2019 XC & Jr Development Camps

Old November 21st 18, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2019 XC & Jr Development Camps

Looking at the SSA on-line calendar I do not see any XC or Jr development camps scheduled for 2019.

To grow our XC ranks and our Jr's we really need to have these type of events more often - like twice a year (East & West).

I'm thinking of organizing a camp for 2019 that would be geared to developing pilots (all ages) to fly their first task as well as for Jr's who want to develop into WGC candidates. Experienced mentors would coach using lead and follow techniques, we would have briefings and focused learning topics. We would also recruit some 2 seat ships for developing flights.

Location: At one of the Texas clubs of TSA, SCOH, or GHSA (nothing confirmed yet)

Dates: End of July

Duration: 6 days (Sunday through Friday)

Before I put forth the organization plan I need to know what attendance could be expected.

Let me know if this is something you would attend or something you would support with either mentoring or the loan of a 2 seat XC capable ship.

Thanks,
Tony Smolder
TS1
Old November 21st 18, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

We had a Jr XC camp in Avenal this fall that was a huge success. And there is tentative plans for one coming up this spring in Williams. With the lack of a Jr contest on the west coast us Jr have started organizing our own flying events
Old November 22nd 18, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

We had a Jr XC camp in Avenal this fall that was a huge success, and there are plans to have another one this spring in Williams. With the lack of a Jr contest on the west coast us jrs have decided to start organizing our own events.
Old November 22nd 18, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Wednesday, November 21, 2018 at 3:04:55 PM UTC-8, Wyll Surf Air wrote:
We had a Jr XC camp in Avenal this fall that was a huge success, and there are plans to have another one this spring in Williams. With the lack of a Jr contest on the west coast us jrs have decided to start organizing our own events.

Wyll, would the Jr group be willing to come to Ephrata if there were an event?

Thanks,
Craig Funston
Old November 22nd 18, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 21, 2018 at 6:04:55 PM UTC-5, Wyll Surf Air wrote:
We had a Jr XC camp in Avenal this fall that was a huge success, and there are plans to have another one this spring in Williams. With the lack of a Jr contest on the west coast us jrs have decided to start organizing our own events.

Good job.
Have you done an article for Soaring magazine yet?

Hopefully we'll have a Junior event in the East also.

UH

Old November 22nd 18, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

Craig some people might be up for making the drive to Ephrata I'm not sure. You should post something in our Jr soaring slack group. Email me at
Akafliegslo at gmail.com and I can add you to it
Old November 22nd 18, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

UH in terms of an article in soaring, my friend Thomas Greenhill who was really the driving force in setting up the Jr event at Avenal is writing one (I think).
Old November 22nd 18, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Deane[_2_]

On Wednesday, 21 November 2018 14:04:08 UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Tony - thats great! We recently had a long weekend West Coast junior camp at Avenal CA - we had several mentors there including myself - we plan another in Williams in the Spring. We would like to hold one at Montague at some point also - Ephrata also a real possibility but a very long drive for the S. CA folks- I'm sure Tom Greenhill and the gang would go if they could.

Meanwhile , hereas a youtube vid of the Avenal event that the lads made up.

courtesy of Brent Davidson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uNZRM9eeNg

Enjoy!

Peter Deane 2T
Old November 22nd 18, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Please note the ssa’s calendar does NOT show all possible events at first. At the top of the page you have to select to see camps, other events, fun meets, etc. It is not intuitive and I bet most miss this. I wish it was defaulted to showing everything.

Give it a try. There are tons more events than what is shown at first.

B4

US: Pilot Ranking List (PRL) for 2019 John Leibacher Soaring 1 October 22nd 18 07:38 PM
Nephi OLC 2019 Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 0 October 7th 18 12:10 AM
2019 US Nationals [email protected] Soaring 6 August 28th 18 10:36 PM
SE US Wave Camps Lauren Soaring 2 June 3rd 14 05:28 PM
XC Soaring camps RAS56 Soaring 14 September 15th 11 12:57 PM