French block airlift of British troops to Basra

Old September 18th 03, 08:23 AM
robert arndt

"Christians for Cheeseburgers." wrote in message . net...
"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
m...
French block airlift of British troops to Basra 16.09.2003 [06:41]

Sooner or later there will need to be some serious payback for France and
Germany.

Not while US forces in Iraq are still dying and the new election year
is looming ahead. President Bush has recently praised German forces
for their participation in Afghanistan and their evolving role in the
region.
Berlin for its part would be willing to send German troops to Iraq
should the US properly cede military and political control of that
nation over to the UN. The US could still have the biggest piece of
the peace dividend/restoration contracts... but Berlin wants a share
plus the reestablishment of its business contracts and monies owed.
Sounds fair enough to me. But then again, we live in the US and
consume an awful lot of gas. Iraq currently holds the second largest
oil reserves and when its industry and resources are properly
developed will surpass Saudi Arabia. For the US to relinquish control
of such a strategic asset now in the midst of unprecedented
international terrorism and national vunerability makes that proposal
unlikely.
Despite the rising death toll we will still probably arrogantly refuse
to budge until Bush's numbers start to seriously fall or another
conflict breaks out that requires calling up all the reserves.
US troops are already grumbling and we still have no exit strategy.
This can't go on forever with Bush merely asking Congress for
ever-increasing funds for a failed mission. We can't go it alone no
matter how powerful we are and we look foolish on the international
scene with the conspicuous absence of any WMD proof or link of Saddam
to 9/11. Simply waving a flag and invoking 9/11 memories won't last
forever. The US is still vunerable, our missions in Afghanistan and
Iraq are failures (no Osama, no Saddam, no WMDs, no restoration),
Saudi Arabia is not our friend and seeking nukes now, Iran is right
next door to our forces and has a nuclear weapons program, and the
DPRK situation remains unresolved... not to mention the Mideast
roadmap is in ruins.
So when do you propose payback on France and Germany? And why?
Shouldn't we be striking Syria, Iran, and the DPRK first? Shouldn't we
find Osama and Saddam? And shouldn't we stop meddling in Israel, allow
them to rid themselves of Yasser, and sit down with a real Palestinian
PM candidate willing to disarm Hamas and accept reasonable terms with
Israel that guarnatees them a state and Israel security?
I think you have your priorities mixed up.

Rob
Old September 18th 03, 08:44 AM
Pooh Bear

Tarver Engineering wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
Tarver Engineering wrote:

"Peter Kemp" peter_n_kempathotmaildotcom wrote in message
On 17 Sep 2003 04:17:05 -0700, (Michael
Petukhov) wrote:

French block airlift of British troops to Basra 16.09.2003 [06:41]

The French government has told an airline that it is not to ferry
British troops to Basra, a ban that will be seen as reflecting

Paris's
opposition to the occupation of Iraq.

Corsair, which has been chartered numerous times to transport UK
forces around the world, pulled out of a contract to fly
reinforcements to Basra at the weekend.

Good planning by the French.

Net effect of the move - Corsair loses the various UK charter
contracts to another, probably non-French firm, and generates some
anti French feeling in the UK. Oops.

If the UK public were to boycott French products like the American

People
have, the French People would riot.

If the French really want to irritate the UK they just get their farmers /
truck drivers / fishermen / ATC / whatever to go on strike.

If you're not familiar with the effect, I'd be glad to explain further.

Is ther an odor?

I think I see where you're coming from. :-)

Actually the main effect is to block main traffic routes to the European
mainland.- whether they be by air , sea, or road ( via any means of crossing the
Channel ) . I'm not sure if Eurotunnel operatives have done it too - in which
case possibly by rail too.

Sometimes being an island has its disadvantages.

Graham

Old September 18th 03, 09:05 AM
Simon Robbins

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message
If the UK public were to boycott French products like the American People
have, the French People would riot.

That's not likely to happen so long as the British public have a more
grown-up attitude to politics than a class of first-graders.

