Torque Wrench Calibration

Old June 30th 09, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Default Torque Wrench Calibration

coffelt2 wrote:
snip
In the Air Farce we were supposed to click the break type torque
wrench three times at the lowest setting before using it. This was
supposed to spread the lubrication inside.

I like the idea of taking the wrench to a shop to check calibration.
Having said that, in my first shop in the USAF we calibrated torque
wrenches so I may be a tad biased. The machine we used was huge and
probably weighed close to a ton. Torque wrenches in the USAF are
periodically calibrated, I forget the cycle, and taken in for
calibration if dropped or abused.

snip
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Heck, Dan, in the Air Force there was an alternate torque measuring
system that didn't even require a torque wrench. (PMEL calibrated, of
course)
Simply "strip" it and back off one half turn. Farm boys from Georgia taught
me that.

Old Chief Lynn

We used the "tighten it until it breaks, then back off a half turn"
and the "finger tight, plus a quarter turn" methods. QC wasn't fond of
the response "two clicks of the left elbow" when we were asked what the
proper torque was. Wasn't the -2 T.O. series issued to sit on or to
protect ones knees on a B-4 stand? Not that I ever did that, you
understand, but there was talk.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old June 30th 09, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
coffelt2

"Dan" wrote in message
coffelt2 wrote:
[...]

Oh, yeah! Been retired for more than 30 years, and knees still have
the B-4 stand grate imprint. Never realized the -2 was so versatile!

Old Chief Lynn

Old June 30th 09, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

coffelt2 wrote:

"Dan" wrote in message
coffelt2 wrote:
[...]

Checklists were also great on grates. Pity they weren't good for
protection from joining the KC-135 waffle head club, I joined in 1975.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old June 30th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stu Fields

"coffelt2" wrote in message
[...]

Hey don't forget the proper torque on the propellor retaining nut on the
4360 was "All you can with both hands on the Cheater Bar, then a 1/4 turn
more". Note proper Cheater Bar was 6' long.

Stu Fields B-36 engine change crew.

Old July 1st 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

On Jun 29, 9:53*pm, "coffelt2" wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but ya gotta know the difference between metric and SAE torque.

SAE = 1 3/4 grunts
Metric = Gutentieght
Old July 1st 09, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

bildan wrote:
[...]

Good'n'tight is GI German for good day. Peter strain or I'll be the
same are GI German for goodbye.

Not that I would know anything about that stuff there.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old July 1st 09, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim[_8_]

"Dan" wrote in message
bildan wrote:
[...]

I beg to differ. Good'n'tight is German for virgin.

Old July 1st 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Tim wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
bildan wrote:
[...]

Was Gesundheit if you jerked the wrench if you sneezed suddenly??

Old July 1st 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Jerry Wass wrote:
Tim wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
bildan wrote:
[...]

A cummerbund is a German orgy.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Thin 3/8" wrench RST Engineering Home Built 10 November 17th 06 01:52 PM
Flight wrench question R.H. Piloting 14 June 25th 06 03:48 PM
Ignition lead nut-wrench jerry wass Aviation Marketplace 0 April 8th 06 03:55 AM
Wrench size for KI214 & KI201 OBS knob Roy Page Owning 7 March 11th 05 11:07 PM
Volkslogger Calibration Ray Lovinggood Soaring 5 September 13th 03 04:56 PM