Diamant 16.5 Part Out...

Old February 26th 05, 04:19 AM

Default Diamant 16.5 Part Out...

A FFA Diamant 16.5 Sailplane, s/n 44, is being parted out. As a former
owner, I spent a large amount of time and money to try and repair and
restore the ship to new condition. Unfortunately, bonding problems in
the right wing proved intractable, and the restoration was abandoned
many years ago. I am now assisting the current lienholder in parting
out the aircraft. All original parts are available with the exception
of the horizontal tail, instruments, and the right hand wing "box".

Even if you have a perfect ship with no need for any repairs, you might
be interested to know that the project includes $8000.00 of new factory
spares for the restoration, purchased just prior to the factory being
sold. New parts include such items as an instrument panel, controls,
levers, bellcranks, handles, decals, wheel parts, bearings and
fasteners, which are very hard to come by. These parts, as well as the
entire original control system, have been stored separately in sealed
plastic bags indoors at room temp for the last 19 yrs. Also available
is an excellent original canopy in the frame and the Service Bulletin
#8 spar stub kit with the ONLY installation tool in existence! The
ship is stored in a rare original factory FFA aluminum enclosed
trailer, modified by Gerlien to be an exceptional light weight (1800lbs
loaded) design that has been towed rock steady behind a compact car at
90 mph.

Mike Malis
Days 661.572.5528
Evenings 661.284.6967

#8 spar stub kit with the ONLY installation tool in existence! The
ship is stored in a rare original factory FFA aluminum enclosed
trailer, modified by Gerlien to be an exceptional light weight

(1800lbs
loaded) design that has been towed rock steady behind a compact car

at
90 mph.

Mike Malis
Days 661.572.5528
Evenings 661.284.6967

Mike,
Having owned a Diamant 16.5 in the early 1980's, I do have one word of
caution about the FFA aluminum trailers. You mention that it had been
modified by Gerlien. Please be aware that the trailer axle is not safe
as it left the factory. The axle was constructed with small male stubs
at the hub which are pressed into a central tube. The small male stubs
can separate from the central tube under x-wind generated side loads at
normal towing speeds. The result of seperation is a trailer going down
the road on it's side due to the rather top heavy nature of the design.
I would strongly recommend an axle replacement if that has not already
been done. I have first hand experience with this design flaw.
Al Thomas

#8 spar stub kit with the ONLY installation tool in existence! The
[...]

Al,

Thanks for your input. Don't know if the axle was replaced, seems to
me, it might have been. I recall the axle is the type used on horse
trailers with a torsion spring. I think after 60k miles, if it was
going to go, it would have by now. Still worth a check, and new axles
are not that expensive.