Flying with Parachutes

Old August 11th 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

Default Flying with Parachutes

I'm just starting out with soaring. Simple question for you guys. How many of you fly with an emergency parachute? It looks like they cost around $2000 online. Pretty steep price; although the cost is insignificant if it saves your life. Is this something I should be looking to purchase?
Old August 11th 18, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 5:22:54 PM UTC-7, John Huthmaker wrote:
I'm just starting out with soaring. Simple question for you guys. How many of you fly with an emergency parachute? It looks like they cost around $2000 online. Pretty steep price; although the cost is insignificant if it saves your life. Is this something I should be looking to purchase?

You have to arrive at your own balance of risk and reward. Most folks that I know didn't wear parachutes during training. They generally started wearing them when they bought their own gliders and started doing flying with more risk exposure like contests or cross-country soaring.

I do remember one man who did wear a parachute while doing primary training in 2-33s. At the time I found it odd. Now I respect that he arrived at his own balance point of risk and reward and proceeded accordingly.

If you look around, you can find used parachutes for under $1000. If in any doubt, have it inspected by a master rigger before completing the purchase..

Thanks, Bob K.
Old August 11th 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 5:37:05 PM UTC-7, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
[...]

Do you know of any place I could peruse classifieds for this? I'd personally rather error on the side of caution. I dont really care too much if people think its nerdy.
Old August 11th 18, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
D S

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 5:22:54 PM UTC-7, John Huthmaker wrote:
I'm just starting out with soaring. Simple question for you guys. How many of you fly with an emergency parachute? It looks like they cost around $2000 online. Pretty steep price; although the cost is insignificant if it saves your life. Is this something I should be looking to purchase?

When I was training and asked a similar question I was told something like "...well you can, but since you'll be doing a lot of pattern tows it won't do any good because you won't be high enough to work." I don't know if this is really true (for a typical parachute) but I took him at his word.
Old August 11th 18, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

This good: https://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds

Old August 11th 18, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

I am kind of unique. I have a lot of power time, like 20,000 hours. Maybe 50 hours in gliders. I also have sport parachute experience. My 5th static line jump the static line failed. I can go on and on with that story but the bottom line is I learned a lot from it.

Here’s my take on parachutes. Almost every primary glider has provisions for them. My glider club has a sufficient amount for whoever wants to wear one. My training with the parachute has taught me that an emergency chute will save you at 200’ at terminal velocity. So you can actually get out on a pattern altitude shot. You would need to make an immediate decision and pull the rip cord as soon as you got away from the ship or when you saw the ground rushing up at you. I rarely wore a parachute doing primary training but religiously wear it in my private ship. It’s up to the individual on wearing one but it’s your life to decide on........
Old August 11th 18, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 6:22:54 PM UTC-6, John Huthmaker wrote:
I'm just starting out with soaring. Simple question for you guys. How many of you fly with an emergency parachute? It looks like they cost around $2000 online. Pretty steep price; although the cost is insignificant if it saves your life. Is this something I should be looking to purchase?

Hard to say universally, but the several clubs I've flown with in the US and UK, most training two-seaters were not flown with parachutes, often maybe due to payload limitations. It was considered bad form in the UK for the instructor to wear a parachute when there wasn't one to offer to the student.
Old August 11th 18, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

At my UK club parachutes have been used for all flights in club owned gliders for more than 20 years. Shortly after the then CFI made this a rule a ASK21 flying an introduction to gliding day was hit by an extraordinarily strong bolt of lightning and broke up. The instructor and student survived thanks to their chutes. Personally I had a midair collision with another glider 15 years ago. I and the other glider pilot both survived completely unhurt after using our chutes.
Old August 11th 18, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

We don't fly with chutes for most training or rides.
We tend to fly with chutes in either ASK-21.
Old August 11th 18, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I think I remember the lightning strike on the 2 seater.

Oh, and a PS on my other post, most private glass fly with chutes, not much of anything else.

Looking for parachutes. Bruce Soaring 0 September 4th 08 10:08 PM
Why I have parachutes Joaquin Home Built 1 September 3rd 06 03:31 AM
Parachutes again [email protected] Soaring 31 February 26th 05 10:53 PM
Parachutes Rodney & Becky Home Built 3 October 9th 03 12:33 AM
Parachutes Rodney & Becky Aviation Marketplace 0 October 8th 03 04:20 AM