My Trip To The Avionics Shop $$$$$

Old March 28th 04, 05:14 AM
MRQB

Default My Trip To The Avionics Shop $$$$$

Well my bird spent 6 hours at the avionics/instrument shop today getting a
pito static & transponder encoder check now the results

Transponder/Encoder Working 100% To 20,000 feet
Altimeter Working 100% Well With in Specs To 14,000 feet did not go higher
then aircraft service ceiling
VSI Working 100%
Static System Pass
Pito System Fail Has Leak In System = Traced To Airspeed Indicator Leak on
Pito Side Needs Rebuilt Anyone know of a good place to a rebuild have
done or a decent replacement?
Turn Coordinator Bad = Barings Making Noise Needs Rebuilt Anyone know
of a good place to have a rebuild done or a decent replacement?
1 Vor Head OK
1 Vor Head W/ Glide Slope Bad = Localizer Works Great, Vor Is Off 8 Degrees,
Glide Slope don't go to full deflection Non serviceable needs replaced.

Other than my first bill in owning was a fun exciting day in the shop they
were very friendly and explained everything that they were doing and answerd
all my questions i really learned how all the insturments work kinda cool if
i decide to replace instrad of rebuild ill have some that i can take apart
and play with.

Old March 28th 04, 02:45 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Never, never, never, rebuild a gyro instrument that your life depends
upon... Always replace with new...

If the GS head is your only one, then it has to be new... If you have a
backup, then overhaul is OK - in your case it is not capable of an OH and
you don't have a backup GS, so moot point...
On the airspeed, I personally would replace it with new, but since a non
functioning airspeed won't kill you, overhaul is an option...

denny

Old March 28th 04, 03:08 PM
Ray Andraka

I disagree. A good overhaul is just as good as brand new, and may even be
better if you have one of the older units. The overhaul gets all the
bearings replaced and is cleaned up. Gyros are pretty simple mechanical
devices. It is just as likely to have a new one fail as it is an overhauled
unit. Why pay for new for the pieces that don't wear?

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

Never, never, never, rebuild a gyro instrument that your life depends
upon... Always replace with new...

If the GS head is your only one, then it has to be new... If you have a
backup, then overhaul is OK - in your case it is not capable of an OH and
you don't have a backup GS, so moot point...
On the airspeed, I personally would replace it with new, but since a non
functioning airspeed won't kill you, overhaul is an option...

denny

"MRQB" wrote in message

--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950
email
http://www.andraka.com

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 28th 04, 04:48 PM
Newps

Dennis O'Connor wrote:
Never, never, never, rebuild a gyro instrument that your life depends
upon... Always replace with new...

Drivel.

Old March 28th 04, 05:47 PM
Jim Weir

The Gyro House
Auburn CA

Possibly the most competent and trustworthy instrument overhaul shop in
existence, certainly in Northern California.

Jim

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old March 28th 04, 05:57 PM
G.R. Patterson III

MRQB wrote:

Pito System Fail Has Leak In System = Traced To Airspeed Indicator Leak on
Pito Side Needs Rebuilt Anyone know of a good place to a rebuild have
done or a decent replacement?
Turn Coordinator Bad = Barings Making Noise Needs Rebuilt Anyone know
of a good place to have a rebuild done or a decent replacement?
1 Vor Head W/ Glide Slope Bad = Localizer Works Great, Vor Is Off 8 Degrees,
Glide Slope don't go to full deflection Non serviceable needs replaced.

I recommend Bernie Ducasse for instrument repair in the northeast. 215-673-5050.
Ducasse Instrument Service
Northeast Philadelphia Airport
Philadelphia, PA 19114

Here are a few links to outlets for new stuff.
http://www.avionix.com
http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com
http://www.chiefaircraft.com
http://www.aircraft-spruce.com
http://store.wagaero.com

Wentworth Salvage is a good source for used parts. Also check the front section
of Trade-A-Plane. You might pick up a good deal on a used GS indicator there.
I avoid Century rebuilt instruments. I bought one once. YMMV.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 28th 04, 06:18 PM
Frank Stutzman

Jim Weir wrote:

The Gyro House
Auburn CA

Possibly the most competent and trustworthy instrument overhaul shop in
existence, certainly in Northern California.

Seconded, even if they didn't get my T&B overhaul right the first time.
They got it the second time and gave me no hassel about sending it back to
them.

They didn't seem to understand me when I said I wanted some extra hummus
to go with my gyro, though.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old March 28th 04, 09:08 PM
jsmith

They didn't seem to understand me when I said I wanted some extra hummus
to go with my gyro, though.

Must be your accent and pronunciation.
Old March 28th 04, 11:31 PM
MRQB

What is the cost differance in a overhauled turn cordinator Vs. a new? if it
is only a little ill buy new