Vietnam era F-4s Q

Old September 7th 03, 05:15 AM
Les Matheson

The C model F-4 Weasel never was upgraded until we retired them in 1979.
--
Les
F-4C(WW),D,E,G(WW)/AC-130A/MC-130E EWO (ret)

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
Had to look it up in Larry Davis' book "Wild Weasel" (Squadron Signal)
to check. It doesn't seem logical that the F-4C WW would still be
carrying APR-25/26 when the supported aircraft were all equipped with
APR 36/37 by Linebacker II. But, that's what the book says.

It wasn't till after the war was over that the birds got digital RWR.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038

Old September 16th 03, 08:33 PM
funkraum

Ed Rasimus wrote:
[...]
Similarly there were a lot of guys in both cockpits who hadn't figured
out that when we cruised down the Med, back and forth between Incirlik
and Torrejon, that painting the area ahead in 200 mile scope could let
you find your way quite nicely from coast out to Sardinia, to Sicily,
to Crete, to Cyprus--all distinct island outlines.

Yeah, the good ol' days. I sure miss it!!!

Great ! This must be volume three, subsequent to the 'Polyester Party
Suits' volume. I particularly look forward to the sections on the
culinary topography of the Med, plus the accompanying appendices "A
Fighter Pilot's Guide to Fine Chow" and "Radar Signatures of Michelin
Three-Star Restaurants".

Old September 16th 03, 11:45 PM
Ed Rasimus

funkraum wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:

[...]
Similarly there were a lot of guys in both cockpits who hadn't figured
out that when we cruised down the Med, back and forth between Incirlik
and Torrejon, that painting the area ahead in 200 mile scope could let
you find your way quite nicely from coast out to Sardinia, to Sicily,
to Crete, to Cyprus--all distinct island outlines.

Yeah, the good ol' days. I sure miss it!!!

Great ! This must be volume three, subsequent to the 'Polyester Party
Suits' volume. I particularly look forward to the sections on the
culinary topography of the Med, plus the accompanying appendices "A
Fighter Pilot's Guide to Fine Chow" and "Radar Signatures of Michelin
Three-Star Restaurants".

That's why I stay in RAM. I wondered what the next project would be.
And, here it is...a combination of my favorite topics, flying
fighters, traveling, and eating good food. Gotta say, that I never
abused the public trust by taking an AF jet to a Michelin ***
restaurant. The valet parking guy could never figure out what to do
with it.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038
Old September 17th 03, 12:12 AM
Bill Silvey

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

Gotta say, that I never
abused the public trust by taking an AF jet to a Michelin ***
restaurant. The valet parking guy could never figure out what to do
with it.

"Excuse me, sir? Before you go in, where's the emergency brake? Is it this
handle right he-"CHOOF!

--
http://www.delversdungeon.dragonsfoot.org
Remove the X's in my email address to respond.

Old September 17th 03, 03:34 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
funkraum writes:
Ed Rasimus wrote:

[...]
Similarly there were a lot of guys in both cockpits who hadn't figured
out that when we cruised down the Med, back and forth between Incirlik
and Torrejon, that painting the area ahead in 200 mile scope could let
you find your way quite nicely from coast out to Sardinia, to Sicily,
to Crete, to Cyprus--all distinct island outlines.

Yeah, the good ol' days. I sure miss it!!!

Great ! This must be volume three, subsequent to the 'Polyester Party
Suits' volume. I particularly look forward to the sections on the
culinary topography of the Med, plus the accompanying appendices "A
Fighter Pilot's Guide to Fine Chow" and "Radar Signatures of Michelin
Three-Star Restaurants".

And don't ever forget: "No flying over the Nudist Colony 15.213 nm,
151 deg. Magnetic."

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old September 17th 03, 03:36 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Ed Rasimus writes:
funkraum wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:

[...]
[...]

As I Rember It, that dodn't stop a pair of USAREUR Cobra Crews from
stopping at a German McDonald's while returning from a border patrol
flight, back in the mid '80s.

(I think they'd have been OK if they hadn't tried using the Drive
Through Window)