Home machining

Old August 15th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Default Home machining

Can anyone recommend a good forum for home machine work? Not the news
group, that's a madhouse...

Tony
Old August 15th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Anthony W wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good forum for home machine work? Not the news
group, that's a madhouse...

Tony

If you want a place with good customer support try:
http://littlemachineshop.com/

The people there always answer my questions about how to do things
and the make suggestions for trouble I get myself into.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old August 15th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
R[_2_]

Anthony W wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good forum for home machine work? Not the news
group, that's a madhouse...

Tony

The Home Machinist
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/

If you have some metalworking or machining experience this group has the
most expertise. They do not tolerate well inane questions from wannabes.
A wealth of knowledge can be gained by, even, lurking here.

Practical Machinist
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/
Old August 15th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Thanx guys I have book marked those pages.

Tony
Old August 16th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stu Fields

"R" wrote in message
Anthony W wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good forum for home machine work? Not the news
group, that's a madhouse...

Tony

The Home Machinist
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/

If you have some metalworking or machining experience this group has the
most expertise. They do not tolerate well inane questions from wannabes. A
wealth of knowledge can be gained by, even, lurking here.

Practical Machinist
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/

Thank you a bunch. The Practical Machinist is just what I've been looking
for...

Stu Fields Safari helicopter and now a Helicycle

Old August 16th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"R" wrote in message
Anthony W wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good forum for home machine work? Not the news
group, that's a madhouse...

Tony

The Home Machinist
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/

If you have some metalworking or machining experience this group has the
most expertise. They do not tolerate well inane questions from wannabes. A
wealth of knowledge can be gained by, even, lurking here.

Practical Machinist
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/

Looking at this thread makes me just a little curious whether the
relationship of cost and capability may have brought the CNC routing/milling
process to make precision foam cores--such as used in the Vari-Eze and its
derivatives--within reasonable reach of the home builder. The hot wire
method worked reasonably well in its day; but was limited to certain types
of foam and also resulted in a slight sag in the shape of the resulting
parts.

Of course, I have kept a list of the above forum locations; and I am curious
if anyone happens to know the present cost of setting up that sort of CNC
system for the cores in something like a Vari-Eze.

Peter

Old August 16th 09, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Peter Dohm wrote:
"R" wrote in message
Anthony W wrote:
[...]

I would imagine it's a matter of scale. In theory it would be
possible, I have seen kits for 2 dimensional systems for using
oxy-acetylene torches to cut sheet metal and a home PC. I wonder if such
a sytem could be modified to 3 dimensions. Rigidity of the machinery
would require a rather massive frame. One additional consideration would
be dust collection.

I wonder if the system could also be used to finish the part after
layup.

A creative mind would be able make some amazing shapes.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old August 16th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

"Dan" wrote in message
Peter Dohm wrote:
"R" wrote in message
Anthony W wrote:
[...]

Here is a starting point :-)

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Cheaply-and-/

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

Old August 16th 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

"Anthony W" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good forum for home machine work? Not the news
group, that's a madhouse...

Tony

Lately the signal to noise ratio has gone sour, but

rec,crafts.metalworking

has been pretty fair, too. Lots of knowledgeable people still there, but an
increasing number of cross-posters dump on it, too. Just have to look and
ignore some threads, posters.

Flash

Old August 16th 09, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Flash wrote:
Lately the signal to noise ratio has gone sour, but

rec,crafts.metalworking

has been pretty fair, too. Lots of knowledgeable people still there, but an
increasing number of cross-posters dump on it, too. Just have to look and
ignore some threads, posters.

Flash

I tried that group for a few day and I found it not worth the insanity...

Tony