Soaring apps for iPhone

Old December 27th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Soaring apps for iPhone

Just got one of these Apple gizmos and I'm curious what apps other
glider guiders are using. So far I've found some nice non-aviation
weather and mapping apps, so now I'm looking for a good NOTAM and
aviation wx brief app.

How about SPOT, XCskies, DrJack?

Kirk
66
Old December 28th 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RS15BEACH

On Dec 27, 5:32*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Just got one of these Apple gizmos and I'm curious what apps other
glider guiders are using. *So far I've found some nice non-aviation
weather and mapping apps, so now I'm looking for a good NOTAM and
aviation wx brief app.

How about SPOT, XCskies, DrJack?

Kirk
66

I'd like to see an app for an Artificial Horizon...just select the app
and place the device onto your panel via a large piece of velcro...

Beach
Old December 28th 09, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

I'd like to see an app for an Artificial Horizon...just select the app
and place the device onto your panel via a large piece of velcro...

Beach

There hs been several threads on using an Iphone on the various
aviation groups. Do not attempt to use the little AH app you can
download on Itunes for flying. The Iphone does not have gyros. It
uses
accelerometers which will not help you in an airplane.
Old December 28th 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Dec 27, 3:31*pm, cfinn wrote:
I'd like to see an app for an Artificial Horizon...just select the app
and place the device onto your panel via a large piece of velcro...

Beach

There hs been several threads on using an Iphone on the various
aviation groups. Do not attempt to use the little AH app you can
download on Itunes for flying. The Iphone does not have gyros. It
uses
accelerometers which will not help you in an airplane.

I like Sky Charts. Up-to-date FAA sectionals. It allows you to cache
several so they stay resident and can be used in places with no cell
phone coverage. Huge disclaimer that it is NOT to be used for
navication. I find it handy when I've forgotten the CTAF for a given
airport. The display isn't very good in full sunlight though, so it's
of limited utility.
Another pilot I talked to today uses an APP that gets and displays the
current METAR for designated airports. I didn't get the name of that
app though.
Old December 28th 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Smith[_2_]

On Dec 27, 7:48*pm, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Dec 27, 3:31*pm, cfinn wrote:

[...]

Check out AirWX. It has METARs, TAFs, PIREPs, Charts, etc.

Old December 31st 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

On Dec 27, 4:14*pm, RS15BEACH wrote:
On Dec 27, 5:32*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:

Just got one of these Apple gizmos and I'm curious what apps other
glider guiders are using. *So far I've found some nice non-aviation
weather and mapping apps, so now I'm looking for a good NOTAM and
aviation wx brief app.

How about SPOT, XCskies, DrJack?

Kirk
66

I'd like to see an app for an Artificial Horizon...just select the app
and place the device onto your panel via a large piece of velcro...

Beach

XC Skies is close to releasing a smart phone version that should work
on any mobile device with a web browser (Iphone, Droid, and the new
Google phone being released next week). Blackberry devices will not
work for this first round, as they do not support the full Javascript
specs for asynchronous connections like Safari, Mozilla, and Chrome
do. Works-arounds are being looked at. 2010 should be a great year for
improved soaring forecasts.

Cheers!

Chris Galli
XC Skies
Old January 1st 10, 10:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Ash

In article
,
Chris wrote:

XC Skies is close to releasing a smart phone version that should work
on any mobile device with a web browser (Iphone, Droid, and the new
Google phone being released next week). Blackberry devices will not
work for this first round, as they do not support the full Javascript
specs for asynchronous connections like Safari, Mozilla, and Chrome
do. Works-arounds are being looked at. 2010 should be a great year for
improved soaring forecasts.

Great news! I've been tremendously pleased with my XC Skies subscription
so far (about 18 months now) and the addition of a good iPhone site will
make it far more useful still. Looking forward to it!

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old January 6th 10, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Werner Rüegger

On Dec 27 2009, 4:32*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Just got one of these Apple gizmos and I'm curious what apps other
glider guiders are using. *So far I've found some nice non-aviation
weather and mapping apps, so now I'm looking for a good NOTAM and
aviation wx brief app.

How about SPOT, XCskies, DrJack?

Kirk
66

Hi Kirk, I found a nice little app called TrackLog. Allows you to
follow a flight on real time on the computer with spots (intervals)
every 3 sec or whatever you choose.

Werner/EL
Old January 6th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Werner, and everyone,

That looks like a very cool app.

I installed it on my iPhone and entered my iPhone ID into the TrackLog web
page and it displayed my current position on the map. I think it would
allow someone to follow my glider flight in real time.

I don't see where it is possible to setup the display interval (as mentioned
below).

It would be neat if it could display the locations of multiple iPhones on a
single map. Perhaps it can and I just haven't found that feature yet on the
web site. That would be great for use at the local soaring club, or at
contests.

The web site is: http://tracklog.streckenflug.ch

This could make SPOT tracking at contests obsolete - at least for owners of
iPhones. I can't wait to use it at a soaring contest this summer. Of
course, it doesn't replace the emergency features that a SPOT offers.

Very cool!

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.