Wiggly amps

Old April 30th 04, 09:21 AM
Don Johnstone

Default Wiggly amps

There have been many suggestions over the past few
months to fit equipment to gliders of all flavours,
most of them requiring electrical power.

The list is long, transponders, strobe lights, anti
collision warnings and thermal predictors.
We already have electric varios, turn and slip, artificial
horizon, gps, palm top, bug wipers and loggers and
I probably have not mentioned them all.

My question: Where is the power coming from to run
all these devices?

Old April 30th 04, 01:50 PM
Bill Daniels

"Don Johnstone" wrote in
message ...
There have been many suggestions over the past few
months to fit equipment to gliders of all flavours,
most of them requiring electrical power.

The list is long, transponders, strobe lights, anti
collision warnings and thermal predictors.
We already have electric varios, turn and slip, artificial
horizon, gps, palm top, bug wipers and loggers and
I probably have not mentioned them all.

My question: Where is the power coming from to run
all these devices?

Available power is a constraint. However, there have always been ways
around it.

The current crop of electronics consumes much less power than previous
generations. Heavy steel oxygen systems are being replaced by very
efficient systems like the MH electronic pulse demand system. I'm carrying
less battery weight than ever while using more electronics.

Bill Daniels

Old April 30th 04, 01:51 PM
COLIN LAMB

This solar panel works well - or a bigger battery.

---

Old April 30th 04, 03:44 PM
Herbert Kilian

Don Johnstone wrote in message ...
There have been many suggestions over the past few
months to fit equipment to gliders of all flavours,
most of them requiring electrical power.

The list is long, transponders, strobe lights, anti
collision warnings and thermal predictors.
We already have electric varios, turn and slip, artificial
horizon, gps, palm top, bug wipers and loggers and
I probably have not mentioned them all.

My question: Where is the power coming from to run
all these devices?

Don,

I just did some weight tests on my digital scale to determine the
difference between the common Lead/Acid gelcells we all have used for
decades and the NiMH cells I bought to power a Becker transponder.
Lead/Acid weighs 338g/AH while the NiMH technology shows 205g/AH or
60% of the older technology. Volume ratios are also around the 60%
mark plus you can wire the NiMH cells (I bought 4000 mAH or C-size
cells) any way you like to make a convenient shape.
Charging of NiMH cells is done with the equipment the model-aiplane
folks use, you can even quick-charge them.
There are of course even lighter and more compact technologies around
(Li-ion) but I have no experience with them.

Herbert, J7
Old April 30th 04, 04:07 PM
Phil Jeffery

Why ask such a stupid question when you know very well?

"Don Johnstone" wrote in
message ...

Old April 30th 04, 05:03 PM
Don Johnstone

No, I don't. The first glider I had a Skylark 2 had
one 7AmpHr battery and I ran the radio and the electric
vario for 2 days or more flying. There was also an
AH but using that flattened the battery in about 1
hour.
Currently :-) I have 1 7AmpHr Battery and 1 12AmpHour
battery which to be safe I charge every day, and I
don't have any of the extra items in the first list.

So what is stupid about the question? As my granny
used to say, 'I may be stupid but I'm nae daft'

Old April 30th 04, 11:14 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, "Phil Jeffery" wrote:

Why ask such a stupid question when you know very well?

In order to understand recursion, first you must understand recursion.

Bob K.
Old April 30th 04, 11:46 PM
Udo Rumpf

Why ask such a stupid question when you know very well?

In order to understand recursion, first you must understand recursion.
Bob K.

as in Wiederholung,repeat, recursive, no ?
Udo