Real Life (in IMC) IFR training

Old November 2nd 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Real Life (in IMC) IFR training

I am looking for a flight training school , which provides IFR
training in actaul IMC condition on a series of cross country flight .
I am a IFR rated private pilot with about 8 -10 hours of real IMC
flying and I would like to build my confidence by flying with a
trained and experienced pilot.
Please let me know if you are aware of any schools or group that will
provide such a real life IFR training.
I live in Mid west area .
Any help would we appreciated.
Thanks.

Old November 2nd 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article .com,
" wrote:

I am looking for a flight training school , which provides IFR
training in actaul IMC condition on a series of cross country flight .
I am a IFR rated private pilot with about 8 -10 hours of real IMC
flying and I would like to build my confidence by flying with a
trained and experienced pilot.
Please let me know if you are aware of any schools or group that will
provide such a real life IFR training.
I live in Mid west area .
Any help would we appreciated.
Thanks.

Try http://www.ifrwest.com/. I've never flown with them, but everything I
hear about them is good.
Old November 2nd 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dan[_1_]

If a school won't fly with you in actual, that is a pretty poor place
to train. You may be able to find some private instructors to go up
with you.

--Dan

Old November 2nd 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy N5804F[_1_]

I am training for my Instrument ticket.
My CFII has a strong belief that during training we fly on actual IFR flight
plans and in IMC as much as possible.
He tells me where we are going and my task is to plan the route, file the
IFR plan and fully brief him, before getting my own clearance.
I also get to decide which instrument approach to request at the destination
airport.
Wherever possible we are flying in IMC and then I get the chance to take the
hood off.
If we cannot find IMC altitudes, I keep the hood on for the entire flight
after passing 500ft until down to Minimums at the destination airport.
He allows some, but not continual, use of the single axis autopilot which is
coupled to the GNS530 via a roll steering convertor.
In fact these flights are achieving objectives for both of us.
For me - I am training for my Instrument ticket, for my CFII - He is getting
help from me in using the GNS530 as a full flight management tool.
When I get my ticket, for sure I will pretty familier with working in the
System [and in IMC], but it is a steep learning curve doing it this way !

--
Roy
Piper Archer II

Old November 2nd 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Blanche

Dave Butler wrote:
wrote:
I am looking for a flight training school , which provides IFR
training in actaul IMC condition on a series of cross country flight .
I am a IFR rated private pilot with about 8 -10 hours of real IMC
flying and I would like to build my confidence by flying with a
trained and experienced pilot.
Please let me know if you are aware of any schools or group that will
provide such a real life IFR training.
I live in Mid west area .
Any help would we appreciated.

I fly for Angel Flight, and I've had pilots ride along as copilot for
this purpose. Call Angel Flight and ask. While you're at it, volunteer.
Your pilot may or may not be an instructor, but is likely experienced in
IMC and IFR procedures. You may or may not get any time manipulating the
controls, but observation time is helpful, too.

And I'm doing the same now. For example, I've got a 3 hr (each way)
AF trip coming up. The CFI will be my mission assistant (and I've
convinced him to join!) on the way down with the pax. On the way
home, he'll be the safety pilot and I'll be under the hood.

Old November 3rd 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Most instructors would jump at the chance of flying in IMC because they
can log it as instrument time, and also count it towards their IFR
currency.

I think any flight school should be able to work with you on this. Ask
them you give you a call when they have a cancellation due to weather
with a VFR student. I doubt anyone would say no to this offer.
But you have to remember that IMC weather is not always predictable,
and you can't schedule these flights in advance. Also, not all IMC is
flyable. As we approach winter, you have to watch out for icing.

Old November 3rd 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Find a CFII who is also an experienced charter or freight
pilot if you want to get the best training in how to read
the weather, use the system and get the most out of your
airplane.

oups.com...