P-51's in movie "Empire of the Sun"

Old April 15th 04, 08:43 PM
Laurence Doering

On 20 Mar 2004 19:30:00 GMT, QDurham wrote:
Dan Ford wrote in part:
See my question to Gord about ground effect. Is it really there, as a cushion,

or is that a myth?

Probably a reality, but I don't recall noticing it in teh exercise mentioned.
Did have a friend who lost an engine in a P2V about half way to Hawaii.
Officially, too heavy to stay airborne, dump enough fuel to be light enough to
stay airborne, and one hasn't enough fuel to reach land. Double bind.
[...]
They went down to zero altitude --ground effect max -- went through plane with
bolt cutters dumping everything dumpable. They spent about 4 hours with one
mill feathered and the other operating beyond all redlines. Arriving at
Barbers Point (?) there was no "letting down" to a landing. They simply
lowered the gear onto the runway. Whew!

There was a similar incident in August 1957, when an Air Force C-97 had a
propeller runaway midway between San Francisco and Hawaii. The #1 propeller
eventually separated from the engine, damaging the #2 engine and prop in the
process. The crew jettisoned everything they could, and the aircraft descended
to an altitude of around 100 feet. On two engines, they flew for almost five
hours in ground effect and made it to Hilo, Hawaii with about 30 minutes of
fuel remaining.

The incident is described in great detail in chapter 12 of Macarthur Job's
_Air Disaster, Volume 4_ (ISBN 1 875671 48 X).

ljd
Old April 15th 04, 11:01 PM
QDurham

the aircraft descended
to an altitude of around 100 feet. On two engines, they flew for almost five
hours in ground effect

I suspect they were lower than that. Ground effect only has much effect up to
about half the plane's wingspan. Much above that there is essentially zero
effect.

Quent
Old September 24th 10, 03:37 PM
alan morriss alan morriss is offline
Junior Member

hi, i was one of the pilots flying in the movie. i always regard the time as the best 3 months in my life. the zero replicas were constructed at la ferte allais near paris to the design from tora tora tora . there were 3 flyers and the rest non flyers. initially the cannons were made from wood for lightness , but down in spain charles bishop the art director insisted that we had them done in metal . the extra weight put the centre of gravity to far forward, so we had to ballast the tail.
i was windy of doing aerobatics because of this, but tom used to loop and roll them. the p 51 pilots were ray hanna, mark hanna and hoof proudfoot.
on the zero replicas there was tom danaher, steve bolan and myself . victor kriz also did a little.
the very best bit of flying was cut. i was supposed to get airborne and be shot down by hoof in the p 51. tom asked me if he could do it, and of course i agreed. we knew it would be good. when hoof made a pass at him, tom was on the mustang's tail in 45 seconds, and there was nothing hoof could do to shake him off. it all happened at around 300 feet.it was about the most exciting bit of flying i ever saw. you do not become an ace for nothing, and tom got 3 in one day.
the bombs were filled with plaster for weight, and ray put them through the hangar front. if you watch you will see a 50 gallon barrel flying up through the roof. this was done by cutting the bottom out of it, and placing it over a bucket of avgas. 3 sticks of gelignite were hung above the bucket.
there are only 3 of us left alive now. alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Driver View Post

I was watching "Empire of the Sun" the other night and near the end some
P-51's attack the Japanese base. What struck me was that the P-51's were
flying in just a few feet above the ground and dropping their bombs. Would
this really have been done? How did the planes keep from blowing themselves
up?

This seems pretty routine in contemporary movies. It was ture I think
in Saving Private Ryan, in Windtalkers, and of course in Pearl Harbor,
where a P-40 chases a Zero down a street, about the level of the
second-story windows.

Of course at one time or another, planes flew at every altitude right
down to impact. The artistic failure is to take the exceptional and
make it routine.

Great movie, by the way--Empire of the Sun, I mean. But did you notice
that the entire tail section of the "Zero" turned? Probably it was an
AT-6 with a pointy tail cone pasted on.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old September 25th 10, 03:17 PM
alan morriss alan morriss is offline
Junior Member

hi again , before the first gulf war tempted me away, i was working up in inverness .scotland, on the marine pollution unit. our job was to spray oil slicks with dispersant. incidentally, this was not a detergent , but vegetablle oil seeded with bacteria.
using dc3s we spprayed from 25 feet. if you went too low the spotter plane could see the tracks of your propwash in the water and told you to pull up. we started our run from 150 feet , descending to about 25 purely visually. there was no turning below 50 feet . that run was the most nerve wracking thing imaginable, and seemed to go on for ever. however, we were well within the ground cushion, so little power was needed to keep the 80 knots required. you really noticed it. the relief when the spotter said spray off was fantastic ! we did 3 runs and then back to stornaway to refill. alan
"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"M. H. Greaves"
wrote:

I think it would depend on the attitude and the angle of attack, also

wing
area; the vulcan would float because of the wing area, it pushed a

cushion
of air in front of it at low altitude.

I think that it's there for all a/c, look at that huge Russian
jobbie...'ekronoplanne' (or somesuch). It was designed to use
ground effect...I understand that you gotta be within about
one-half of your wingspan from the surface. You can almost
picture it, imagine why they use those 'winglets' at the tips of
Airbus and others, they prevent vortices by 'discouraging' the
higher pressure air from under the wings curling up and over the
tips to the lower pressure air above the wing.
--

-Gord.
[/quote]
Old March 27th 11, 11:48 AM
Moonurlidonia Moonurlidonia is offline
Banned

Location: Russia

скачать аватар анг, торрент ру фильмы скачать, avon каталог 08 2010 скачать