PING: Bertie - New Aviation Discovery

Old August 11th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,alt.aratzio
Aratzio

Default PING: Bertie - New Aviation Discovery

In an amazing overstatement of the incredibly obvious, Alaska Airlines
spokeswoman Mariann Lindsey has stated:

"The state of Alaska has many active volcanoes, we try to avoid them
because they affect airplane engines"

Yes, folks, large pieces of rock firmly (and not so firmly) attached
to earth are considered a bad thing for an airplane engine.

No word was given on how passengers or the rest of the aircraft are
affected by volcanoes.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2008/0...markets22.html

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6gp4zy
Old August 11th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eeyore[_2_]

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2008/0...s-oil-markets-...

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6gp4zy

She is referring to volcanic ash.

Damn, and I was hoping for a more entertaining reply !

Graham

Old August 12th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

"buttman" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 3:00 pm, Aratzio wrote:
In an amazing overstatement of the incredibly obvious, Alaska Airlines
spokeswoman Mariann Lindsey has stated:

"The state of Alaska has many active volcanoes, we try to avoid them
because they affect airplane engines"

Yes, folks, large pieces of rock firmly (and not so firmly) attached
to earth are considered a bad thing for an airplane engine.

No word was given on how passengers or the rest of the aircraft are
affected by volcanoes.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2008/0...s-oil-markets-...

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6gp4zy

She is referring to volcanic ash.

Somewhat related ----- I got into the habit of checking this site regularly:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/
(OK OK -- my existence is getting a little boring.:-) and I've noticed that
the Aleutian Island arc has been getting more and more seismically active
during the past week or so. Especially around Adak. Usually this map shows
a total of around 200 quakes during a 1 week period. It's been hovering
around 400 lately with the Aleutian area, with the arc extending into the
mainland, accounting for more than 250 of these now. Major event coming?
....or maybe all the activity is relieving pressure on the area keeping a
major one from occuring.? I know that the second largest recorded
earthquake was at Prince William Sound.

TP

Old August 12th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Eeyore wrote in
:

buttman wrote:

Aratzio wrote:
In an amazing overstatement of the incredibly obvious, Alaska
Airlines spokeswoman Mariann Lindsey has stated:

"The state of Alaska has many active volcanoes, we try to avoid
them because they affect airplane engines"

Yes, folks, large pieces of rock firmly (and not so firmly)
attached to earth are considered a bad thing for an airplane
engine.

No word was given on how passengers or the rest of the aircraft are
affected by volcanoes.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2008/0...es-oil-markets
-...

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6gp4zy

She is referring to volcanic ash.

Damn, and I was hoping for a more entertaining reply !

Of course you were, planespotter.

Bertie

Old August 12th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,alt.aratzio
Darkwing

Default Bertie - New Aviation Discovery

"Aratzio" wrote in message
In an amazing overstatement of the incredibly obvious, Alaska Airlines
spokeswoman Mariann Lindsey has stated:

"The state of Alaska has many active volcanoes, we try to avoid them
because they affect airplane engines"

Yes, folks, large pieces of rock firmly (and not so firmly) attached
to earth are considered a bad thing for an airplane engine.

No word was given on how passengers or the rest of the aircraft are
affected by volcanoes.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2008/0...markets22.html

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6gp4zy

There was an episode of "Seconds to Disaster" (if I recall correctly) that
had the story of a jet flying through volcanic ash, the plane glowed a weird
color with St Elmo's Fire, the engines shot flames out and eventually quit,
the wind screen became opaque, it was a helluva story. They finally got out
of it and landed safely, the engines refired after they got out of the plume
and the windscreen had a really small area the pilot could still see out of
to land from! The flight was from Italy or Greece or something, I have
forgotten where.

Old August 12th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,alt.aratzio
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Darkwing wrote:
"Aratzio" wrote in message
[...]

I once dove a fighter through a simple rainstorm. It stripped the paint
off the airplane :-)
Volcanic ash would play havoc with an engine (not to mention the paint
job :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 12th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tech Support

I flew a T Bird thru hail at 35,000 ft plus. Dented the scoops,
leading edges of wings and horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Also
wiped all the navigation lights off. No engine damage.

Sounded like a buzz saw for just s few seconds.

Big John

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:09:44 -0400, "Darkwing"
theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:

.. .

Old August 12th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On Aug 13, 3:44*am, Tech Support wrote:
I flew a T Bird thru hail at 35,000 ft plus. Dented the scoops,
leading edges of wings and horizontal and vertical stabilizers. *Also
wiped all the navigation lights off. No engine damage.

I flew a 172 though an intense rain cloudburst and washed all the dead
insects off and you know how well they stick!

Cheers
Old August 13th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
f-newguy

Tech Support wrote in message
I flew a T Bird thru hail at 35,000 ft plus. Dented the scoops,
leading edges of wings and horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Also
wiped all the navigation lights off. No engine damage.

Sounded like a buzz saw for just s few seconds.

Every time I get to thinking I'm an airman, you post one of these stories
and make me feel like a wussie.

Thanks a lot, Big John. ;^)

nRFD: unmoderated newsgroup rec.aviation.bertie-maxwell Jim Logajan Piloting 6 May 14th 08 06:01 AM
About Bertie Eeyore[_2_] Piloting 50 January 26th 08 08:04 AM
For Bertie Dudley Henriques[_2_] Piloting 58 October 7th 07 06:10 PM
is Bertie BWB? oilsardine[_2_] Piloting 4 May 29th 07 09:16 PM
Anybody know who Bertie the Bunyip is? Walt Piloting 21 March 30th 07 01:58 AM