Windsock Life Span

Old August 29th 03, 01:48 PM
Corky Scott

Default Windsock Life Span

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:03:38 -0400, "Jimmy Galvin"
wrote:

Hi All:
I built a grass strip on my property. I put up a windsock that I bought from
Sporty's. It is 18"dia. x 8'1". I has only lasted about 4 months. There are
vertical cracks all along the length and I'm sure it is not reading the wind
properly anymore. It is constructed of "long-life polyester fabric with
double-stitched seams". Is this a normal life span of a windsock or would
another type last longer?
Thank you,
Jimmy

I've seen ads in "Sporty's" for windsocks made from aluminum. Bet
they don't deteriorate much from UV exposure.

Corky Scott

Old August 29th 03, 02:12 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Hi All:
I built a grass strip on my property. I put up a windsock that I bought from
Sporty's. It is 18"dia. x 8'1". I has only lasted about 4 months. There are
vertical cracks all along the length and I'm sure it is not reading the wind
properly anymore. It is constructed of "long-life polyester fabric with
double-stitched seams". Is this a normal life span of a windsock or would
another type last longer?
Thank you,
Jimmy

I've seen ads in "Sporty's" for windsocks made from aluminum. Bet
they don't deteriorate much from UV exposure.

Corky Scott

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bet they don't get very 'limp' with no wind, either. g

Howz about.....
http://www.dhwgraphics.com/tetradirect/tetradirect.html

Barnyard BOb -

Old August 29th 03, 02:34 PM
Corky Scott

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:12:47 -0500, Barnyard BOb --
wrote:

I've seen ads in "Sporty's" for windsocks made from aluminum. Bet
they don't deteriorate much from UV exposure.

Corky Scott

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bet they don't get very 'limp' with no wind, either. g

Howz about.....
http://www.dhwgraphics.com/tetradirect/tetradirect.html

Barnyard BOb -

Actually, they do. They are built with an outer half cone that is
attached to the pole, and an inner half cone that is pivoted on the
horizontal axis to the larger outer cone. So the inner extension can
display no, or low wind conditions by hanging down. Not as limply as
the fabric sock, of course.

Corky Scott

Old August 29th 03, 06:03 PM
Jimmy Galvin

It is segmented into several lengths 8" +/- like a series of windsock pieces
held together by cords.
"Gary Chenier" wrote in message
om...
"Jimmy Galvin" wrote in message

Hi All:
I built a grass strip on my property. I put up a windsock that I bought

from
Sporty's. It is 18"dia. x 8'1". I has only lasted about 4 months. There

are
vertical cracks all along the length and I'm sure it is not reading the

wind
properly anymore. It is constructed of "long-life polyester fabric with
double-stitched seams". Is this a normal life span of a windsock or

would
another type last longer?
Thank you,
Jimmy

Is the material ripped or is the finish on the material cracked? I
usually get about a year. I have tried socks from several different
sources and they all lasted about the same lenght of time. UV is the
worst but temp. extremes like we get here in Wisconsin is hard on them
too.

Old August 29th 03, 06:06 PM
Jimmy Galvin

Is my Sun more powerful than our Sun? My Sun is beaming in Connecticut.
"Steve Thomas" wrote in message
nk.net...
My current windsock has ben up for over 2 years and is fine. The previous
one lasted about 4 years. It probably depends on how much UV it gets?

--
Have a good one!

Steve
www.americanspiritppc.com

Old August 29th 03, 06:27 PM
Jimmy Galvin

I didn't mean to come across as a smart ass in the last post but I'm not
asking this thing to do more than what it was made to do. It has to sit out
in the Sun. Where did you purchase yours?

Old August 30th 03, 04:26 PM
pac plyer

"Jimmy Galvin" wrote in message ...
I didn't mean to come across as a smart ass in the last post but I'm not
asking this thing to do more than what it was made to do. It has to sit out
in the Sun.

Hey Jim,

I gave up ten years ago on the inferior quality Sporty's Windsock.
Mine came apart about like yours, right at the fold creases in less
than a year. I now get larger industrial quality windsocks from my
Cheveron petro dealer. (Go to a truck fuel depo, I'm guessin they
stock em for helicopters or something.) I think the textile is more UV
resistant and the re-enforcements and stitching are way better. I just
buy a case of W100 Aeroshell and ask for a windsock for the airport.
If they have one in stock, they are free and they last two years. :-)
Of course by last, I mean I run em until a large chunk rips off.
(cheap ******* technique.)

have fun on the new strip.

pacplyer
Old August 30th 03, 11:54 PM
Building The Perfect Beast

Is this a normal life span of a windsock or would
another type last longer?
Thank you,
Jimmy

Jimmy,

I usually get at least a year out of mine. It seems that UV is hard on them
color-wise, but what seems to me to be the most damaging is freezing rain. It
gets frozen solid and then the wind kicks it around, cracking the ice on it and
causing the fabric to "crack" too. The ones from oil companies are good, as
noted, and I've also gotten them from Aerosock:
http://www.aerosock.com
I've always had best luck by taking them down when I'm not going to flying for
an extended period.
Old September 1st 03, 12:24 PM
Barnyard BOb --

(Building The Perfect Beast) wrote:

Is this a normal life span of a windsock or would
another type last longer?
Thank you,
Jimmy

Jimmy,

The ones from oil companies are good, as
noted, and I've also gotten them from Aerosock:
http://www.aerosock.com

At 3GV we have an _AIR BP_windsock that
is going strong that is well over a year old.

Barnyard BOb