Monday, Monday

Old November 10th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Monday, Monday

To All:

Try this address:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW7NpsHR3K0

A friend dropped by, insisted on escorting me on my Daily Trek. I
swear to God, if it weren't for these guys I'd probably just roll
over and go back to sleep. But everyone sez I gotta walk so I haul my
sorry ass out of the Bunker I've created in one corner of the kitchen
and we go a'treking.

Not much of a trek. Out the back door and a couple of circuits around
the patio.

We had a Political Cold Front move through over the weekend... lotsa
wind but nothing of real substance. The wind brought some branches
down on the greenhouse so I extended the Trek, down past the African
succulents, through the tomato plant jungle. As I was negotiating the
step up into the greenhouse my friend looks at the tomato vines and
plucks off three horn-worms. Three of those suckers! Plink, plank,
pluck. And big ones, too.

I knew there were horn-worms eating up the tomato vine(s) but I
couldn't find them. And there's my friend; pluck, pluck, pluck...
just like that.

"How do you DO that?" I asked

"Do what?"

I'm about ready to hit him with a cane when he reaches past me and
plucks off a fourth worm. Musta been four inches long!

"THAT," I yell at him, motioning with my cane.

"You mean... THAT?" and he does it again. Smaller worm but going to
town on one of the cherry tomato plants.

"Yeah," I tell him. "That!"

He just laughs, picks off a couple more. Baby-sized by now but they
don't stand a chance.and I swear, those suckers are damn near
invisible, they're so well camouflaged. He's really enjoying
himself. There outta be a law against a guy enjoying himself so much.

"Didn't you know I was color-blind?"

You coulda knocked me over with a feather. I've known him better than
20 years, knew his taste in clothes ran a bit on the eccentric side.
Brass-Pounder. Good, clean fist; no problem picking him out of a pile-
up. Then I remembered him putting together a Heathkit, back when they
had Heathkits. He'd built himself a niffty little Resistance
Checker. Just slide the resistor down this vee-shaped slot and read
the value off a VOM. Handy, if the color codes have been obscured
with varnish or what-not. Checks them, sticks them in a little
board, writes down the value.

The value of electrical components are color-coded: Bad Boys Rape Our
Young Girls But Violet... You are a sexist pig!

Well... Violet USED to give willingly but she got shot outta the
saddle about 1958, at least for Navy schools. Usta go like this:

Bad = Black = 0 (ie, Zero)
Boys = Brown = 1
Rape = Red = 2
Our = Orange = 3
Young = Yellow = 4
Girls = Green = 5
But = Blue = 6
Violet = Purple = 7
Gives = Grey = 8
Willingly = White = 9

I thought about it for a minute. We've got blind hams and deaf hams
and mute hams and some ain't got no arms... you name it, you can
probably find a ham that's got it. In fact, I guess I'm part of that
crowd now, what with having cancer and all. So I just smiled and
said, "Well good for you then!" and he picks another horn-worm off the
little tomato plant by the big fern.

"They look different?" I asked him.

He nods, "Oh yeah. Big difference." I'm about to ask him what COLOR
they are then kick myself, 'cause he's got a completely different
spectrum to go by. "See?" he sez, pointing out a worm no more than
an inch long. Even with him pointing it takes me a minute to spot the
damn thang. "BIG difference," he insists as he gently lifts the worm
free and tosses it over by the fountain, where a bird pounces on it.

We finished my trek and he charged me a cuppa coffee and I let him
play with my radio, a Yaesu FT-817 with an automatic tuner I built
outta a kit. The whole thing isn't much bigger than a large novel
but it'll tune DC to daylight and runs off a car battery, if
necessary. I've had it for quite a while. Had to save a whole year
before I could afford it. He breaks into a round-table in Texas and
chats a bit, explaining he's never done so will on such low power.
The guys in 5-land give him some signal reports and he signs off. And
out, heading out the door, threatening to come back. And he's one of
those guys who keeps his word.

Monday, Monday...

Wife's off shopping and I go back to what I was doing, which is making
a 3-bay version of Chugger's wing-ribs, something light & airy;
something suitable for a Primary Glider.

