier buying out of Canada than importing to Canada!

Old February 4th 17, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On the US side of things, you will need an N number. Reserve one right away, this can take some time to be assigned after the ship is de-registered in Canada. Then put it on the bird, 3" vinel is a good way to go. Armed with an N number, you can apply for US Registration. The ship will need an airworthiness inspection which may require a DAR (these guys don't work cheep)........ I went Experimental with an A&P inspection, then requested an airworthiness certificate from our local FSDO. All in all, not a big issue, but it may take some time to get everything accomplished.
JJ
Old February 4th 17, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Some things I learned while importing my Stemme from Mexico:

1. A US licensed pilot may fly a foreign registered aircraft in US
airspace (though saying "Five Juliet" is much easier than saying "Xray
Bravo Mike India Golf" on the radio).

2. I was required to pay a bond to US Customs to get clearance into the
US (even though, under the Customs regulations, there is no duty on
importing civil aircraft). That was an unexpected and onerous expense.

3. Local Customs agents at Laredo, Tucson, and Albuquerque did not know
how to handle importing a civil aircraft and so a Customs broker
(another fee) was required.

4. Reserving an N-number cost $5.00, IIRC, but took about 6 weeks of
waiting. Even after finding my desired number available, the FAA does
not know if they have another request for the same number ahead in the
queue, and so you'll have to wait until your number is awarded before
buying vinyl stick-ons.

5. The FAA would not accept electronic communications from Mexico. All
documentation had to be in hard copy (which took extra time). I was
told this was for Mexico only and other countries may be acceptable to
the FAA. YMMV.

6. Hire one of the documentation companies in Oklahoma City who will
walk your paperwork through the bowels of the FAA in a day rather than
waiting weeks for your paperwork to filter down through the system.
IIRC, that cost about $150 and was ever so worth it.

7. The sellers of the aircraft (a corporation) were anxious to remove
the aircraft from the Mexican registry and demanded I remove the XB
number while I was still enroute home, effectively grounding the
aircraft until my N-number was issued and DAR inspection were completed.

8. DAR inspection and Standard Airworthiness Certificate was quick (if
planned ahead) and expensive ($800 + travel expenses).

Other than the the above, the whole process was a breeze. My advice is
to contact an A&P/IA, a DAR, and a Customs broker well in advance and
have all parties ready to act when you get ready to import an aircraft.

Good Luck!

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 4th 17, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

If you're an AOPA member, they may be able to help/answer questions as well.
Old February 4th 17, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Much easier going from Canada to the US.

Sort out with your state DMV what hoops you have to jump through to license

the trailer. If too onerous, a Montana or Delaware plate may be a better
deal.

The provinces will issue a temporary plate without fuss.

Run the glider repair history by your local glider IA and/or FSDO.

Going into Canada it took two months to get my 20 licensed. The fellow who

took it back to the US had it flying in less than two weeks.

Canadian deregistration requires return of the Certificate of Registration
the regional Transport Canada office along with a statement that the
registration letters have been removed (think vinyl) and that the mode S
ICAO
id has been removed from the transponder (if you have a mode S installed).

Liens are registered in each province. The paranoid would want to check
several provinces.

Oh yes, bring the glider over the border yourself "for your own use"

If the seller takes it across, he MUST set up ahead of time with a broker
or
risk a $10,000 fine as a buddy found out the hard way.

Cash over $10,000 must be declared leaving the US and entering Canada.

Have your insurance set up before you hook up the trailer.

Old February 4th 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

2. I was required to pay a bond to US Customs to get clearance into the
US (even though, under the Customs regulations, there is no duty on
importing civil aircraft). That was an unexpected and onerous expense.

There are forms and using the wrong form will cause issues. I ran into something similar bringing an L-13 in from Canada a few years ago. At the first customs crossing I handed customs the wrong form (I had printed them all out just in case). This caused a requirement for a broker and possibly a bond, and being Sunday, the prospect of an overnight stay. We drove an hour west to the next border crossing and I handed customs the simpler form. He walked about, stamped the paper and asked me what I was waiting for. Didn't even ask about the trailer.

Not Mexico I agree, but I believe a bond only relates to a commercial sale or item for re-sale.

Frank Whiteley