Newsgroup problem

Old December 4th 04, 02:34 PM
Morgans

Default Newsgroup problem

I am not able to receive the newsgroups I normally get, but am getting other
groups, when I try them. Is this message getting through? Write me off
group at

Ideas?

Take out the junk.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old December 6th 04, 02:02 AM
Rich S.

This is a relayed message from Jim Morgan:
My ISP has had my two favorite groups (this is one of them g) screwed
up for the whole weekend. I have tried to get it fixed, but "it is the
weekend", and "we have no idea what the problem is", or... substitute
you favorite excuse. I am hopeful this is resolved, but not at all
confident.

In the meantime, I am looking for suggestions for a web based
newsreader, that 1.) is free, since I hope I don't need it for long,
2.) can expand threads, so all of the conversation's headers can be seen
at once, and can be downloaded in the correct order. Basically, I like
the Outlook Express style of presentation.

Any help out there? What are your favorites, and why.

You will have to respond via e-mail, since I can not see the answer if
you post it to the newsgroup. Use Take out
the JUNK.

Thanks
Jim in NC

Old December 6th 04, 11:32 AM
Morgans

"Rich S." wrote

This is a relayed message from Jim Morgan:
My ISP has had my two favorite groups (this is one of them g) screwed
up for the whole weekend.

Well, it appears that whoever screwed it up, came back to
work Monday, and fixed it. Everything is back working, so ignore my
request.

Thanks, all.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 6th 04, 02:14 PM
Jay Honeck

Well, it appears that whoever screwed it up, came back to
work Monday, and fixed it. Everything is back working, so ignore my
request.

Welcome back!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 6th 04, 03:23 PM
jls

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Rich S." wrote

This is a relayed message from Jim Morgan:
My ISP has had my two favorite groups (this is one of them g) screwed
up for the whole weekend.

Well, it appears that whoever screwed it up, came back to
work Monday, and fixed it. Everything is back working, so ignore my
request.

Thanks, all.
--
Jim in NC

One of the reasons why I left Charter is because of their shabby usenet
support. They consider usenet an add-on (They will tell you so) and a
nuisance and when I had Charter their feed was Supernews, a genuine usenet
dud.

Old December 6th 04, 05:10 PM
zatatime

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:23:38 -0500, " jls"
wrote:

They consider usenet an add-on

All ISPs consider usentet an add-on.

Old December 6th 04, 05:34 PM
Roger

************************************************* **************
My ISP has had my two favorite groups (this is one of them g) screwed
up for the whole weekend. I have tried to get it fixed, but "it is the
weekend", and "we have no idea what the problem is", or... substitute
you favorite excuse. I am hopeful this is resolved, but not at all
confident.

Probably Charter. Yup. Just read the sig. They "upgraded" a couple
weeks back. The whole thing crashed (think it was Friday) and must
have come back up some time this morning. It wasn't up at 4:00 AM.
Seems to be back up here at least for the time being.

Now I have a choice. My system thinks it's up-to-date even though it
is missing the last 3 days worth of posts. They don't even carry 4 of
the primary groups I was following. (digital photography groups)

In the meantime, I am looking for suggestions for a web based
newsreader, that 1.) is free, since I hope I don't need it for long,
2.) can expand threads, so all of the conversation's headers can be seen
at once, and can be downloaded in the correct order. Basically, I like
the Outlook Express style of presentation.

Used to be Deja-News or some such, but I think they became Google. I
think Google then dropped all but the search engine.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old December 6th 04, 05:57 PM
Morgans

"Roger" wrote

Probably Charter. Yup. Just read the sig. They "upgraded" a couple
weeks back. The whole thing crashed (think it was Friday)

My last post I received was 3:31 PM EST Friday.

and must
have come back up some time this morning. It wasn't up at 4:00 AM.
Seems to be back up here at least for the time being.

Yep. Back up here, too. The amazing thing was that all the binaries groups
were still up. Also, the tecs I called at Charter did not even know that
there was anything wrong. They gave me an E-mail address for their news
service, but I have not heard back from them. Probably won't. They must
have been swamped from complaints.

Now I have a choice. My system thinks it's up-to-date even though it
is missing the last 3 days worth of posts.

I'm just going to forget about the missed posts. Too much hassle to sort
though them any other way. I think I'll live. :-)

They don't even carry 4 of
the primary groups I was following. (digital photography groups)

Too bad. have you called and bitched about it?

Used to be Deja-News or some such, but I think they became Google. I
think Google then dropped all but the search engine.

None I have tried came close to the convenience and clarity that OE
provides. I hope Charter can keep its act together.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 6th 04, 06:16 PM
zatatime

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:57:08 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

None I have tried came close to the convenience and clarity that OE
provides. I hope Charter can keep its act together.

Have you tried Agent? It's free. Once I took a look at it, I never
went back to OE.

Also, here is a link to a free news provider. May be helpful if
Charter keeps having problems.

HTH.
Old December 6th 04, 06:35 PM
John T

I just sent a b*tch letter to charter about the newsgroups. They changed
servers about a week or so ago, and now the groups are always messed up,
old messages showing as new (repeatedly), "no such article" messages, etc.

I'm using the same setting and stuff in netscape as I did with their old
servers, so its not on my end.

John

Spaceship One Roll Problem Kyle Boatright Home Built 25 October 18th 04 12:53 PM
Garmin Price Fixing Post from other newsgroup TripodBill Home Built 17 August 4th 04 10:42 AM
Ignition problem? nauga Home Built 10 July 1st 04 02:15 AM
The answer to the gasoline problem Veeduber Home Built 4 May 22nd 04 08:58 PM
Fiberglass Cowl Problem Boelkowj Home Built 6 December 20th 03 02:08 PM