--R.S.Hoover

PS -- There's several Groups specific to the FT-817. One of them has
almost 10,000(!!) subscribers. For comparison the Volkswagen Group
has less than 1,000 subscribers and at least half of those are
dormant.
In fact, you can find a Group for just about ANYTHING... Ladies named
Lou with blue hair who drive a Ford F-150 and drinks only white wine.

I once proposed a Usenet Group for lazy people. Trouble is,we
couldn't get anyone to sign on for it. (yawn)
-rsh

Old November 11th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Copperhead

Good for you Bob, I'm glad your getting around more and have such good
friends to visit with. I've never tried Ham Radio, but recently looked
into the study material resources online. Lot's, and nice books too!
Oh well I live so deep in a hollow with limestone behing me I doubt
I'd ever be able to do much without a lot of know how and building,
think I might settle for a reciever instead.

Joe

Old November 11th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

Thanks!

Gets me thinking...maybe make up some glasses with green/blue (?) filters in then so you can see the worms
better...Horn-worm glasses?

;-)

Old November 11th 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Nov 10, 5:08*pm, "Blueskies" wrote:
Thanks!

Gets me thinking...maybe make up some glasses with green/blue (?) *filters in then so you can see the worms
better...Horn-worm glasses?

Groan!
Old November 11th 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Ward[_1_]

wrote in message
PS -- There's several Groups specific to the FT-817. One of them has
almost 10,000(!!) subscribers. For comparison the Volkswagen Group
has less than 1,000 subscribers and at least half of those are
dormant.
In fact, you can find a Group for just about ANYTHING... Ladies named
Lou with blue hair who drive a Ford F-150 and drinks only white wine.

I once proposed a Usenet Group for lazy people. Trouble is,we
couldn't get anyone to sign on for it. (yawn)
-rsh

Yeah, I'm going to start a Procrastinator's group. One of these days.

Tim Ward

Old November 11th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

I teach in a "politically correct" coed school, so I've been reduced to:

Better Be Ready Or Your Great Big Venture Goes West

Jim

Old November 11th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve

wrote in message
Well... Violet USED to give willingly but she got shot outta the
saddle about 1958, at least for Navy schools. Usta go like this:

Bad = Black = 0 (ie, Zero)
Boys = Brown = 1
Rape = Red = 2
Our = Orange = 3
Young = Yellow = 4
Girls = Green = 5
But = Blue = 6
Violet = Purple = 7
Gives = Grey = 8
Willingly = White = 9

BEE school NTSC San Diego 1976 learned me the same way :-)

Old November 12th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
dave

Steve wrote:
wrote in message
Well... Violet USED to give willingly but she got shot outta the
saddle about 1958, at least for Navy schools. Usta go like this:

Bad = Black = 0 (ie, Zero)
Boys = Brown = 1
Rape = Red = 2
Our = Orange = 3
Young = Yellow = 4
Girls = Green = 5
But = Blue = 6
Violet = Purple = 7
Gives = Grey = 8
Willingly = White = 9

BEE school NTSC San Diego 1976 learned me the same way :-)

Early 80's and it has stuck with me ever since. What's wrong with that?
Old November 12th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

wrote in message ...
On Nov 10, 5:08 pm, "Blueskies" wrote:
Thanks!

Gets me thinking...maybe make up some glasses with green/blue (?) filters in then so you can see the worms
better...Horn-worm glasses?

Groan!

Glad you got it...may be a pretty good idea though. Maybe they need to be a shade of red. Any idea what part of the
spectrum your friend was blind to?

Old November 12th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

"Dave" wrote in message

Steve wrote:
wrote in message
Well... Violet USED to give willingly but she got shot outta the
saddle about 1958, at least for Navy schools. Usta go like this:

Bad = Black = 0 (ie, Zero)
Boys = Brown = 1
Rape = Red = 2
Our = Orange = 3
Young = Yellow = 4
Girls = Green = 5
But = Blue = 6
Violet = Purple = 7
Gives = Grey = 8
Willingly = White = 9

BEE school NTSC San Diego 1976 learned me the same way :-)

Early 80's and it has stuck with me ever since. What's wrong with that?

That is the way it was taught at Airborne Communication/Navigation/Radar
school, Scott AFB, ILL, 1957. No political correctness then, fer sure.

Flash