Si

Old September 18th 03, 02:00 PM
William Black

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

If the UK public were to boycott French products like the American People
have, the French People would riot.

I wish they would

The price of champagne and decent cheese would drop even lower.

Or do you prefer freedom fries and coke?

--
William Black
------------------

Old September 18th 03, 03:11 PM
Tarver Engineering

"William Black" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

If the UK public were to boycott French products like the American

People
have, the French People would riot.

I wish they would

The price of champagne and decent cheese would drop even lower.

French wine is all from California vines and we can't buy French cheese.

Old September 18th 03, 03:11 PM
Kevin Brooks

(robert arndt) wrote in message . com...
"Christians for Cheeseburgers." wrote in message . net...
"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
m...
French block airlift of British troops to Basra 16.09.2003 [06:41]

Sooner or later there will need to be some serious payback for France and
Germany.

Not while US forces in Iraq are still dying and the new election year
is looming ahead. President Bush has recently praised German forces
for their participation in Afghanistan and their evolving role in the
region.
Berlin for its part would be willing to send German troops to Iraq
should the US properly cede military and political control of that
nation over to the UN.

Not gonna happen, not even in your wildest Wagnerian dreams, Robert.
Perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to the massive record of
past UN successes in this regard--like the Middle East, or Somalia?

The US could still have the biggest piece of
the peace dividend/restoration contracts... but Berlin wants a share
plus the reestablishment of its business contracts and monies owed.
Sounds fair enough to me. But then again, we live in the US and
consume an awful lot of gas. Iraq currently holds the second largest
oil reserves and when its industry and resources are properly
developed will surpass Saudi Arabia. For the US to relinquish control
of such a strategic asset now in the midst of unprecedented
international terrorism and national vunerability makes that proposal
unlikely.
Despite the rising death toll we will still probably arrogantly refuse
to budge until Bush's numbers start to seriously fall or another

Did you catch yesterday's poll results? Bush beats *every* Democratic
challenger by a wide margin? Where is this massive drop in Bush's
numbers you keep mumbling about?

conflict breaks out that requires calling up all the reserves.

LOL! We now have over 172K reservists on active duty; how much more
are required in order to meet this doomsday scenario you forecast?

US troops are already grumbling and we still have no exit strategy.

US troops always grumble; part of what makes US troops unique, I
guess.

This can't go on forever with Bush merely asking Congress for
ever-increasing funds for a failed mission.

Failed mission? My, you continue to demonstrate a tremendous
capability for fantasy. Is Saddam in control? No. Is the interim Iraqi
leadership accepting more responsibility for their own governance?
Yes. Are *all* of the schools, universities, and hospitals open again?
Yes. Are Iraqis being herded into the desert and gunned down by their
mass graves as they were throughout Saddam's reign? No. And you call
that *failure*?! God only knows what you require of our military to
acheive *success* if that is the case.

We can't go it alone no
matter how powerful we are and we look foolish on the international
scene with the conspicuous absence of any WMD proof or link of Saddam
to 9/11.

We are not alone. That you are terribly myopic to the point of
considering any venture that does not include French and German
participation as "solitary" does not change the fact that British,
Dutch, Polish, Spanish, Australian, Italian, Lithuanian, Latvian,
Estonian, Honduran, Czech, etc., ad nauseum, forces are now serving or
have served in Iraq.

Simply waving a flag and invoking 9/11 memories won't last
forever. The US is still vunerable, our missions in Afghanistan and
Iraq are failures (no Osama, no Saddam, no WMDs, no restoration),

So you say; but then again, you have not exactly told us how to define
"success", have you? FYI, military operations are usually not the best
manner to capture a single individual; merely dislocating him from
power is a rather good first step.

Brooks

snip further rant
Old September 18th 03, 03:35 PM
Grantland

"Tarver Engineering" bellowed:

France seems intent on isolating herself from the civilized world.

Oh the irony. Exquisite!

Grantland