A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Site ideas for a big Western US soaring trip next season

Old December 29th 19, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Hogue
external usenet poster

Default Site ideas for a big Western US soaring trip next season

So, it is raining outside and I haven't been soaring in a long time, so naturally I am thinking about soaring next season.... I'll bet I am not the only one.

The big plan is a soaring safari to the Western US next season. I may be able to take as long as 2+ months. I am looking for ideas for unique/new/underflown as well as classic soaring sites to try. And maybe other folk would like to hear ideas for such sites also, hence this post.

I fly a self-launcher (ASH-26E) so I don't need a towplane, but I do like the company (and buddy system) of other soaring pilots. I like to camp on the airfield in my simple truck camper (nice to have an electric power hookup). I will need to find a shower at least every few days, haha.

I would like to assemble a long list of possible sites, I'll be watching the weather and soaring conditions and deciding where to go based on what looks good at the time. And where fun folk and flying might be.

Here is where I have been on previous soaring trips, all of which were great fun and are on my do-again list:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado
Salida Colorado (although field elevation at 7500 ft is at, and on hot days above, my climb performance limits)
King Mountain Idaho (open next year, I hope)
Most of the Southern California desert sites, but many years ago....

Places that I have heard are great and want to try some day:

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho
Kingman Arizona (hello Paul!)

Please post comments on these sites and primarily more site ideas, as well as info on any camps or meets you know about that might not make it into the SSA calendar. Or PM me if you don't want broad publication of these camps/meets, understandable. Include as much detail as you can! Thanks!

Cheers,
Jim J6
Old December 29th 19, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 10:11:27 AM UTC-8, Jim Hogue wrote:
So, it is raining outside and I haven't been soaring in a long time, so naturally I am thinking about soaring next season.... I'll bet I am not the only one.

The big plan is a soaring safari to the Western US next season. I may be able to take as long as 2+ months. I am looking for ideas for unique/new/underflown as well as classic soaring sites to try. And maybe other folk would like to hear ideas for such sites also, hence this post.

I fly a self-launcher (ASH-26E) so I don't need a towplane, but I do like the company (and buddy system) of other soaring pilots. I like to camp on the airfield in my simple truck camper (nice to have an electric power hookup). I will need to find a shower at least every few days, haha.

I would like to assemble a long list of possible sites, I'll be watching the weather and soaring conditions and deciding where to go based on what looks good at the time. And where fun folk and flying might be.

Here is where I have been on previous soaring trips, all of which were great fun and are on my do-again list:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado
Salida Colorado (although field elevation at 7500 ft is at, and on hot days above, my climb performance limits)

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho

Please post comments on these sites and primarily more site ideas, as well as info on any camps or meets you know about that might not make it into the SSA calendar. Or PM me if you don't want broad publication of these camps/meets, understandable. Include as much detail as you can! Thanks!

Cheers,
Jim J6

Add Montague, CA to the list

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old December 29th 19, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence
external usenet poster

You might also consider Lakeview and the Alvord in Oregon. I had some good flights in Walla Walla Washington when the soring operation was open. Ephrata WA is also outstanding.
Old December 29th 19, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I’d plan my trip to be at Air Sailing Sports Contest, July 12-17. We always seem to have the best conditions I have encountered, year after Year! Great group that includes hard-chargers and neophytes, always friendly............I don’t believe we have ever had a protest filed in 30 years!
Come join us and enjoy great Sierra Soaring,
JJ
Old December 29th 19, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 11:11:27 AM UTC-7, Jim Hogue wrote:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho

Cheers,
Jim J6

Big Sky Soaring now has the Flying Y Airport south of Livingston, MT. Mission Mountain Glider Club Interest Group at Ronan, MT, has at least one self-launcher in the area. Both close to mountain soaring areas that need more exploring.

Frank Whiteley
Old December 29th 19, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Blanding, UT has great possibilities for the Canyon Lands area and it's
not hard to make it to the Wasatch going north and west.Â* Or you could
head east and pick up the Rockies pretty quickly.Â* There's a motor
glider based there, but I don't have contact information. I've flown out
of Cortez, CO with an ASW-24e over to Richfield, UT and back to Durango,
CO on two successive days around the 4th of July.Â* This was on a safari
with a friend (who flew one of the above flights) and originated on the
eastern slopes of the Rockies at Black Forest.Â* Safaris are great fun!

On 12/29/2019 12:34 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho

Cheers,
Jim J6

Big Sky Soaring now has the Flying Y Airport south of Livingston, MT. Mission Mountain Glider Club Interest Group at Ronan, MT, has at least one self-launcher in the area. Both close to mountain soaring areas that need more exploring.

Frank Whiteley

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 30th 19, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 12:34:32 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho

Cheers,
Jim J6

Frank Whiteley

You beat me to it, Frank. I've flown out of Flying Y. Greg Mecklenberg has a great thing going there!

I live in Ronan, and have yet to fly here, but have a tow plane tentatively lined up for this summer, so am planning to start flying the Mission Mountains, and beyond this summer. There was a group from WA that would come out here each summer on a club soaring safari, but they are no longer doing that. There is a guy with two motor gliders (PIK 20E and Dimona) in Polson, that flies here in the summer still. Hopefully I'll be able to post a few YouTube videos of this endeavor this coming year. If you make it out this way, let me know. We'll make sure you are "hooked up" with whatever you need.
Old December 30th 19, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

Here's a video of one of our Alvord Desert pay out winch launches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP8bVgG8xJc&t=41s

Boggs
Old January 6th 20, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 30, 2019 at 9:23:34 AM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
Here's a video of one of our Alvord Desert pay out winch launches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP8bVgG8xJc&t=41s

Boggs

Boggs, that's pretty cool to see the rope going to a little moving dot on the desert.
Old January 14th 20, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Hogue
external usenet poster

Wow, so much great info, thanks! I have enough site ideas for 3 or 4 seasons now!

My plans for this season are coming together, in particular I think I have obtained the all-important "kitchen pass" from the spouse. I had to offer up a 2 week break in the middle of the soaring trip, to visit family and friends in the west. Not a bad trade at all, actually win-win.

Thanks again, all.

Cheers,
Jim J6

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 12:11:27 PM UTC-6, Jim Hogue wrote:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho

Cheers,
Jim J6