Garmin 340 - IPod player

Old January 17th 04, 07:06 PM
Michael 182

Default Garmin 340 - IPod player

I have a Garmin 340 that I'd like to play my IPod through. Is it simple to
pull the the audio panel and hook up a plug that will allow my IPod to plug
into the Music 1 channel? Am I allowed to do this or does an A&P, or
Avionics shop have to be involved?

Any help appreciated.

Michael

Old January 18th 04, 07:16 AM
Scott Skylane

Michael 182 wrote:
I have a Garmin 340 that I'd like to play my IPod through. Is it simple to
pull the the audio panel and hook up a plug that will allow my IPod to plug
into the Music 1 channel? Am I allowed to do this or does an A&P, or
Avionics shop have to be involved?

Any help appreciated.

Michael

Micheal,

It is one of the simpler jobs, technically, to install stereo plugs to
the audio panel. However, gaining physical access to the panel's
connector will probably be a bit of a challenge. If you are handy with
tools, and wiring in particular, go for it. Otherwise, it's one of
those simple, "quick" jobs that your avionics shop will end up having a
lot of time wrapped into.

I'm surprised this wasn't done during the initial install, would have
added about 1-2% to the total labor cost. Oh well, FWIW, I run my iPod
through my PMA6000, and it truly is a wonderful way to motor down the
airways!

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054

Old January 18th 04, 02:53 PM
Michael 182

Thanks, Scott. It was originally comnnected to a panel mounted CD player.
I'd rather plug in my iPod.

Michael

Old January 18th 04, 03:34 PM
Dave

"Michael 182" wrote in message news:EIfOb.76594$nt4.107692@attbi_s51...
I have a Garmin 340 that I'd like to play my IPod through. Is it simple to
pull the the audio panel and hook up a plug that will allow my IPod to plug
into the Music 1 channel? Am I allowed to do this or does an A&P, or
Avionics shop have to be involved?

Any help appreciated.

Michael

Assuming you had the unit installed(as opposed to having bought the
plane with it in already), shame on your avionics installer for *NOT*
installing the music jacks. They are part of the installation process
and the unit allows 2 - one for the pilot/copilot and one for rear
passengers. There is no jack on the GMA340 - you need to wire a 1/8"
stereo jack into the multi-pin connector.

I'd go back and ask the shop why they omitted this part of the
installation.

When it's installed, you plug the IPod or any audio source into the
1/8" stereo jack conveniently placed in the panel. There's also a
switch that's supposed to be wired into the panel so you can choose to
mute music during intercom chatter or let it keep playing in the
background while you chat with your pax. The music will ALWAYS mute
when a radio transmission comes on. The PS Engineering models(6000,
7000, etc.) mute music under both conditions.
Old January 18th 04, 06:53 PM
W9MV

The PS Engineering models(6000,
7000, etc.) mute music under both conditions.

Just a small correction, while it is true that the PMA6000 will mute the music
during both intercom and radio activity, the PMA7000 series has a dedicated
front panel switch labeled "ICS". Its function is to allow the pilot to select
whether radio and intercom mutes the music or elect to activate the karaoke
mode.
It is the karaoke mode that I use most often, otherwise, the music continously
plays and mutes, plays and mutes.......a scenario which could prove to be
frustrating.
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.
Old January 18th 04, 09:35 PM
Maule Driver

"Scott Skylane"
I'm surprised this wasn't done during the initial install, would have
added about 1-2% to the total labor cost. Oh well, FWIW, I run my iPod
through my PMA6000, and it truly is a wonderful way to motor down the
airways!

My shop installed th stereo plug for my Garmin. Originally ran a portable
CD player thru it but didn't do it often. Do it with IPOD all the time and
it works great. The muting works as advertised and I've found my self
flying enroute IFR with music... something I never expected I would do.