LiFePO4 chargers

Old November 4th 18, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LiFePO4 chargers

My CP1230 LiFePO4 battery charger went south. Any suggestions on a replacement? What are you using for LiFePO4 batteries? Mine are 15 AH with BMS.
Old November 4th 18, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 12:52:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My CP1230 LiFePO4 battery charger went south. Any suggestions on a replacement? What are you using for LiFePO4 batteries? Mine are 15 AH with BMS.

2ea. K2B12V10EB (12.8V 9.6Ah, 122.9Whr) in parallel plus their charger K2C12V4A.
Have used them for years and they have not gone flat even during long flights while running the transponder.
Uli
'AS'
Old November 4th 18, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 9:52:40 AM UTC-8, wrote:
My CP1230 LiFePO4 battery charger went south. Any suggestions on a replacement? What are you using for LiFePO4 batteries? Mine are 15 AH with BMS.

I've used a few LiFePO4 batteries and chargers.
The ASG29 has 3x 10AH Tenergy LiFePO4 (2 in parallel, one separate) and one 3AH Bioenno in the tail as battery 2 of the Air-Glide. Powers CN2 display, CN Vario, Air-Glide S, PowerFlarm, Trig TT22 and Trig TY91 all day.
The Duo has 2x Bioenno LiFePO4 (9AH?) batteries, with comparitive performance similar to the price comparison.
For chargers, liking the Tenergy TB6AC, which will charge different chemistries and cell counts.
Bioenno also sell LiFePO4 solar charge controllers for the trailer or glider.
https://www.bioennopower.com/collect...er-controllers
Jim

http://www.all-battery.com/Tenergytb...ger-01436.aspx
Old November 4th 18, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 9:52:40 AM UTC-8, wrote:
My CP1230 LiFePO4 battery charger went south. Any suggestions on a replacement? What are you using for LiFePO4 batteries? Mine are 15 AH with BMS.

Not quite on topic, but I charge my LiFePo4 battery at home during the week. Since I've read about fires from such batteries, I put the battery inside an old steel toolbox, on my garage floor, with nothing near it.
Old November 4th 18, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I also have heard the stories about fires while charging, but, as far as I know, most involved a different Lithium chemistry (Li-ion, Li-Polymer etc.) LiFePO4 is supposed to be safer, but by how much I do not know. At any rate, I am pretty much stuck with charging them in the plane, as they are mounted well behind the spar, and it takes a good 20-30 minutes to get them out and put them back in.
Old November 4th 18, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 8:02:04 AM UTC+10, wrote:
I also have heard the stories about fires while charging, but, as far as I know, most involved a different Lithium chemistry (Li-ion, Li-Polymer etc..) LiFePO4 is supposed to be safer, but by how much I do not know. At any rate, I am pretty much stuck with charging them in the plane, as they are mounted well behind the spar, and it takes a good 20-30 minutes to get them out and put them back in.

Here is an FAA report that supports the assertion that LiFePO4 cells are safer: https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/TC-16-17.pdf

In their testing, which they admit had quite variable results, they did not get any thermal runaway with LiFePO4 cells, but did with all the other Li chemistries they tested. Note that the graphs in the above article show 1 cell out of 5 consumed by "thermal runaway" but that was the cell that they were heating externally to try and initiate the runaway.

Not to say that you shouldn't take precautions, all battery chemistries store enough energy to start an electrical fire, even if they are relatively immune to thermal runaway and overcharging.
Old November 5th 18, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the link to the FAA test. I picked up one conclusion that made reading the whole thing worthwhile, even though I am not an Electrical Engineer and do not claim to understand the report completely:

"In general, of all of the lithium-ion cells that were tested, LiFePO4 would be considered the safest cathode material because of the relatively low temperature rise and the resulting low likelihood for thermal runaway to propagate. LiCoO2 and LiMnNi would be considered the most hazardous because of the relatively large temperature rise and high probability for propagation of thermal runaway to adjacent battery cells."

Once again, thanks for the link.

Old November 5th 18, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You should take a look at the CTEK Lithium US charger.
Fully automatic.
Performs battery testing.
Can leave on float.
Old November 6th 18, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

+1 on the CTEK LiFePO4 charger. Not cheap, but it has several charging stages that really do stuff the battery full of charge - and much cheaper than buying new LiFePO4s.

The first few times I charged up my K2s (previously charged with a Fuyuang 14.6 Li-ion) it took some hours to step through the charging stages. The manual explains the charging stages.

I ran one battery over three extended flights and the voltage stayed up. The Air Glide S shows the voltage dropping 0.1 or 0.2 V; then coming back up a number of times. The BMS is on top of the job.
Old November 6th 18, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the report. As I recall the FAA is also tracking battery fire incidents of various Lithium Ion types and I don't ever recall mention of LifePo4 variant at least in commercially reported cases.

For chargers, RC community would probably agree Hyperion are excellent.. whether the battery has or doesn't have BMS. And I also like Hitec for the ability to use a thermal sensor during charge for emergency shutoff.

Battery Chargers Stan Amyett Soaring 2 March 12th 04 06:27 AM
Solar Battery Chargers Jay Honeck Piloting 32 February 23rd 04 12:17 AM
Battery Chargers Mike Rapoport Owning 11 December 3rd 03 12:55 AM
Rechargable AA batteries and chargers TripFarmer General Aviation 2 October 17th 03 06:34 PM
Rechargable batteries and chargers....... TripFarmer Products 2 October 17th 03 06:31 PM