Blue Angels F-18A Hornet on E-Bay

Old February 11th 04, 09:53 PM
John Carrier

The Aluminum assassin. For the sheer joy of flying a jet, I don't think
anything else is close. It fits like a custom Oxxford blazer.

R / John

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Doug- If money were no object, it'd be nice to get a fleet of jets for

all
those
folks in this news group and hold a 1v1 derby. As a follow-on, anybody

want
to predict the winner and his choice of platform? BRBR

A-4F+..visual, 1 mile abeam start..Guns only. I have been behind more than

few 'cat 4(+) A/C in my trusty 'Dog'(even Hornuts)..I love it when they

decide
to enter MY phonebooth.

Why the 'energy fight' was 'borrowed' from the Isrealis..do they still

teach it
when vs. something like a Mig-29?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old February 12th 04, 03:48 PM
Pechs1

Does the F/A-22 have a gun??

How well does it fly slow? Is the pilot comfy at 50-60 kts? Will the 'puter
allow it to get that slow? or is it like a F-16/18/15 that is not great at slow
speed flat scissor type stuff/
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old February 12th 04, 04:09 PM
nafod40

Pechs1 wrote:
Does the F/A-22 have a gun??

Speaking of guns, I think helicopter hunting in an A-10 would be fun.

Old February 12th 04, 04:56 PM
José Herculano

Does the F/A-22 have a gun??

It does. A slight variation of the good ol' 20mm Vulcan.

How well does it fly slow? Is the pilot comfy at 50-60 kts? Will the

'puter
allow it to get that slow? or is it like a F-16/18/15 that is not great at

slow
speed flat scissor type stuff/

That thing is an aerodynamic wonder, with BIG engines AND thrust vectoring.
It reputedly has the best post-stall maneuvering capability this side of
civilization.
_____________
José Herculano

Old February 12th 04, 05:49 PM
José Herculano

Speaking of guns, I think helicopter hunting in an A-10 would be fun.

In Desert Storm they got two that way. Sole air-to-air gun kills of the
conflict. A Tomcat got an helo with a Sidewinder, and a Mudhen got another
on the hover with a GBU!
_____________
José Herculano

Old February 13th 04, 07:00 AM
Jake Donovan

Pechs,

The load out on the F-22 is 2 Sidewinders, 6 AMRAAM. 2 1000lb JDAMs and a
20MM Gun.

It's speed envelope is pretty impressive from no after burner super-cruise
to thrust vectoring.

Interestingly, it looks bound for the Reserves and ANG as the F35 comes
online.

Jake

Old February 13th 04, 01:36 PM
in2focus

The Virginian-Pilot has noticed the sale on eBay and posted an article
with interesting info about the jet and seller. Here's the link:
http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories...6097&ran=47013
Old February 13th 04, 02:34 PM
Pechs1

Does the F/A-22 have a gun??

It does. A slight variation of the good ol' 20mm Vulcan. BRBR

Hoooray, I was worried that the 'big boys' would make that mistake again.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old February 13th 04, 02:39 PM
Pechs1

Doug- I've flown against the A-4 (though it was a VC-8 jet, and I don't think
they
had Super F's). Regardless, I had no trouble with him in a
slats-out/slow-speed/in-close fight, and no... I'm not necessarily the "ace
of the base." BRBR

Unless I'm wrong and not to dispariidge VC-8, but those were 'T' models,
probably with a -6 engine.

And I wonder how much ACM those boys got.

In a trusty F, I have had no problem with F-16/15/18 as well...Slow flat,
around 60-70 kts...going down at the time but still flyin'...

Doug HOWEVER: The newest flight control computer PROM on the Hornet would
beat
the Steroid Scooter hands down. The enhanced FCC Hornet does unnatural
stuff at slow speeds now. Totally controllable nose. BRBR

good....glad to hear it cuz the next A/C they may see 'may' be a
Flanker/Fulcrum/Mirage/Rafale..

Particularly the F-15 with a rigid, but shaped wing. great up high, poor low
and slow.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)