Discus polar curve at high speeds

Old December 18th 05, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Discus polar curve at high speeds

Hello,
Can anybody give me some polar curve data of the Discus at very high
speeds? (i.e. at Vne and/or beyond). Many thanks in advance!
Karl

Old December 18th 05, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
Hello,
Can anybody give me some polar curve data of the Discus at very high
speeds? (i.e. at Vne and/or beyond). Many thanks in advance!
Karl

No wings, so it is a very steep polar curve.
Old December 18th 05, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

To participate in the Darwin Awards????

Chip F.

PA USA

Old December 19th 05, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The polars of most gliders will be similar after the wings depart the
fuselage.

Andy

Old December 19th 05, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello Everybody, and many thanks for your most useful answers!

Let me tell you the strange story behind my strange request:

The aviation accident investigation establishment of an "old" european
country is preparing to present the result of their investigation
regarding a glider accident with a sailplane having Discus-like
performance (the pilot is a good friend of mine, and got away
unscathed).

The investigators of this establishment have observed that some metal
parts of the air brakes were bent in the wreck. Bench testing of these
parts indicate that an abrubt extension of the airbrakes at 460 km/h
(250 kts) or above can indeed cause the observed bending. For your
information, the Vne of the concerned glider is less than 270 km/h.
Surprisingly enough, this accident investigation establishment is now
using this fact as a proof that the pilot did indeed fully extend the
airbrakes at 460 km/h (250 kts).

I am now trying to help my friend present another proof, which is to
show that a speed of 460 km/h simply was unreachable the given day,
considering weak thermals and fairly low cloud base. However, to
prepare this proof I need some high speed polar data for the Discus,
which has a performance similar to the given glider type.

Best regards

Karl

PS: I would be very interested in having your opinon about the
probability a standard class glider has to survive an abrubt airbrake
extension at 460 km/h (250 kts).

Old December 19th 05, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

The investigators of this establishment have observed that some metal
parts of the air brakes were bent in the wreck. Bench testing of
these parts indicate that an abrubt extension of the airbrakes at 460
km/h (250 kts) or above can indeed cause the observed bending. For
your information, the Vne of the concerned glider is less than 270
km/h. Surprisingly enough, this accident investigation establishment
is now using this fact as a proof that the pilot did indeed fully
extend the airbrakes at 460 km/h (250 kts).

Have investigators given an opinion about how the pilot was able to
achieve 460 km/h and still had any wings attached before opening the
spoilers? And why he would wait until then to open the spoilers?

I am now trying to help my friend present another proof, which is to
show that a speed of 460 km/h simply was unreachable the given day,
considering weak thermals and fairly low cloud base. However, to
prepare this proof I need some high speed polar data for the Discus,
which has a performance similar to the given glider type.

Best regards

Karl

PS: I would be very interested in having your opinon about the
probability a standard class glider has to survive an abrubt airbrake
extension at 460 km/h (250 kts).

I think most of us are still trying to imagine how a standard class
glider can even get to 460 km/h and be in only one piece.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 19th 05, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm taking a wild guess here, a hypothesis only...

If you exceed VNE can you divide the failure causes into two families?
Structural and Flutter?

Ok, discount Flutter for the moment and consider only a structural failure.

If you are in moderate dive, the wings still have to support the weight
of the glider and therefore you have higher drag because the wing is at
some positive angle of attack.
However, if you are in a near zero G pushover, the wings are unloaded
vertically and therefore you are at a minimum drag condition from an AoA
standpoint. Then, if there is no flutter, you might get well beyond VNE
before something goes bang..

pondering out loud...